Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Woodstock , Connecticut
Lite water heater

Hi folks I can't find how to ignite the water heater in our 2005, seems as though I have an auto lite unit. Exact methods not in manual. Please share knowledge. Thanks.

Jody10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
On our 19-foot Bambi, the hot water heater switch is under the bathroom vanity mirror, behind the water faucet handles. It is an OFF/ON switch with a red light. I'm not sure where it is on a 30-foot model, but it sounds like you may have already found it.

See link below for instructions on how to purge air from the propane lines and light the water heater and refrigerator (if you are having difficulty with ignition). By the way, make sure the propane valve is OPEN, and the tank(s) you are using are at least 1/3 full.

To clarify, the red light originally comes on when attempting to start. Then, if the water heater successfully lights, the red light goes out. If the red light stays on, the water heater is NOT lit.

You can confirm attempted ignition by listening for clicking sounds outside near the hot water heater access door. When the burner ignites, you'll hear "whooshing" sounds of propane burning (like a BBQ burner on high heat).

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Jody10, on our 2004 LY, the water heater option switches are at the rear, right side of the bathroom sink. You can choose the 120 volt option (this is what we use 99% of the time) and the water will be heated by a restistance rod in the water heater tank. This gives us plenty of water for back to back showers, but we do conserve water (Navy shower). If you select the gas option, the water heater lights automatically. I can, most of the time, hear when the flame comes on.

Phoenix is correct in the operation description.

If I have had the MH in storage for an extended time, I usually purge the lines by lighting the stove and letting all burners operate for a minute or so. On our airstream trailer, I have used two wrenches on the tubing nuts and loosed the gas supply line to the water heater to vent any air.

Enjoy your 2005 and keep us posted on your experiences and trips. We love our rig and live in it at least four months each year.

Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
We too have an '04 and agree with Phoenix and Sam 100%.

We use the LP side of the water heater rarely, but do the same purging Sam suggested when it's needed.

Double Navy style shower...... no problem; also, very fast recovery. In fact, sometimes we leave the heater off and turn on the A/C switch 15 minutes before needed.

RAG is offline   Reply With Quote