Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Looking for ideas for dash repair

I have a 2002 Land Yacht 30' gas engine. The previous owner messed up the dash pretty bad, mainly due to poor AS design and workmanship. The monitor is mounted on the right side with the radio directly below it. He had the need to access the rear monitor connection several times and in the process, cracked the very narrow piece (about 7/16 inch) of the dash that seperates the two. That's the part that cracked off and now missing.

I could buy a new dash from AS for $175., but it would not solve the design problem, in that it's flimsy and don't fit properly side to side and top to bottom. My question, does any other AS owners have this dilema? Can you share your corrective action.

Along the same lines. Did anyone replace their Analog TV with a LCD flat panel? Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Without seeing your situation and just from the description I would suggest fiberglassing the gap from behind. I have used this approach on the end caps in my trailer that tend to crack in the upper corners.

If you can remove the dash it will be easy. Sand the area that is to be glassed, with 80 grit paper, and apply resin and then a several lairs of fiberglass for strength. The next day, while the glass is still soft you can shape or remove any overages and then finish the face of the dash with additional resin and or fiberglass as needed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spat61 View Post
, cracked the very narrow piece (about 7/16 inch) of the dash that seperates the two. That's the part that cracked off and now missing.
Along the same lines. Did anyone replace their Analog TV with a LCD flat panel? Thanks.
Steve
I would guess our dashes are similar material, mine is 2000, I was able to fix a cracked thin section with super glue and a washer over the missing 1/4 inch piece but it sounds like you have the long segment missing. I would take a piece of smoked or black lexan larger than the two openings covering the missing section and make new cutouts for tv and radio, I would add aluminum angle on the backside to give more support to the thin section using ss bolts with heads to match existing screws. Lexan can be cut with jigsaw very slowly and sanded buffed and polished to give a smooth edge.
Alternate would be to use the old dash as a model and install a new one made of black lexan making the two big holes with a bigger separation.
Not much more work than installling the new but without the 175 part. A good plastic shop should be able to make the cutouts using old one as a template.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Yes, lcd allows a/c ductwork to be straightened out and an extra shelf below. used a mount from the side wall behind tv to allow tv to swing out for access. They jammed the reg tv in crushing the ductwork. I even was able to run a new duct from the a/c to the drivers feet, copilot didn't need the extra duct
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote