Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Air

I think you are trying to complicate the system more than needed.
The air bag system is used on 90% of the highway trucks and many trailers, and parts are available everywhere and reasonably priced at any truck shop.
If you want a larger air tank, that could be installed.

Are these bags the suspension, or are they just the assist to springs? I only have some air suspension experience, not air assist.
There are two level valves on most applications to compensate if you ran the drive axle up on a curb or ridge. Otherwise you would loose traction, AND BREAKING. Many front solid axle applications have just one level valve.

Air leaks will show up with soap water spray, and hoses leak where excess heat gets to them or if they are rubbing on something. If that is not found, take the line off forward of the check valve when the bags are inflated, and again check with soap.
If you can't locate the check valve, it may be buried with addons, just install another as Andy suggests.

Dave

Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
The air bags don't care if they are filled from a bulkhead fitting or on-board pump. They also have no problem being full all the time. The front bags on the P-30 are bulkhead filled, full all the time and they are used as spring assist. Part of the function of the rear bags is to maintain ride height with varying loads. The number of passengers and their baggage as well as fluid levels in the tanks all affect ride height and the leveling valves take care of the problem.

You can remove the valves and alter the system but it is a very simple and dependable system and making it function properly is neither difficult or expensive. You have a very nice luxury coach why do something that would make it less than that?

Cheers, Dan

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I wonder if most of the older Classics still have the 60-40 switch for the compressor/bag inflation? I had so much trouble with my bags that my local Fire Dept. suggested a Seattle company that ripped the whole system end to end. Works perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3188.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	118168  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I wonder if most of the older Classics still have the 60-40 switch for the compressor/bag inflation?
I give up Mike, what is this 60-40 switch?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #19

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I give up Mike, what is this 60-40 switch?
It's the same kind of switch used in well water pumping systems, when the pressure falls to a certain level, the pump (or in this case the air compressor) kicked on and shut down when it reached it's max setting. Mine is now solid state without the points of the older switch system. In our coach, it was located in the same rear roadside compartment as the shore power cord and transfer switch box.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
It's the same kind of switch used in well water pumping systems, when the pressure falls to a certain level, the pump (or in this case the air compressor) kicked on and shut down when it reached it's max setting. Mine is now solid state without the points of the older switch system. In our coach, it was located in the same rear roadside compartment as the shore power cord and transfer switch box.
I think you made that up, my books just call it an air compressor pressure switch, with or without an unloader valve. Water pump switches are similar but are water proof.

To your original question I still have the original mechanical type switch in my Moho and if my memory serves me I think Hans and Lili have the original in the Vinnie-mobile in the UK.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #21

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I think you made that up, my books just call it an air compressor pressure switch, with or without an unloader valve. Water pump switches are similar but are water proof.
You forget I have 30 years of water well experience: it's the same switch (and brand) I've put in a hundred pump houses. Same adjustments, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
You forget I have 30 years of water well experience: it's the same switch (and brand) I've put in a hundred pump houses. Same adjustments, etc.
I guess it's like calling an adjustable wrench a Crescent wrench or a copy machine a Xerox machine. My trusty McMaster Carr catalog does show a different switch for water and air. They both indicate a neoprene diaphram, I suspect some internal components are more corrosion resistant. I agree everyone I have ever seen, water or air looked the same.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #23

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I never had trouble with mine, but when I switched over to a different system, it all came out. It's good for Hans (or any other Classic owners) to know they can still get a replacement unit. My problem,and why I spent $$$ was I could never get it to self-adjust, no matter how much it was fooled with. I believe I had a Monday mechanic install it.