Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Land Yacht Tires

Our 2004 30 ft with slide Land Yacht has the original Michelin 225/70R 19.5 XRV Load Rating F tires. Because of age, I feel they are near the end of their useful life. I am considering Michelin XZE or GoodYear G670 tires. Michelin no longer makes the XRV tires (at least, it is not found on their web site) and the XZE does not reference being made for RV use. The GoodYear site says that their tire is compounded to resist cracking from ultra violet light.

Any comments on either brand choice? Should I stick with Load Rating F or go up to a Load Rating G. I do not think our rig is overloaded. We pack pretty lightly. The Michelins are about $340 more expensive for the set of six tires. I am leaning toward the GoodYears since they say they are an RV tire.

Thanks,

Sam

Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Camarillo , California
I have a unit identical to yours and because of aging and some serious cupping on the front left tire I, yesterday actually, replaced my 6 original Michelins with Goodyear G670's. Talking with members of an RV group I belong to and all the research I could do, including the forums on irv2.com, led me to believe they are a good tire and at a signifcant price saving to the Michelin. Goodyear is also currently running a rebate program and for 225/70R19.5 tires it is $10/tire, or $60. If your dealer does not mention it go to the Goodyear site and print out the application. This was a serious decision for me because in 26 years of motorhoming I have always run Michelins; however, they have their detractors and we have run Goodyears on one of our cars for 2 years now and are completely satisfied. Either way you will probably be happy; my dealer said the newer Michelins are RV-specific tires just as the "X" were. Also, because you say you are not overloaded (Sure? have you had it weighed?) load range F are entirely adequate for an 18,000 GVWR vehicle which the '04 Land Yacht is). Good luck!!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
After I had a Michelin blow two years ago when I went to Bozeman, I replaced all the tires with Bridgestones. Mine are 8"x19.5. Be aware that the useful life of tires is 5 years from the date of manufacture whether they are rolling or in the warehouse. The casings break down. Every tire has a date code stamped on it beside the DOT in the oval space. the 4 digits are YYWW i.e., YY= year and WW= week within the year -> this is the date of manufacture.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
Afterthought. After mounting have frontwheel algnment done. The Workhorse P30-32 chassis is notorious for suspension issues and I found an Idler arm condition on the tie-rod that needs to be corrected. Serious money and with no more than 42k miles it makes me angry, but there is not much choice but to take care of it.
Again, good luck.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Thanks for all the comments. Looks as if I may have to go with Bridgestone. The GoodYear dealer cannot ballance a 19.5 inch rim and cannot get six tires that are under three months old. He also said he had trouble getting Michelin. Another dealer said he could get Michelin out of stock, but couldn't guarantee age. He said I would have to take what the distributor sent him. Seems as if final choice will be Bridgestone from a third dealer. That dealer can balance the tires and seems willing to work with me on tire age. Which Bridgestone did you get blkmagikca?

Did either of you check the tire after installing on the motor home for out of roundness? On their site, Michelin has a procedure for doing this.

Sam
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have a 2002 chev work truck that weighs 12,600# all the time. It came with bridgestone front and goodyear rear 225/70R 19.5 F tires. I had problems with the front tires from day one, couldnt get them balanced right and they cupped and had strange wear pattern. The bridgestone tire dealer had EVERY excuse in the book everytime i came back to complain. I finally went and bought michelin XZE tires for the front and WOW, what a difference, PERFECT! After 20,000mi they are still great. I went back to the bridgestone dealer here and showed them how the michelins were wearing so good and they still made up excuses for bridgestones so i just walked out to never return. I have 70k on the truck now and the rear goodyears are getting wore down and have NO weather cracking. 225/70R 19.5 tires may be designed to go 100k and 10yrs. They also are retreadable.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Check Tire Rack .com. They still list the michelin XRV.

Michelin XRV

They will ship to direct to an installer in your area. Reis Tire Sales or Car-X.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
Just replaced 8 of the same size on my 345 to the 670RV Goodyears. All of my research pointed to the Goodyears. I ordered them from a Goodyear store. Took 2 weeks to arrive, but all are DOT dated 2610 or june of this year. Price was $285.00 each and installed and balanced came to $2,694. including tax and disposal. I still have an $80. rebate to come back.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
That dealer can balance the tires and seems willing to work with me on tire age. Which Bridgestone did you get blkmagikca?
The ones I got were truck tires - they are marked "regrooveable".

As for balancing, I had the dealer put the sand bags in. It took about 5 miles of driving and all the bags broke open and distributed their contents within the tires. This system is dynamic, so you will never need to rebalance your wheels with those tires. As a caveat, though, make sure that he uses filtered Dill valves - the Dill valves are the inserts in the Schrader vales. I also have a Pressure-Pro system installed which monitors and displays the precise pressure in each tire. That system has a small wireless sending unit which replaces the valve cap. The filtered dill valve is required to prevent any of the sand particles from getting into the Pressure-Pro sending unit and damaging them.

I should mention that when I pulled in Bozeman three days before we were parked at International, we camped at a local campground in Bozeman. The guys from Fantastic Fan pulled in with a large class A and were camped near me. He mentioned to me that he, too, had a blowout coming into Bozeman on his left front tire at 30 mph on an exit ramp. The tire was a 2-year old Michelin. The damage that his blowout did to his rig was quite severe - it cut through the fender liner like a power shear, tore his 50-amp shore line, broke some of the supports for his holding tanks. My blowout was from an 8-year old Michelin - before this mishap I didn't know about the 5-year life of the casings.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Thanks for all the additional comments. Our town is over 100,000 population and located on a couple of major highways, but our selection in RV tire suppliers is minimal. I will keep up my search, but it is about time to get the motor home on the road for the winter.

Sam
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
Do not give up your search. Most independent and factory brand tire shops are equipped to deal only with auto tires. the 19.5" tires we use are classified as light truck tires. My Goodyear 670RV tires also say "regroovable" on the side.
If possible check with a Truck service center; most of them deal with tires and can get most brands from warehouse in a few days. Mine did and the birth date is 2510 - third week of June this year. Again, good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Redeagle313, you wrote: "Check Tire Rack .com. They still list the michelin XRV.

Michelin XRV

They will ship to direct to an installer in your area. Reis Tire Sales or Car-X."

Redeagle313--Thanks for the "heads up" on Tire Rack. I checked out Reis tire, one of their recommended installers, and they can make the installation and balance the tires. They seemed to be very willing to have the tires shipped directly to them from Tire Rack. I placed an order with Tire Rack for six new Michelin 225/70R 19.5 XRV tires and the should arrive at Reis' next week. So far it looks like a good way to go for replacement tires!

I know we can't all agree on a tire brand, but in the past, I have had good luck with Michelin and that is what our motor home came from the factory with.

Sam
Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Tires

Several years ago I had to start replacing tires on our Airstream Land Yacht and disovered the Sumitoma brand, 12 ply. I've been real happy with them and will buy two more this fall and move the two fronts to the outside rear to keep everthing newer than 5 years.
We've been doing this for 20 years now and I've never worn out a tire, but had a few good looking ones blow out. Especially Michelins. Once on our GMC I bought 6 new ones and put the best of the old ones on as a spare.
When I came home from work I saw lumps of coal all over the driveway and a shreaded tire cover. It was not coal it was rubber chunks that blew out sitting in the Florida sun. Never bought another Michelin.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The only problem ive had with michelin tires is they dry crack faster than any other tire. Michelin medium and heavy duty truck tires dont crack like the smaller ones.