Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Need Advice

Hello, All:
I have just joined the forum and have a fairly desperate need for heavy advice. I am 64 and considering retiring this year. I've never owned an Airstream and am in danger of becoming the proud owner of not one, but two.

First, I have agreed in principle to the purchase of a vintage Airstream 26 foot Land Yacht Overlander as a retirement project. The serial number plate by the door says S1 26 S 5623. Maybe 1956? Haven't had much luck decoding this on the internet. It is a definite fixer-upper. From what I can tell, the shell is fairly good. The door fits well. 2 of the windows have had the frames removed and plexiglass glued in. The rest appear repairable. The interior has been largely gutted by the current owner, and is pretty much trashed. Floor maybe not too bad. I can't see it for all the junk piled in there. Wiring is very old 1950s Romex. Toilet and shower (and associated plumbing) appear to be totally trashed. I'm afraid everything but the shell will have to be replaced/restored. (A/C, heat, stove, fridge, toilet/shower, cabinets, wiring, plumbing etc.) I couldn't even find the holding tank.

I have an extensive workshop and plenty of experience in electrical, plumbing, body work, auto mechanics, construction and woodworking. I would like to renovate this trailer and hopefully sell it to raise money to do a second one that I might want to keep. I'll leave that one out of the discussion for now.

Now to the advice: Presuming I have to do pretty much EVERYTHING to the interior of this thing, would any of you wiser, more experienced Airstream afficionados be able to hazard a guess as to whether I can restore it and not lose my proverbial shirt? I truly believe I have the skills to do anything that needs to be done, and shouldn't have to farm out any work. I have posted a little earnest money and have until Monday to make a decision. I think I can buy it for about $3,000.00. What research I have done seems to indicate that parts for this are about as common as frog hair, and generally leave me with the same feeling in my backside area as I had the day I bought my sweetheart's engagement ring. I have a strong suspicion that it will cost more than the result will be worth.

PLEASE understand I'm not asking anyone to guarantee the success of this project. I simply have NO experience with these things and need some friendly advice. I realize what I am asking. I have tons of photographs, but it is probably easiest to assume everything inside this thing will have to be replaced.

I know this was long, but if I don't get some help from somewhere with this decision, I will likely have to let it go. I deeply appreciate anyone who took the time to read this.

Kindest Regards

Mike
mboessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It is not so much the work involved, but the cost of everything that needs to be replaced/ renewed in the unit. I am close to your age, and have done work on the last 3 unit I have owned. Didn't make a nickel when I sold them,and if you counted the time spent I lost a bundle. Restoring is a labour of love. If I planned on restoring a trailer, it would be one that I was comfortable keeping and using. I think that you can find a better candidate to restore, and learn while doing the restoration. By the sounds of the description you have given, the shell is about the only good and salvagable part of the trailer. Most people that want a trailer of that vintage take it to a restoration shop and "pay the price", or buy one that has been proffesionally restored. They enjoy the rig and sell it when they no longer need or want it. Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you go ahed with the purchase and reno, ther are a lot of great people onn this site to help out with advice and places to source parts.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

If your goal is to make a profit, or at least break even -- "not lose my proverbial shirt" -- I would run away from this project.

Airstream restoration [on this scale] and profit are mutually exclusive concepts IMO.

If your goals are broader than break even, good luck to you!

Happy Trails.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Are you doing this to look for a project to keep you busy as the main reason? Then you'll use it, or sell it?

Or are you doing it because you want to spend your new retirement out traveling? If that's the case...buy a newer used one and hit the road!

Part of me wants to say 'go with your gut', as you stated that you don't feel the end result will be worth the investment. At least from a financial standpoint if that was your intent.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboessen View Post
. . . I deeply appreciate anyone who took the time to read this.
. . .
Mike, FYI I believe that a moderator has merged your two threads into this one.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

Columbia , Missouri
Thank you VERY MUCH to everyone who read that long post and most especially for your thoughtful replies. I see some of these things on ebay where they are asking crazy prices and couldn't help but wonder. I guess it's like the guys on Pawn Stars always say: "Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's valuable". My intent was definitely to try to flip it and make money. From what I'm hearing here, it sounds to me like you good people have saved me from jumping down a bad rabbit hole. I DO need some idea for something to keep me out of the bars in my retirement. Doesn't sound like this is the right call. Again, many thanks to all.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
I DO need some idea for something to keep me out of the bars in my retirement.
. . .
You could stop drinking, Mike.

I found that route to be easier than is often dramatized in our culture . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Keep looking and find yourself a '70's or '80's model that needs work but is all intact. This will be much easier for a "newbie" to learn on, and will give you a good rig to use for many years. I started with a 22 ft.Argosy that I upgraded and sold, then had a 31' 1976 Sovereign that I replaced a lot of things and rebuilt a lot of other things. Used the trailer the whole time and sold it for about $500 less than what I put in it. Not bad for 6 years of use. I now have the 34 ft. and am working on it. These trailers are a labour of love, and many of us enjoy working on them. It is definatley more fun to be able to use it while you are working on it, and is great conversations at Unit rallies with other like minded owners. Find a good one, and have some fun while you fix, repair, modify and use it!!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Just a thought... In Austin TX - and other places I'm sure - some of these trailers are converted into food trailers at mobile eateries. These eateries are popping up all over town. It been a trend for 10 years, at least. Maybe you could make a profit by restoring it to a clean, empty towable state, ready for someone to customize. Then flip it, with minimal investment on your part.
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Hello, All:
I have just joined the forum and have a fairly desperate need for heavy advice. I am 64 and considering retiring this year. I've never owned an Airstream and am in danger of becoming the proud owner of not one, but two.

