Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Land Yacht 30 MH trunk leak, other places to watch

Checked the whole MH for water leaks after our first rain since buying, everything was dry until I got to the trunk. AS the rivet experts used pop rivets around the trunk lid. not the closed end ones but regular one with the hole in the middle when the nail pops out. but I think most of the water was from the push on gasket, reinstalled with rtv.
While I was checking the trunk closely, found left and right sidewalls must leak regularly as the angle iron connecting floor has a lot of scaling rust.

Has anyone else found leaks on this model, and determined their source and solution.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Surprise , Arizona
DaveFL
Had the same problem with the trunk gasket and filled the holes in the rivets with rtv. With both sides of the trunk being rusted I would suspect the joint between the end cap and main roof. Seems to be a common place for leaks on many motorhomes.
harold1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold1946 View Post
DaveFL
Had the same problem with the trunk gasket and filled the holes in the rivets with rtv. With both sides of the trunk being rusted I would suspect the joint between the end cap and main roof. Seems to be a common place for leaks on many motorhomes.
I found junction of endcap, and floor trim had been caulked by po, material used had dried and lost sealing ability.

We had a second rain after fixing rivets, not fixed, couldn't figure out why it was wet just in the center, only thing left was the third brakelight, probed with a knife blade and found the problem, hole was cut too big and foam gasket had disintergrated.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
I had leak between front cap and roof
also fiberglass roof also leaked
PO never maintained roof
Now I take it in every 6 months and seal about once a year
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Check the horizontal trim that runs down the side above the storage hatches. You may need to caulk in some places where it may have separated. The worst place for me was at the very back where it made a vertical junction. Water was able to run down the vertical piece into a very small opening and fill up a wall cavity. Just happened on it when I decided to move/upgrade the 110 breaker box inside the trunk. When I unscrewed it from the wall water poured out of the screw holes. Caulk on the trim and some drying out time took care of the issue.

When I reported it to the service manager at the dealership where I bought it, I was reprimanded for making changes that could void my warranty.
I guess I was supposed to wait and discover it when things started falling apart from rot?
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
Check the running lights on the front above the windshield. The sun really beats up the seals around them. Also, water likes to come in around the bases of the side view mirrors. I removed the running lights, cleaned them up and resealed them with Permatex color matched RTV silicone. A small bead of silicone around the base of the mirrors helps.

Nancy and Bob Padilla
'05 LY gas 30' SO
Jeep Wrangler Toad
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Found another leak after one of those horizontal rains. Poor caulking job inside the refrigerator side vent cover
harold1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks