Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Miami , Florida
Land Yacht 26' vs. 30'?

Hi everyone - I'm new to this great forum as my wife and I are looking to purchase a 2000-2006 Land Yacht for a trip this summer from Florida to the Pacific Northwest. We originally were thinking about the 26', but are also looking into the 30' due to better availability and in most cases lower pricing. There will be just the two of us and our golden retriever for the majority of the trip, but might be joined by our son for short periods when in Washington. Was wondering about some comparisons that some of you may have encountered such as:

I) exterior size - I like the idea of dry camping due to nicer sites but don't want something too large that would prevent access into these areas. Would the extra length of the 30' (31' 2" actual) prevent us from getting into many areas where we could go with the 26'?

II) interior size - I think the layout of the 26' is great for it's size, but the 30' obviously has more living space and a larger bed. Will mainly be just the two of us and the dog for 99% of the time.

III) Driveability - I assume that once on the highway they are probably very similar, unless the extra wheelbase of the 30' creates an advantage for the larger unit? I'm leaning towards the 26' in this regard due to parking and maneuverability however.

IV) engine - I've seen some 2001 units that have the 454 engine, while for 2002 and newer the engine switched to an 8.1 liter GM. I'm assuming the bigger engine is better, or are both adequate?

V) Is there anything we should stay away from in regards to years, engine choice, transmissions, etc..?

Thanks for your thoughts on these items or anything else I should be considering!!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by divein View Post
h as:

I) exterior size - I like the idea of dry camping due to nicer sites but don't want something too large that would prevent access into these areas. Would the extra length of the 30' (31' 2" actual) prevent us from getting into many areas where we could go with the 26'?
no
II) interior size - I think the layout of the 26' is great for it's size, but the 30' obviously has more living space and a larger bed. Will mainly be just the two of us and the dog for 99% of the time.
Dinette large enough for the dog, couch makes up big enough for two adults.
III) Driveability - I assume that once on the highway they are probably very similar, unless the extra wheelbase of the 30' creates an advantage for the larger unit? I'm leaning towards the 26' in this regard due to parking and maneuverability however. if you can do the trip without a toad, 26 will make a difference when driving into parking lots, can't believe much difference driving.

IV) engine - I've seen some 2001 units that have the 454 engine, while for 2002 and newer the engine switched to an 8.1 liter GM. I'm assuming the bigger engine is better, or are both adequate? newer 30's also have the 8.1, so definitely more power, but without toad both will move coach, matter of fact most have to drive with cruise control not to speed.

V) Is there anything we should stay away from in regards to years, engine choice, transmissions, etc..?
Find the newest with the most miles, and all repair and replacement receipts.
Good Luck on your search.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
I don't like the corner bed on the 26 -- my humble opinion.

My 2004 had a GM transmission. It has performed well and has given no problem. I understand that the 2005 has an Allison transmission. I loved the Allison in my 2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax.

I think the 8.1 may get better mileage than the 454. No proof, just what I have heard.

When we made our search in 2009, we found that the NADA web site had realistic pricing on motorhomes, but you have to be careful that what they list as optional equipment is not standard equipment. Don't want to figure such things as awnings and AC into the price twice.

Happy hunting.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
I wouldn't be too concerned over the extra length of the 30. after traveling with a 30 foot a/s trailer for 15 yrs and now the 30 m/h, I think that both would fit into 98.3% of available sites. You didn't say whether you would be towing a toad but if you are the larger 8.1 engine would sure be a help in the mountains. Mileage on my 30 pulling a toad is 10 mpg but would sure be less in the mountains. If the 2005 has an Allison tranny that would sure be news to me: I have a gm tranny in my 2005. You didn't say how long your trip would be but for us the longer the trip the more you might appreciate the extra length of the 30. the 26 and the 30 will both require 2 parking spots in a parking lot so not much there. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
We own a 2005 Land Yacht 26ft and love it. In Yellowstone we were able to drive around and see the different sites and park with the cars vs. find the RV only spots. We have a Dodge 1 ton and it's only 5ft longer so can easily get around shopping center parking lots, etc. We also travel as a couple with 2 little dogs. If you have a 3rd person we have the dinette option and it makes into a nice bed..as long as the person isn't too tall.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Our 2005 has a GM transmission too. We like the walk-around bed and (of course) when we are docked the slide makes the inside feel much more spacious. The couch does jackknife into another bed so that may suit your son, but I suggest a mattress pad to smooth out the cushion contours. My PO visited Banks so there is more power, but I have not kept careful track of mileage, probably 10-11 when pulling the toad.

