Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Need help with "No Dash Fan"

I lost all three speeds on the dash fan. I'm lost as to why it happened because the last event was shutting off the engine to gas up. Then after restart, no fan at all. I also lost power to the camera/monitor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm 900 miles from home and just know I will be need defroster fan at some point of the return trip. Thank you.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What do you have? Is it a motor home? Is it a trailer? If it's a trailer, what kind of tow vehicle?You said you lost your backup camera?
This may sound stupid, but you may not have the key cycled all the way "on" after starting. Try moving the key back a small bit after you start the engine, and see if the fan and everything comes on.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
check the fuses

I'm assuming you're talking about a motorhome and having just resolved a different but similar problem, it sounds like a blown fuse. Our 12V fuse blowing was caused by a short in a wire (due to door rework). Could be some component shorted/failed and is blowing a fuse. Trace back from there.
-Ken
Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
If its not a fuse, determine if the camera and fan are on the same fuse circuit. There could be other things that have gone offline too and you just havent discovered them yet. Sometimes you can have several fuses that feed off the same grid and protect different circuits individually. A simple test light or multimeter should get you your answer fairly quick. Like Ken said.. Just start tracing back from the fan.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
No Fan

Vin,
Thanks for the good advice. I will start from the blower to the switch. What was strange about the situation is why it happened when I shut the engine down. I heard a momentary beep, but never gave it any thought at the time. I should have mentioned I have a 2003 motor home with the 8.1 engine. I like it but it's like "Fix and repair daily". After any trip, I have repairs.

BTW. That sure is a nice AS you have. That's my next dream. Thanks again.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote