Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Land Yacht Towing Capacity?

We have a 1994 Land Yacht with a 320 Cummins diesel (pusher). We tow
an aluminum car trailer with an antique car, total weight 4700 pounds.
We would like to move to an enclosed trailer and the new total weight would be 7500 lbs.
Any experience out there in Land Yacht Land?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Paul,

Welcome to the forums!

I would look at the receiver that Airstream mounted as an indication of the max weight. If it is not rated to pull that weight (7400 lbs) I would be leery.

I would doubt that Airstream will OK much over what you are currently towing. Even with the HP the receiver is likely not rated for more.

If you cannot find a rating on the receiver or in a manual, I am sure that Airstream tech support can tell you the max number.

Hot line phone is
1-877-596-6505

this is a voice mail system and they request you leave the following information on the first call
1. Name
2. day time phone number
3. trailer or motorhome
4. model year
5. last 6 digits of serial number
6. description of problem or information you require.

They will call back with in 24 hours with information

Many members have had questions like this answered this way. Once you find out could you post the info? It will add to the knowledge here on the forum.

Thanks
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Actual Experience out there?

Airstream says as it left the factory, 2000 pounds.
However, I understand they cannot attest to hitches,
electric brakes, balls or anyting else. They have to say
we build motorhomes, not tow trucks.
Now for real life, what are you guys towing?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
I own a 95 LY MH. I do a lot of towing with my camper. The problem main problem with all the Class A MH is the lenth of the over hang. There can be a lot of flex on the rear frame rail. On my last MH SOB I used a trailer all the time , but one day I "Maxed" the load on the hitch and I broke the frame and the hitch off the back of the MH while I was driveing. The bottom line I fixed it all up and welded the crap out of the frame and the MH was stronger then ever, and it towed better then new.I looked at my LY and the frame "looks" much stronger then the SOB MH,but I would still get the framed built up. One place the a friend told me about that he deals with is Diamond RV in Mass and all he does is race car trailers/MH set ups. I called him one day and for $300 he can make the frame stronger, so my guess that the job is quite easy to do. Check wih a trailer place that work with lots of race car drivers. Good luck Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Too Much Weight!

Have just recently traded a 95 Land Yacht diesel pusher that I had for 5 years. I would rate the hitch at 5000 pounds and 500 pounds hitch weight. It seems that your current trailer is about the maximum for your rig. With a potential 7000 pounds you will take forever to accelerate with the 230 Cummins and stopping will be touchy! Hills would be impossible!

Fred
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by phred
Hills would be impossible!
"

230 hp on the big hills could be tough. 250-300 would be ok
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Towing Capacity

I've got a 95 Land Yacht, but its the 454 TBI engine and not the diesel. The frame is a 94 Chevy P-30 and the motorhome is rated to pull about 5000 total pounds in addition to the weigh of the motorhome itself. I had the same problem with Airstream tech support with the 2000 pound hitch stuff. The hitch is acutally a 4000 pound capacity hitch by Reese. I tow a 98 Toyota RAV4 4WD vehicle with a REMCO pump for the auto transmission. I have a Falcon tow bar. The system works great. The curb weight of the RAV4 is about 2600 pounds so its just under the limit for a aux bracking system. It really needs one though and that will be the next big money spent after some other minor upgrades to the motorhome.
The addition of a tow vehicle behind the motorhome really is noticable on the power. Expecially when doing the mountains in Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee (I'm in South Carolina and like to spend time in the mountains). Hollar if you need more info.
blocksofwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Rogers , Arkansas
I have a Land Yacht 30 gas burner and thinking about flat towing a Jeep YJ. What do you think?
strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I have a Land Yacht 30 gas burner and thinking about flat towing a Jeep YJ. What do you think?
I think you might want to start a new thread as this one is quite old and relevant to another poster.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Towing with Land Yacht DP

Update on this old thread:
We discovered our Land Yacht had had the hitch modified for heavier duty towing. We sold the enclosed trailer and bought a 1100 pound aluminum LUMA open car hauler traier. With the added tool box, whinch and supplies we were still around 1200 pounds. We always towed with a equalizer hitct and a anti sway bar. We towed all over the country @ 70 MPH & 11 MPG with an antique car on the trailer behind us. Total trailer weight when loaded, around 5000 pounds.
Our Airstream experience was wonderful for the 17 years we owned it.