Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
New flat screen TV needs better 12 volt speaker system, any ideas ?

It seems to be a nice Tv in all aspects except sound. I am not expecting the 1200 watt sound I have at home but it's a little tinny sounding. We will live with it if need be but I hoped someone had a fix for this.
Thanks
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Sound

I bought a set of Bose speakers for our trailer TV. They do an awesome job.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
...little tinny sounding. ...
Thanks
Ours was both tinny and couldn't get the sound up, menu had sound changes and I was able to put all the sound out of left speaker, last year was ok now this year it is back to low volume and will have to see if your fix of new speakers will improve it. I didn't wire it into the old amp when I replace the crt tv 3 yrs ago, maybe if that still works. Did you replace the builtin sound system when you upgraded.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I simply installed an AV receiver in one of the top cabinets and installed a surround sound speaker system. Works for me.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I installed the Bose CineMate GS Series II when I upgraded my TV's, and I am very satisfied with the clarity and sound.

I

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Although not 12volt, I purchased one of these:

It is inexpensive but made a big difference. I plug it into the inverter when needed off grid or just use it normally when hooked up to electric.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My neighbor put an auto stereo amplifier, speakers and a monstrous sub-woofer in his SOB: his son chose the components so it is a giant boom-box. There's a wide range of price points and power available. I suggest searching for class D (for digital) car amplifiers, and I also recommend a sub-woofer: it really rounds out the sound, especially if you will do as we do occasionally and watch a movie in the evening.

I have done business with Crutchfield over the years and really like their service. You could get a couple of home-use speakers and hang them on the wall, put the sub in a cabinet (mine is under the dining booth seat) with the amp. I am still running on 120vac, though since my Sony tv upgrade is 120vac.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
... You could get a couple of home-use speakers and hang them on the wall, put the sub in a cabinet (mine is under the dining booth seat) with the amp. I am still running on 120vac, though since my Sony tv upgrade is 120vac.
Please post when you are going "camping" I would cancel my reservations if I had to endure 3 hrs of second hand sound pollution. System would work if you decide to project movies for all the neighbors on the side of your MH. Some CG even have a rule against noise.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My system is only audible outside the moho if I open the windows and crank it up. I don't do that, though. I have a 10 watt amp for each channel so you can camp next to me.

On one of our first trips the big 5th wheel & extended family next to us had lots of people, tunes and green wood smoke, made us whose if that is how it is always. They quieted down about 9 PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
It seems to be a nice Tv in all aspects except sound. I am not expecting the 1200 watt sound I have at home but it's a little tinny sounding. We will live with it if need be but I hoped someone had a fix for this.
Thanks

I was looking for a 12 volt solution for this problem. We want to park the LY and only reach for the remote not plug ins and or generators. We found what looks like a solution it's a blue tooth transmitter plugged into the tv and one of those wonderful (small ) blue tooth speakers, sounds great, runs on it's own charge, doesn't cost much (under $75 on Amazon )and we can set it where we want it.
No it doesn't sound like a 1200 watt 7.1 surround sound with powered subwoofer that has a warning label that reads
( May damage the floor) but it works well with the 12 vote system in the rv.
I did made a sound system with sub woofer out of a computer sound system, it's in the back bed room but it all needs 120 volts to work.
Hope this helps someone looking for the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bose SoundLink mini, Bluetooth and audio cable compatible.

Even take to picnic table outside and run off Smarty phone or small radio. That way one device, multi uses.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I was looking for an easy solution to this exact same problem plus one of the tv speakers not putting out sound, volume was the issue with the front a/c on it was hard to hear. Decided the go back to AS's original solution, by using the earphone jack was able to send signal to the already installed theatre amp that is 12v, it is only mono but tv doesn't need stereo
Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
New flat screen TV needs better 12 volt speaker system, any ideas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Bose SoundLink mini, Bluetooth and audio cable compatible.

Even take to picnic table outside and run off Smarty phone or small radio. That way one device, multi uses.

Sounds like a versatile option. However, how does one connect the Bose speaker to the TV? What sort of audio cable does it use?

KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Ditto on the Bose Mini- Soundlink... This speaker is amazing, and I often take it out to the picnic table in the morning and stream Pandora through my iPad while reading and having a cup of coffee.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
If your TV has a headphone jack, get a patch cord with 1/8 inch (or I believe 3.5mm) male stereo plugs on each end. One end into your headphone jack, one end into the stereo input of the Bose. Better yet, get a Bluetooth adapter which will plug into your TV's headphone jack and transmit the signal to the Bose.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Sounds like a versatile option. However, how does one connect the Bose speaker to the TV? What sort of audio cable does it use?

There are a couple options..
- cable from the 'audio' out to Stereo male plug into Bose
- Bluetooth device on the 'headphone' jack, linked to Bose
- cable from headphone jack to the Bose headphone/line input

Any of the above.. but, with the second and third options you can control the 'volume' using your TV remote... just set the level on the BOSE and have fun.

I use the same 'cable' from the headphone jack on my portable radio AND iPhone... that saves power on the iPhone because it doesn't have to 'transmit' the signal to the BOSE over BT (Bluetooth).
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Sounds perfect. Thanks for the tips!

KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt