Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Looks like we're joining the club. NTU 92 Legacy Thirty

Hi All. Just waiting on some of the final details, but we've committed to buy a 92 Legacy 30 with 70K mi. Mechanically, it seems very sound, but I do have to fix a leaking caliper and a leaking manifold. Cosmetically, it is pretty dingy on the inside, but doesn't seem worn or beat up at all. Has new fridge and rebuild Onan, so those were big pluses. Roof has been sealed (though probably due; I will be taping it), but there is some evidence of buckling on one of the walls. Very light delamination in a couple spots. Ceilings are completely solid, however. Overall, I felt pretty good about $5800, but feel free to tell me I'm a sucker.

Now for some input, if anyone is so inclined.
We have been using a popup with nothing for the last couple years, so this was quite a jump, but we have a long trip coming up and wanted something that will hopefully be a little easier for the kids to travel in.
Ironically, the MH has less sleeping arrangements than the popup, but I plan to put bunks above the rear twins to help alleviate that.
Still looking into options regarding a bed for me and my wife. The original jack knife is going to be just a little too cozy, I think.

Our first mod will be an allure floor, as the carpet is atrocious, so we are probably not going to spend a ton on a new bed right off the bat. However, if anyone has suggestions for a decent sized bed-for-two, they would be appreciated.
I've seen the extenders. Are these a decent option? I might take a crack at it myself if anyone has had luck with them.

Couple more random questions.

What tranny should this have?

What mileage can I expect?

Thanks a lot, in advance!

Matthew

Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
First off, let me be the first to say welcome aboard!!

Congrats on your recent purchase. I have a 92 Land Yacht so we're like cousins. Mine too had some sidewall leaks that needed much attention so I understand what you're getting ready to do. Water is the big killer; so get it under control as quick as possible. The wall delaminating and buckling are evidence of water damage. It's usually repairable, but does need to attend to quickly before things get out of hand. The first thing I did was to make sure that all roof/sidewall leaks were taken care of. Mind had leaks across the driver's side and one near the front on the curbside. I used Eterna-Bond tape on mine but there are a number of other alternatives out there. Check the top aluminum corner rounds (the pieces that connect the roof to the side walls) for missing or loose pop rivets. If you find any, then replace them before you tape/calk anything.

Once the leaks are taken care of, it's wall repair time. I’ve found that wall repairs are most easily repaired by working from the inside back out to the outer wall. Look for posts related to delamination repair. Look for areas that have loose wallpaper. Any area that has delaminating on the outside will most likely have issues on the inside as well. Roof leaks can be found by looking in the cabinets for any loose wallpaper. Window leaks are also an issue, so re-sealing them may be in order. Not a big job and pretty cheap too. Window leaks show up below and along side the windows. Once water gets into the walls it stays in there for a VERY long time. I've found walls that were saturated months after all the leaks were fixed. The frame on our motor homes is made of steel and can rust through if the water is not attended to. I'm still learning my baby but if you need any info I'll be here to help. If anything I can give some moral support.

Exhaust leaks are common on the 454 engines so there's a lot of info out there on that. Brakes should be easy since the P30 Chassis is common and parts are readily available.

You should have a 700R transmission behind that 454. Pretty common as well.

I can't speak much about mileage since I haven't taken ours out since we bought it. Still working on the repairs, but things are going well so far. I've heard numbers of between 9 and 11 MPG from other though.

Post pics of what you have. Even if the pics are not the most flattering, they'll show us how much progress you've done in the future.

Enjoy your new baby

Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
Thanks for the welcome, and for your comments/input. I will have to take a very close inspections once I take possession, but I don't know that I'll need to do anything drastic at this point. I definitely want to use eternabond on the seams for good measure, though. The sealing that was done is still pliable for the most part, but can crack if messed with. The one seam that is buckled is right in front of the rear window on the road side. I think you can almost make this out in the pictures. They are just what the PO sent, but I will post them for reference.

Not thrilled about the 700r4, but I guess it will do the job. I don't plan on pulling anything major, but we do have hills here in PA (I've spent quite a bit of time in Colorado, so I won't call them mountains).

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1016006888.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	154058   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3646845233.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	154059  

Name:	image-1570355300.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	154061   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2193766197.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	154062  

Name:	image-1058299804.jpg
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	154063   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3302226620.jpg
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	154064  

Name:	image-3337497041.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	154065  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I may have miss-spoke on the transmission type. I believe that it’s a 4L80. May even be a 4L85. My RV is a 36’ LY so not sure what the 30’ Legacy had. I don’t think it’s the 700R4 though. I was thinking of what was in my 90 Astro Van for some reason.

Looks to me like a rear roadside window leak may have caused the delamination. May have been a roof leak as well. Check the inside wallpaper to see if it's loose above and below the window. There's nothing behind the wallpapered luan for about 2” below the ceiling but air. That's when the foam insulation in the wall starts. If it were a roof leak, you would most likely see some evidence of issues at the ceiling/wall junction too. Our roofs were fiberglass, so most of the center of the RV was protected from water. The pitfall to our design is the two aluminum corner rounds. That's where any current or past cracks in the calking or loosening of the rivets will cause wall and floor damage. By the time it’s visible on either the inside or outside wall the damage is done. “Out of sight, Out of mind” works, but after tearing into the walls of my RV and seeing the amount of water soaked luan that was in there, I’ve found that fixing it is piece of mind.

From the pictures, there may be some delamination on the curbside near the passenger’s window as well. It’s hard to tell if it's delamination or just a shadow.

Fixing window seal leaks is actually very easy and cost effective. There’s about 26 to 32 screws on the inside that holds the window in. Once removed and the inside frame separated, the outside window just comes right out. I used ¾” butyl tape to reseal the window. Costs about $3 per window for the tape. Piece of mind… Priceless.

Nice looking unit.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Check the Tires

Welcome! Nice looking rig. Did you say it was on a Ford chassis? Thats what we have. Maybe I can give you some information or help.

Check the tires! They could be shot even if they look OK. Most RV tires dry rot before they ware out.

I would not drive all that weight around on tires that are more than 5 years old.

All tires have a manufacture date stamped on the side of them but this number was never meant to be easily read by the general public as it's somewhat cryptic to decipher:

•Date will be most likely be on the outside rubber wall of the tire.

•Dates are normally 3 or four digits long and stamped in a recessed roundish rectangle on the sidewall of the tire

•Before 2000, the date code had three digits so if your little code only has 3 digits then you're already in trouble, your tires are a minimum of eight years old and could potentially be deadly.

•For tires that have four digits the last two are normally the year this is what you need to look at

•First two digits are the week so 0504 is fifth week in 2004
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
Hi all. Sorry it's been so long. Thanks so much for the latest comments. Points well taken regarding the roof and tires. We do have the Legacy now and I've been getting things spruced up and organized. I'll be taping the roof soon, but after a few good rains, I can find no evidence of new leaking (and, yes, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening).
Here are some more pictures from after the initial clean up. I wiped everything down and took a rug doctor to everything. I couldn't believe what "came out in the wash" and I could probably get that much dirt out again, but I'll probably wait until next year.
MobileMe Gallery

Thanks again!
Matthew
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Taken' Time

1978 25' Caravanner
2001 31' Land Yacht
Palm Bay , Florida
Wow, that look like it came out fine.