Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Land Yacht 39XL

We currently have a 30' Classic (our second A/S), and have been thinking of moving to a 39' Land Yacht XL. Have looked at many of the other brands, mainly Country Coach, Monaco and Beaver in addition to Land Yacht. Really like Airstream and have had good luck with the Classic.

Question, of you who have an Airstream motor home, what has your experience been? What has the reliability and customer service been like for y'all? What kinds of issues have you had with your Land Yacht? Are you satisfied with and has the Land Yacht met your expectations?
Thanks for your comments.
-bj
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
you satisfied with and has the Land Yacht met your expectations?

We bought a Land Yacht diesle pusher about a year ago.
YES we are satisfied, very satisfied. It's a 1994 35 footer
with the Cummins diesel and Allison Transmission. It is a
5.9B with only 230 HP, but built like an Airstream. So far
we've spent about 100 nights on the road. Would I
recommed it? You Bet!
We travel at 70 MPH and get 11 MPG towing a trailer with
a car or flat towing a small car.
We began in an Argosy trailer, then went to a GMC CLassic
Motorhome (also built like an airplane). We'll never go back
to a trailer until our travel days are over in 2045, them maybe
a park model.
We think RV's are to travel in and live while traveling, not to
live and an move once in awhile. If we didn't travel there
would be no need for an RV. Go for the diesel!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks Paul - appreciate the info and the good report on A/S motor homes. One always waits with trepidation when asking because of the industry's reputation. Glad to hear Airstream has 'done you good'!
bj
Old 10-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Land Yacht Satisfaction

We also purchased 95 Land Yacht 230 hp diesel pusher a year ago. Have run about 10,000 miles and am very pleased. Used units have some problems to be expected, but none were huge. I caulked and painted the roof this summer, repaired leak over driver and passenger side windows and at rear where trim covers the joints. Replaced Sony camera just this week. Minor generator problem and fuel line leak this summer. Tow a car hauler with Toyota mini-van and as long as I don't go over 65 get 10-11 mpg.
We do love this unit!

John
gunworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #5

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
MCDONOUGH , Georgia
A/s Motor Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
We currently have a 30' Classic (our second A/S), and have been thinking of moving to a 39' Land Yacht XL. Have looked at many of the other brands, mainly Country Coach, Monaco and Beaver in addition to Land Yacht. Really like Airstream and have had good luck with the Classic.

Question, of you who have an Airstream motor home, what has your experience been? What has the reliability and customer service been like for y'all? What kinds of issues have you had with your Land Yacht? Are you satisfied with and has the Land Yacht met your expectations?
Thanks for your comments.
-bj
I AM NEW TO THE A/S OWNERSHIP. I BOUGHT AN '02 39' LAND YACHT 330 HP THIS SUMMER AND HAVE PUT ABOUT 10K MILE ON THE UNIT. THE MATERIAL THAT IS INTHE UNIT IS TOP GRADE,BUT, THE ACTUAL INSTALLATION IS POOR. IF THE "INSTALLERS" HAD TAKEN A BIT MORE TIME AND FOCUS ON WHAT THEY WERE DOING I THINK THAT MY UNIT WOULD BE A 10+. INSTEAD I GIVE IT A 7. THE 330 CAT PROVIDES PLENTY OF POWER. FREIGHTLINER CHASIS (SPARTAN) HAD TO REPLACE ONE REAR JACK BECAUSE OF LEAK. ALLISON TRANSMISSION HAS A 4TH GEAR CLUTCH ISSUE (SOMETIMES CANNOT FIND 4TH GEAR AT NORMAL TEMP). MY UNIT HAD 19K WHEN PURCHASED. 9-10 MILES PER GALLON.
BAXLEYGROUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
Seabrook , Texas
I would not recommend, a NEW airstream to anybody
kmamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Jaxon,
I don't know if you are still monitoring your thread or not; we own a 2000 390XL. It is one of the few with the walnut inside. I agree with Baxleyground that the workmanship has something to be desired. If it were not for the WBCCI, I would have gone to ALABAMA and purchased an Allegro or one from that manufacturer.
We used ours for 6 months and 12,000 miles last year alone; had no problems whatsoever. Maintenance cost are high, but so very important for trouble free use. Tire replacement time is crucial unless you enjoy having blowouts. The drivetrain has been impecable, yet the 330HP CAT in this one just is not as strong as a 330 CAT I had in a different 2000 Airstream (someone wanted that one more than I did). Mileage is 9 1/2 pulling a Buick toad. The washer/drier works very well if you don't try to put home sized loads in it.
ONE HINT, TRY NOT TO BE IN CANADA WHEN FUEL PRICES HERE GO SKY HIGH!!!! WE WERE THERE AND PAID $5.50 A GALLON TO GET BACK OUT. wHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO EMPTY, AND FILL A 150 GALLON TANK, IT IS EXPENSIVE!!!!
One thing. In 2000, the first year they were made, they first built them with an undersized front axle. They did a recall on it, yet, instead of replacing it with the proper size axle, they went to the axle manufacturer, had it reclassed to an 11,000lb instead of a 10,000 just with the stroke of a pen,then they replaced the front tires with the 275's. I went all the way to the Pres of Airstream, and instead of doing what was right by their users, he kept saying, 'trust me, the axle is plenty'. He would not, however, put it in writing. He did not write me back after receiving my letter, but rather called me. Spoken words are normally worthless. I have had it weighed in a normally loaded condition, making sure to load the front light, and with a full load of fuel, and no fresh water, I was just nudging the load limit for the front axle.
They ride wonderful, are laid out nicely, and the 390 does not hang your clothes out in the rain! (ha) Look for good deals-they can be found.
Oh, by the way, they are built on a Frieghtliner chassis manufactured in Gafney,SC --not a Spartan. Spartans are made in MI. I have visited both factories. They both have pluses. The Frieghtliner is the bigger manufacturer of the two. Spartan is known mostly for Fire Engine chassis.
jerry
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks to all... (a tad late for response...). Appreciate the feedback. Sat down and had a serious discussion with my significant other and the Airstream... decided to keep both, (not a problem, she rarely reads my posts...).

Tho' the motorhomes are a real draw, I can't justify replacing the trailer, which has really served us well.

It is truly amazing how much info is out there for the lookin'!