Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Need help/advice re: cleaning exterior of LY

I have been advised to use a chlorine/dish soap/water mixture to clean the exterior of my exposed to the elements Land Yacht (fiberglass exterior).

And then, wax it!

Any advice re: cleaning/waxing my MH would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Waxing

I want you both to do this project together. It's not hard, but the Land Yacht has a lot of surface area. The hard part is finding a shady place to do the waxing.
The cleaning is the important part. Washing tips you got are good. I might ad that old tooth brushes are great tools to wash the cracks and crevices.
Start with the roof and work down, lots of rinsing as you go. If it's no clean, the waxing will lock the dirt in. Extra attention to black streak and rust runs are better addressed before you think about wax.
The key to waxing is MICROFIBER towels and a good cleaner polish. I recently found Liquid Diamond by Simoniz. Unlike the instructions I apply it with a small piece of terry cloth towel and apply to a 2 X 2' square section, rubbing to lift any remaining dirt or oxidation. Let dry and
wipe off with the Microfiber towels.
It's fast and easy, but there are lots of 4 foot squares to do. Areas can be other sizes or shapes, but I don't like the polish to get rock hard before buffing it off (Makes it harder to do)
Have fun and you'll enjoy the shine.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Frank, I've never tried the ingredients you mentioned, but when I got my 33' 1993 it too was badly oxidized. I got quotes to have it rubbed out, all were around a $1000.00 So I asked a body shop friend of mine and he recommended I use Turbo Cut a product made by Wizard automotive finishes. This was during the winter, and I had the coach parked inside a heated garage, so I decided I would do it myself. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures, the product did work amazingly well as compared to a couple other gelcoat cleaner/restorer I tried first. It does take alot of, rubbing, it's a pumus material you rub out on a terry cloth a small area at a time. You rub it to the point of almost being dry, and the dull pushes off leaving an obvious shine. Its a little slow going and blotchy the first time over, so I did mine a couple of times or more if areas needed it. This is a three step (3 different products) procedure, but I only used the first step which is Turbo Cut and the third step to polish it when finished, because the Turbo Cut worked so well. This product also shines the the acrylic front and back caps. After I had finished the MH I stopped in at the nearest Airstream dealer closest to where I live which was Weekley's, the owners asked me what I used to clean the end caps with, because they said they never had seen them clean up to that kind of a shine. I think it would be more difficult to use this product outside,dealing with sun. You would need a lot of shade. Having an enclosed place to work was an advantage. I tried using the product with a buffer, it worked, but I didn't like the results as well. So I opted to do it mostly by hand, let me stress, it was a lot of work - but the results make it look like a new coach, which it's been mistaken for on a number of occasions. (by those who don't know airstreams) Randy

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Paul, Randy;

Thanks for the advice.

The problem I'm going to have is that I do not have an enclosed space to work in.

Any ideas on materials I can use in the sun?

Safe Travels,

FRank

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Waxing a Land Yacht

I know there are shade trees near Jacksonville. You may have to find one you can move around as the sun passes west. That's plenty of shade, just avoid the direct heat that dries your wax to fast (makes it hard to remove)
There are waxes you can use in the sun, but in Florida the heat will kill you before you can finish waxing a Land Yacht in the direct sun light.
If it doesn't work, then consider buffing it (or having it done)
An experienced buffer can do one in a hurry with a body shop buffer and compound. Then you can wax it under the tree.
Have fun and drink lots of liquids. Ever notice old geezers polishing their
RV's in every campground? There are spray applicators that you can aspire to own and use to touch up you coach, but first you have to get it clean and shiny.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your advice.

Safe travels,

FRank

Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Hi Taxman,

I would recommend the 3M™ product, Finesse-it™, we have used this product in the marine industry on fiberglass boat hulls with great success. There is never much shade in a boat yard and this product works great.
We did a big job on our Land Yacht last year. We removed the old vinyl graphics, so it was easy for us to clean and polish the rig’s gelcoat. We cleaned and compounded the exterior of the coach before the new graphics where applied. We used Turtle Wax compound and a Makita buffer. We would have used 3M™ Finesse-it™, but we could not find it where we where.

Here is a link to the 3M product:

Finesse-it™ and 3M™ Compounds, Polishes and Accessories

And a link to a little video of our graphics project:

Good luck from one of those “old geezers polishing their RV's in the campground”.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Dear Bill & Deb,

Thanks for the tips! You folks did a beautiful job! I'm not into doing that just yet, although "Gypsy" certainly needs that kind of attention.

I'll have to be content with a general cleaning and waxing job this year.

Question: Where did you get the new graphics?

Safe travels,

FRank

Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
We had our graphics replaced by a sign shop. He had experience doing graphics for vehicles, race cars, ambulance, police, etc. We did the removal and prep work. That was by far the hardest and most time consuming part of the job. The coolest part was making one of the stripes match the color of the jeep we tow. The project made a large improvement it the appearance of the coach.

Enjoy,
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Legacy Diesel
Rayne , Louisiana
Shine

I used turtle wax buffing compound, took off old dead stuff left a good shine after very happy looks as good where i followed up w/ reg turtle wax as where i didnt rocknroll!
YACHTSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Legacy Diesel
Rayne , Louisiana
i got a local body shop to paint stripes so i could wax them cant wax vinyl too well
YACHTSTER is offline   Reply With Quote