Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Land Yacht Misc Parts Sources

So I posted a suggestion a few weeks ago about making a stickie for Land Yacht parts - some of which can be time consuming to find. I have spent more time finding stuff than actually installing stuff over the last month. The response was deafening... crickets...

In spite of my efforts, I still have about $700 worth of tie rod ends, A-arms, ball joints, timing chains, oil hoses, brake cables, brake hoses, radiator hoses, and a few other items that were supposed to fit - but are waiting for me to box up and return.

So with underwhelming feedback... I'm going to start it anyhow. This would have saved me tens of hours and hundreds of dollars in shipping to have good data. If anybody uses this to benefit, you owe me a beer. And if I find someone elses info useful, I will gladly reciprocate...

I have no idea how to start this, so I'll just start with my most recent success, and keep adding until I run out of stuff I have done. Anyone else is more than welcome to participate. If you do, please try to follow the same format - Part Description, followed by year and model of your coach. There is a lot of identical parts through the years, but some tricky differences.

DASH ELECTRICAL SWITCHES - 96 LY30
I have never seen those goofy green/black/white lettering rocker switches anywhere else. Once you get one out of the dash and put on your magnifier glasses, it says DAV - Made in France;good luck with that. I never found a match on google.

However, if you use DAV 4769 (the 4769 was just barely legible on the switch I pulled out), it matches to these guys:

http://www.euramtec.com/parts/a/a01/4769.html

Multiple switch options, various colors, but limited lettering. They use some special process that they only do in large batches. They do have leftovers from making these for Airstream. You have to tell them what you want, and they check inventory. I was able to get Fan symbol, Air Horn lettering, Aux Lts, Spkear symbol, and blanks.

If you want to relocate or reconfigure switches, they have 2x2, 2x3, and 2x4 bezels available.

The switches are available in 6 or 8 different configurations. SPST, SPDT, DPDT, MOM ON, MOM OFF, etc.

Their business model is that you have to call them and request a pdf of bezels, switch configurations, and their master switch logo/ID lettering list; again, only select items are available, but you have to ask. For the blanks I got, I am going to try printing out a label on clear transparancy. I have the pdf's they sent on my computer at work, so next week I can try and attach the file to this post; but I don't know how to attach a pdf? My pics live on Photobucket (until I die or don't pay them...), but you cannot upload pdf's; so not sure how it will work. I'm open to ideas. I would think the site should have a file hosting area with links?

Here is what the stuff looks like; matches perfect:
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
UPPER BALL JOINTS - 96 LY30
Mevotech MK6174

PARKING BRAKE CABLES - 96 LY30
FYI - Neither of these products from Mill Supply fit.
Below are available from UltraRVProducts.com.
Parking Brake Foot Pedal to junction fitting - #15990765, superceeded to a W8007196. $50.
Junction fitting to brake drum - #15729349, $32.

PARKING BRAKE DRUM - 96 LY30
Expensive version: A direct replacement, machined steel drum including yoke - From UltraRVProducts.com, #W8000557, $650.
Cheap version: Cast steel with reinforcement ring, will require light machining to flatten the mounting area for the yoke. Mill Supply #10-808, $40.

TIMING CHAIN and SPROCKETS - 96 LY30, 454
NAPA #10-3213, $95. Fits perfect, says GM on part.
FYI - Cloyes 9-3610TX9Z ($210) dual row timing chain/sprocket kit from Summit Racing does NOT fit.

WATER PUMP - 96 LY30, 454
Miloden #16226, steel, High Volume, 7,313" length, counterwise direction (it matters). $110.

MARKER LIGHTS - 96 LY30
Best I have found are from superbrightleds.com. Model M9-A13 (Amber), M9-R13 (Red). Same price as the cheapo stuff from Camping World. 13 LED's, totally sealed electrics. But need to fab a mounting plate to do a proper job and plug the quarter sized hole that AS drilled for each light to accommodate the light bulb base. I'm using 1/16" SS plates that I had waterjetted. I'll do a post on install soon. Should outlast me b4 they leak...
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
UPPER BALL JOINTS - CORRECTION - 96LY30 - 4 wheel Disks
Mevotech MK6174 MAY fit the stock upper A-Arm. It will NOT fit the MOOG A-Arms RK620034/RK620035.

UPPER A-ARMS - 96 LY30 - 4 WHEEL DISKS
MOOG Upper Left (RK620034) and right (RK620035) ($93.00 ea) are not a direct fit. The ball joint is to small for the spindle and needs to be changed. The rubber bumper is crap - need to replace with a set from Super Steer (#SS337). The mounting holes to the chassis also need a slight drilling out to fit the stock bolts. I'm still trying to find the correct ball joint.

LOWER A-ARMS - 96LY30 - 4 WHEEL DISKS
Nobody makes a lower arm for the chassis with 4 wheel disks. I purchased a pair for the drum rear brakes model (MOOG RK620036/RK620037 - $150 ea). Confirmed with Supersteer that their disk brake model control arms would swap in - they did #SS17210/17211 - $225 ea). The ball joints however are way too small of taper for the spindle. I have requested correct (disk brake) lower ball joints from MOOG, Precision Parts (O'Reilly's), Parts Plus, and Mevotech. Everybody's number crosses over to MOOG numbers. The following MOOG #'s WILL NOT FIT: K6511, K6129T, K6175T, K6117T, K6117.

Finally went back to the source - AC Delco. Their site provided a number of 45D2055. Our local NAPA crossed that number to a NCP 260-1200. This part has the correct taper (O.95" at the top, 1.13" at the bottom) and the correct press-in size (2.2"). Will find out tomorrow if it fits. These ball joints have been the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with for finding parts that fit.

NOTE: in my many hours searching for these, found a couple posts on other sites where repair places used ball joints with the incorrect (too small) taper to match the spindle. Problem is, the stud will indeed fit within the taper. But when the nut is tightened, it ends up about 1/4" below the cotter key hole. The idiot repair places then (apparently) scratches their head, says, "that's odd...", and put washers on to make up the difference. This is not good. The part will work for awhile, then it will work harden (because it is stressed and the tapers to not match), then it will fracture and fail. Best case is it will cost you a few thousand dollars to repair. Worse case is... your suspension/steering fails at speed...

Last, the shock mounts are off position by almost 1/2". You cannot install the shock without literally forcing it and bending the shaft. We will be cutting them off and welding new mounts in. Pics to follow.

HOOD GAS STRUT - 96LY30
Our local Camping World had a sad little collection - nothing fit. Another RV Chain (Lazy Daze) has a retail parts outlet, and I found one to fit. JB Products #GSNI-4032-28. 17.13" length, x 28 lbs, $14.00. Fits on the stock mounts. Holds it up ok, but I may pick up another one for the other side next time I'm in there.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Anyone else has any info, please feel free to chime in. I feel like the Lone Ranger...

REAR BRAKE HOSES - 96LY30 - 4 WHEEL DISKS
Forgot where I got these - O'Reillys I think.
Left and Right rear wheels take one hose each - Centric Parts is on the box - 150.663304 for left and 150.66308 for the right. They were the right length, and the upper (non-wheel end) fit fine. The part that attached to the backing plates did NOT fit without a Dremel. These parts are made in China, and it appears that their alignment bosses that are cast into the end did not mate with the LY bracket. Simply opening up the bracket hole maybe 1/8" more diameter let the fitting slide in far enough to get the retaining clip on. Note that you then have to be real careful about tightening the hose to the steel pipe, as the bracket does not keep the hose from turning. See pic below, although this does not show the alignment bosses/tits or whatever you want to call them - but they were machined into the flange face.

The frame to chassis hose is also Chinese, made for "Brake Best Brake Components: Part # BH38264. This fit fine.

It seems that about half of the parts I have obtained for this... Land Yacht resurrection have been made in China... But the problems with fitment of many items have been pretty uniformly consistent, regardless of origin...
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Window Weatherstripping?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
I think this is a great idea. I have spent a lot of time looking for parts as well. I would be happy to contribute.

One question/suggestion, it looks like your LY is on a Chevy chassis, ours is on a Ford. Maybe the list needs to identify which manufacturer for chassis parts...
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I have run across an Airstream parts salvage yard in KY. They have both motorhomes and trailers. I think most of their units come from insurance companies and they part out the usable items that were undamaged. Most of these rigs I see caught on fire. They also have engine parts and lots of generators and appliances.

This week I am at Ft. Knox but planning a trip to their site on I-75 at London, KY.

VisoneRV.com is the website.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
gitano

1997 33' Land Yacht
Livingston , Texas
Another Source

I have bought a couple of small parts from: airstreamsupply.com
glistok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Got an update to my March 29 posting.

Visited VisoneRV.com at their London, KY location. It was a huge salvage yard with maybe 8 different Airstream motorhomes on site. Problem is they will not sell trim parts off the rigs, they want you to buy the whole panel or side too. They do have small appliance parts and replacements. I needed a new 3-way controller for my frig and they had it for $35, new one from Dinosaur was $290.

Their website has detail photos of the units on the property.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote