Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Lost power to the keyless entry system

I have a 1992 36' AS Landyacht. The keyless entry keypad no longer has power and the battery indicator on the systems monitor shows the bank at 0 volts but I have power to all other locations connected to that battery bank.

I've looked at the schematics and found that there is a 15-amp fuse that controls the keyless entry system and brings power to the power monitor. It is located at AUX fuse bank B but I can't locate the fuse bank. There is a metal plate affixed to a black box in the foot well in front of the driver's seat that shows where the fuses and relays are, but I can't locate the fuse block that this metal plate is referring to and the black box contains no fuses inside. Can you tell me the location of this fuse block?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I just got a call back from AS customer service. They said that it should be around the chevy fuse panel, but are not sure since almost everyone that was around when they built the unit is either dead or lost their memory. AS doesn't have any specific documetation that shows where the fuse panel is. Looks like I'll be just hunting around until I find the correct fuse panel. I'll let everyone know when I do. In the mean time, please let me know if anyone has seen it on their unit since that may help me find it sooner.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if you can locate the converter it might be near there.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On my Clipper, the main fuse panel in the center OAK pullout console contains the fuses for the headlights etc, has an AUX fuse near the bottom of the fuse cluster, just above the relay bank.
This AUX fuse controls the manual electric entrance/cargo door locks and possibly other things? (Its been a while since I was looking for phantom battery drain. )

If the circuit is (should be) powered by the chassis battery, the fuse should be in cockpit area. If its powered by the house circuit, -- on the Clipper the fuse bank is at the foot of the bed.

What were you doing before it quit working? Have you loosened a wire? or ground?

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I wasn't working on anything really. Just noticed one morning that I couldn't open the door with the key pad and it wouldn't light up when I pressed any buttons. I then found out that the battery monitor showed one bank dead but everything on that bank was working when I checked it. I then searched the schematics and found one 15-amp fuse that controls both the keyless entry system and provides power from that battery bank to the battery monitor. Need to find the fuse in order to fix this. Even if the keyless entry module is bad I’ll still need to replace the blown fuse to get everything working again.

It's strange that they mounted a metal plate indicating the location of all the fuses I'm looking for, but with no fuse box in sight. Got to love the way they make motor homes. Just slap it in there wherever it fits and forget about documenting it. Who needs to remember it after the warranty is over anyway?

I'll check near the converter tomorrow when I have more time and daylight to work with. By the time I get off of work it's dark but I don't work tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I think on my 93 the aux fuse panel is right above the GM fuse panel under the dash.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I guess I'm SOL on this. AS doesn't know where it is and I can't find it anywhere. I have no keyless entry and no monitor of the battery power on the chassis side. So frustrating since I know which fuse is bad but can't find the darn thing. Also concerns me that I can’t find the bank and if any other fuses blow I wont be able to find them either.

Any other suggestions on what to do?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Looked under the dash to check fuse box. I have the same setup as you (I think) with the picture of the fuses on the black box. I wonder if AS changed the AUX fusebox A and B shown on page H4 of the AS owners hand book, and incorported these into one fuse panel? It looks like to me that some of the fuses listed from both fuse panel A and B show up on my fuse panel. It also shows the monitor and entry system are separate fuses in different fuse panels in the owners book. I have found a number of changes in my MH that are different than what is stated in the manual. The only other place where I have a fuse panel is in the floor flip cover (on the step) between the front seats. I know my MH is a year newer and a 33' not a 36' but I'am quite sure there aren't any other fuses hidden inside the coach. Did you see the information on page H23? It might help if you haven't already done so.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I've only been able to locate two 12V fuse panels so far. One is located under the dash on the fire wall just left of the steering column. It looks like a GM related fuse panel that has fuses for things like the ECM, taillights, brake lights and such. The other is located, like you said, in a compartment in the step down from the cab area into the living room (only contains 20A fuses) that feeds the interior lights and appliances that run off the coach battery bank. Neither seems to contain the fuses identified in the manual for the TV, searchlight, steps, keyless entry and various other items powered by the starter/chassis battery that aren't directly GM related.

Very frustrating that AS would mount a metal plate indicating the location of fuses that don't seem to be in the near vicinity. I'm thinking of pulling the dash TV and backup monitor to see if anything is located in those areas. The lack of documentation at AS on models of my era is also a little disturbing.

Thanks for your help so far Gloran.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I was finally able to restore power to the keyless entry system today. The problem was simply a blown fuse, but the reason it took so long to find was that there is no "fuse block A and B" All power is supplied through the single fuse block provided by Chevy. The owners manual indicates that there are separate fuses for various "non-OEM" circuits, but the truth is that there are many taps off of the Chevy fuse block alone. The problem was that a single 15amp fuse was supplying power to 4 constant power circuits that required 15 amps each. The location that provides power is labeled "Horn" and "15 amp". That single fuse provided power to all of the extra taps that AS used including the keyless entry system, door lock, front TV relay and the battery monitor for the starter battery. I replaced that fuse with a 30amp fuse as the owners manual indicates it is supposed to have and all is working now.

My guess is that a PO replaced the AS inserted a fuse with a 15 amp fuse per the label on the fuse block. Anyway, it looks like all is working again. Sure wish AS was more clear on fuses and there locations.