Best of success in finding a nice moho, we hope you find one you like.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
cass city , Michigan
Hi, We have a 2003 26 foot and have owned it for 2 years. We bought the unit with only 4,200 miles, from the original owner, the unit is like "new". I may be purchasing a larger unit (diesel) to pull my enclosed car hauler. I have not pulled with my 26 foot yet, but I think the enclosed trailer would pull better with the torq of the diesel. If I purchase the diesel the 26 ft will be for sale. The pictures of the 26 foot are on this site (archives - Mi.) with the dinette. I will post the 26ft if I decide to sell. Thanks Craig PS: The Airstream has the 8.1 L and handles like a dream.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hi Dave,
I am purchasing a 2002 LY with the 8.1 motor. Can you suggest the maximum towing capacity? We have an Acura MDX that weighs about 4,500 lbs and are wondering if this could be our toad?
Dennis
Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
As I recall, Dennis, the literature says 4000 pounds max tow weight. I went with a Toyota Corolla (2010 stick shift).

Sam
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisL View Post
Hi Dave,
I am purchasing a 2002 LY with the 8.1 motor. Can you suggest the maximum towing capacity? We have an Acura MDX that weighs about 4,500 lbs and are wondering if this could be our toad?
Dennis
Takes a little discussion. The 8.1 is a real powerhouse so that is not the main problem. Your gcwr may allow you to tow 5000 lbs depending how much that you load the m/h. The actual hitch on the m/h would be. On the 2005 it is rated at 4000 lbs and if so on the 2002 then your car is too heavy. You could check the model # on the hitch itself to see if it is rated for 4000 lbs or more If it is rated for more than the 4000 lbs you could go to a good reliable hitch/rv shop and have the hitch connection to the m/h reinforced. "it weighs about 4500 lbs?" check this out. empty or with gas? Are you going to load it up with stuff? You really want to know what the tow weight is. I would suggest that you have it weighed as it would be ready to travel. And remember that the more weight that you are towing, the more you will feel it at your steering wheel. Sometimes you get in a situation where you need to turn sharper at speed than you would want to and the toad will follow but the weight will want to pull your m/h rear end sideways. not good. having said all this I have a 2005 with an srx as toad weighing in at 4500 to 4700 lbs depending on what I put in it. And no matter what you end up towing, make sure that you add an auxillary braking system to it. Sometimes you have to go down those big hills as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We have a 30' 2005 with slide and love it. I can park it just about anywhere. It is easy to maneuver and fun to drive. I don't think you could go wrong with either the 26 or 30 footer. We definitely appreciate the added space when the slide goes out. Personally, I would try to find a 30 footer with slide for a long trip like yours. As far as MPG is concerned, I don't understand how anyone gets more than 8 or 9 MPG. We sure don't. When the trip meter is set to "instantaneous" gas mileage you might see 10 or 11 sometimes but that's when you're coasting. Bottom line is when I divide # miles driven by the # gallons needed to get to full tank the most I have ever seen is about 9.1 MPG. Most of the time it's high 7's to low 8's. Good luck with your search and enjoy!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
We have a little Honda SH 150 scooter for our toad. No issues backing up and it gets to 65 mph on the highway. You can see it here on the back tow hitch when we toured Banff. Plus..parking in Banff was crazy but no problems for us since we scootered in from the campground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp6er0r0z5...ooter.JPG?dl=0