Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
More exterior repairs on the 92 LY

Here was the original damage from the day I picked it up:

And now today:

The paint match is as close as I could get it. I picked up the original color cold and a small amount of white, yellow and red base. After a little mixing I came up with a very close match. The only think I need to do now is find a match for the missing stripes at the top of the bathroom window.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Color from the pictured looks like a good match. Did you mix the paint yourself? And the paint is a match to the original gel coat color? How did you apply the paint? Spraying I'm assuming but how did you blend in the paint to fiberglas transition? Some kind of a final clear coat? It looks nicely done.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I started with a pint of PPG single stage urethane paint of the original paint code color. Unfortunately I found it to be too dark and too blue. The current gel coat was just too faded. I went back to the paint store and they gave me a small amount of red, yellow and white base. I took half of the original paint code color and then I added white to lighten it up. I then started to add drops of yellow base to cancel some of the blue tones. I then added a drop of red to warm it up and kill any green. At each addition of color I tested it against an area that was original. I had to wait a minute or two to allow the paint test to dry since it darkened as it dried. Took three separate color additions to get it right.

Once I was convinced I had a close match I prepped the area to shoot the paint. I wet sanded the area with 600 grit paper far enough out to be able to blend it. I masked all the stripes and window molding but not the glass. It was VERY easy to remove the over spray from the glass. I used my compressor and a touch up gun to shoot the paint. Once dry (less then 30 minutes) I wet sanded the entire area to blend in the seam. As for the clear, I just continued with the Red Max Pro treatment I used over the rest of the coach. It all blended in so well it was hard to see where the new paint and the original gel coat met.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If you take a piece of vinyl to a graphic sign company in you ares for color match, they can cut the stripes to match the width too. Might be easier than trying to paint.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote