Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
Mosquitoes

Having just completed a great trip from AZ to Alaska in a 1998 WB Land Yacht I still have not figured out how all the mosquitoes managed to enter the unit. We would easily kill 75 before going to bed but by morning they would be back. What worked very well for sleeping was a mosquito net for the bed. We also liked the electronic hand held zapper, allows you to get them in flight. The real solution is to keep them out in the first place. Anyone have any good ideas where to start?

The AK highway is in the best shape it has been for years for anyone planning the trip.

Thanks

Scott

Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The only thing that works 100% is to travel in Jan.

Did you take any good pictures? Any other good stories?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiree View Post
Having just completed a great trip from AZ to Alaska in a 1998 WB Land Yacht I still have not figured out how all the mosquitoes managed to enter the unit. We would easily kill 75 before going to bed but by morning they would be back. What worked very well for sleeping was a mosquito net for the bed. We also liked the electronic hand held zapper, allows you to get them in flight. The real solution is to keep them out in the first place. Anyone have any good ideas where to start?

The AK highway is in the best shape it has been for years for anyone planning the trip.

Thanks

Scott

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Lightbulb

We have found lots of little places while working on our Airstream that could be issues. The first would be not leaving the rear access door off, we had several spots in the bathroom cabinet and around the toilet area that could be easy for them to enter, especially if we left the light on. Also the refrigerator vent (in ours the refrigerator is replaced and the vent is not being used) and stove vent make sure they are screened off properly. Are you leaving lights on at night that might be attracting them? check your window screens to make sure they are fitting tight. We had one with a slight bend and it held the center of the screen off the window frame. Can't really think of anything else. Hope this helps!
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I thought the mosquito was the state bird. Only place that has more and larger than Florida. I have a picture of them somewhere fishing for salmon. They were doing better than the bears.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
mosquitoes

Zip Dee made a full mosquitoes net enclosure for my 1992 excella 1000, it snapes to the awlning and snapes to the trailer skirting. don't know if still offered. been to alaska in winter, no mosquitoes but plenty of moose on the road.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
First go outside and get about 12 NON-venomous spiders. (well, ones that if they bite you you won't die, they all have venom) Let them set up some webs, and "bobs your uncle" you have no mosquitos left. or other flying bugs for that matter.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I personally have not had a problem with bugs in the trailer, but there was an article in Trailer Life magazine about what attracts mosquitoes and also an article on what you can do to keep them out of your trailer. Here is a link here to the latter. There is also an idea forum that may help resolve the problem.
Keep Bugs Out of Your RV!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiree View Post
Unfortunately not anymore, the Al-Can is closed between Teslin and Watson Lake due to mudslides. It's a mess up there and lots of stranded travelers.

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	539986_373200109400055_2036330916_n.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	160744  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
I have done the trip in previous years in a 25' Classic which did not have near the same issues with egress. The skeeters seem to be unusually bad this year do to the large amount of snow over the winter. Perhaps I was just unlucky and hit the peak, which seems to last a few weeks. I still feel they are entering far too easily. I guess the next step will be to section off the interior to try and isolate the entry.

Scott
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Unfortunetly my Bambi II does not have screen door. Still perfecting hanging door netting. Still have some glitches that need to be worked out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Years ago, when traveling to the Yukon I had the same issue of mysterious mosquito entrance. It drove me absolutely crazy until one evening I watched them come out of the AC vents. It turned out that the single motor for the two fans (interior and exterior) had a shaft that ran through a much larger hole from inside to outside. Since mosquitos follow heat, moisture and carbon dioxide, all three were coming out that hole and the mosquitos just flew in. Since I had no need for the AC unit, I duct taped over the interior vents and the problem disappeared.

The other possible source would be the refrigerator vent, both top and bottom, if the refrigerator compartment is not well sealed from the interior of the coach. Many are not sealed worth a damn and the critters can get in easily that way.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
While working in northern MT we would joke that our son could catch the huge mosquitos and pull their wings off so he could throw them at a dart board ... just a bit of humor this AM. If we left a window cracked or forgot the door even slightly open, the mosquitoes were so thick that they would be attracked to the light, die in the fixture, and we'd have a darkening of the room! Screens are essential.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
This is an older thread but my problem was flies not mosquitos. On a trip from North Carolina to Montana in October 2015, I stopped in Hereford, TX to visit a friend. After 1 night there, I chased large black flies around the inside for over a month even after arrival in Great Falls. Just last weekend (4 months later and weeks of freezing temps), I hope I found the last 6 flies dead in the front windshield.

Suspect they were coming in around the fridge vent and hood exhaust vent also. Plan to have both covered with mesh this summer.