First, I have agreed in principle to the purchase of a vintage Airstream 26 foot Land Yacht Overlander as a retirement project. The serial number plate by the door says S1 26 S 5623. Maybe 1956? Haven't had much luck decoding this on the internet. It is a definite fixer-upper. From what I can tell, the shell is fairly good. The door fits well. 2 of the windows have had the frames removed and plexiglass glued in. The rest appear repairable. The interior has been largely gutted by the current owner, and is pretty much trashed. Floor maybe not too bad. I can't see it for all the junk piled in there. Wiring is very old 1950s Romex. Toilet and shower (and associated plumbing) appear to be totally trashed. I'm afraid everything but the shell will have to be replaced/restored. (A/C, heat, stove, fridge, toilet/shower, cabinets, wiring, plumbing etc.) I couldn't even find the holding tank.

I have an extensive workshop and plenty of experience in electrical, plumbing, body work, auto mechanics, construction and woodworking. I would like to renovate this trailer and hopefully sell it to raise money to do a second one that I might want to keep. I'll leave that one out of the discussion for now.

Now to the advice: Presuming I have to do pretty much EVERYTHING to the interior of this thing, would any of you wiser, more experienced Airstream afficionados be able to hazard a guess as to whether I can restore it and not lose my proverbial shirt? I truly believe I have the skills to do anything that needs to be done, and shouldn't have to farm out any work. I have posted a little earnest money and have until Monday to make a decision. I think I can buy it for about $3,000.00. What research I have done seems to indicate that parts for this are about as common as frog hair, and generally leave me with the same feeling in my backside area as I had the day I bought my sweetheart's engagement ring. I have a strong suspicion that it will cost more than the result will be worth.

PLEASE understand I'm not asking anyone to guarantee the success of this project. I simply have NO experience with these things and need some friendly advice. I realize what I am asking. I have tons of photographs, but it is probably easiest to assume everything inside this thing will have to be replaced.

I know this was long, but if I don't get some help from somewhere with this decision, I will likely have to let it go. I deeply appreciate anyone who took the time to read this.

Kindest Regards

Mike
With that old a trailer, you should plan on fixing both the frame and subfloor (probably a shell off renovation to fix the frame and fully replace the subfloor). Most probably need to replace all the appliances (AC/Furnace/Fridge/Range/Water heater/Water pump/Converter/Fans). Then there is plumbing (fresh/waste tanks and plumbing lines), electrical lines, LP lines, and the drive train (axles, brakes, shocks).

Since you will be doing all the work, the cost would be lower. However, you need to add up the cost of parts to get an estimate. I would guess it would take you months to finish the work.

Unless you insist on owing a 1950's trailer, personally, I would go the route of finding a late 80's trailer and fixing that up. If you do the math, it might be much cheaper than renovating a 50's trailer and will probably take you less time to finish the project, and actually start using the trailer. Older trailers are very charming and I can understand why someone might to renovate them.

I would also chat with forum member Belegedhel who has renovated a trailer and has much information.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I posted a reply yesterday but for some reason "invalid thread" came back.

The gist of my post was plan on spending at least 10 to 15K and a couple years on your project. You can find a deal on a restoration someone started and could not finish if you wait. The year you are talking about is in high demand, but longer Airstreams do not fetch as much as shorter ones.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #12

Columbia , Missouri
Good Advice

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to consider my problem. The idea of making a bare shell (from ATownTX) was the most innovative thing I saw, but I have not been able to find a way to establish what that would bring. If I truly have to do a "shell off" restoration, I suspect I will still have more in it than it will bring. If I pay 3 grand for it and, say, a shell unit brings 6 grand, I will still probably be lucky to break even.

Maybe antique radio restoration.......
Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I posted a reply yesterday but for some reason "invalid thread" came back.

The gist of my post was plan on spending at least 10 to 15K and a couple years on your project. You can find a deal on a restoration someone started and could not finish if you wait. The year you are talking about is in high demand, but longer Airstreams do not fetch as much as shorter ones.
There was an identical and duplicate thread for about a minute...you may have got caught in its deletion.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Seems like there was someone on the forum that was throwing in the towel on a restoration. Might want to talk to them.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Thank you VERY MUCH to everyone who read that long post and most especially for your thoughtful replies. I see some of these things on ebay where they are asking crazy prices and couldn't help but wonder. I guess it's like the guys on Pawn Stars always say: "Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's valuable". My intent was definitely to try to flip it and make money. From what I'm hearing here, it sounds to me like you good people have saved me from jumping down a bad rabbit hole. I DO need some idea for something to keep me out of the bars in my retirement. Doesn't sound like this is the right call. Again, many thanks to all.
This is the right call to keep you out of the bars, guaranteed. Also guaranteed that you will not make any money trying to flip it. Best chance to make any money is do a floor repair, new wire and insulation, polish and sell as a project for someone else.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote