Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfWhit View Post
We just bought our 2001 Land Yatch XL355 and half way to our first destination (which was only 9 miles away HA) our AC unit pretty much died. It still blew, but the air was not cold at all. Our mechanic just called and said it was going to be $384 to repair some leaking valves and recharge it. Is this normal? Yikes, feel ripped off.
HW,

Noooooo it's not "normal", but poo happens.

Valves..most common schrader valves, (think tire valve stem), on the high and low pressure AC lines, $386 rather steep for two cheep valves and an evac and fill. Also the easiest to condemn when the leak may be hard to find.

Was a sniff(hand held device to detect leaking refrigerant) or dye(black light) test done?

Is the receiver dryer being replaced at the same time?

You really need to ask some questions, and confirm exactly what is leaking, and what "valves" they are replacing. A good shop will welcome the inquiry.

Good luck

Bob
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #22

2001 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Kennewick , Washington
Lowered Bill

So the actual bill was only....$277. Yes they put the dye in it and we are to take it back in a week or two. It worked great this weekend. Didn't go to far, nor was it very hot out. So we will see. They guarenteed the work. Now I need help with the toilet. We are going to have the upper mechanism replaced because it doesn't hold water, and we have a linger odor au toilet in the area under the sink that sometimes sneaks out into the living area. What thread do I need to look under to make sure this will be the right repair to do?

Thanks for your help.

Dianne
HalfWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
There is a replaceable switch block in this unit which is still available from Chrysler on special order and it contains the push button switches, both for the vacuum lines to the shutters in the plenum and for the electric switch to the compressor and the fan to cool the condenser. Herein lies an engineering issue - the electrical switch to activate the compressor cannot properly carry the extra load of the electric fan, thus causing that block to overheat and the plastic to warp - then nothing works right. We are in the process of replacing this block and adding a headlight relay so that the compressor switch load will be reduced to simply activating the relay. We did find that there was considerable damage to the controls as a result of overheating.
We took apart the heater/ac controls and replaced the pushbutton/switch block with a new one ordered from a Dodge dealer. We added the headlight relay to reduce the electrical load on the compressor switch and the whole system is now operating as it shhould - I've got heat at my feet and cool air from the dash vents. All this hassle and years of getting the runaround for a $100 part! Just in time, too, as I'm now selling the LY.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
We took apart the heater/ac controls and replaced the pushbutton/switch block with a new one ordered from a Dodge dealer. We added the headlight relay to reduce the electrical load on the compressor switch and the whole system is now operating as it shhould - I've got heat at my feet and cool air from the dash vents. All this hassle and years of getting the runaround for a $100 part! Just in time, too, as I'm now selling the LY.
Relay as part of wiring already in the 2000 model, maybe they added when they stopped
using the push button dash unit.
I found the 30 amp fuse used for the high speed blower motor in a burned out fuse holder in front of the radiator below the heater core area, Loose connection caused heat as 30 amp breaker is still working.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I found the 30 amp fuse used for the high speed blower motor in a burned out fuse holder in front of the radiator below the heater core area, Loose connection caused heat as 30 amp breaker is still working.
I had the same problem - it was about 4 or 5 years ago that they found an in-line fuse where even the fuse holder had melted.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Centerville , Ohio
Where is the low pressure side fitting located for adding freon ?

I have 2000 Land Yacht 30

www.tourgrandcircle.com
bubbleup is offline   Reply With Quote