Returned from extended weekend in Michigan and upon arrival home left the steps in the down position with switch off. A few weeks later wanted to take MH to gas up and top off propane. Steps would not retract. This evening I crawled under the steps and proceeded to test for 12V
, switches, grounds, etc. With controller disconnected, proceeded to jumper the motor with negative results. Motor seemed to be frozen solid. I contemplated ordering a new motor, but at $120 for lowest price decided to take the motor apart at the mounting point. After loosening the four torx (#15) screws and giving a tug on the motor housing, about two to three tablespoons of water came out from inside the housing. Uh Oh!
I removed the housing completely and found the motor shaft totally frozen in place with much corrosion. I pulled the shaft out with some difficulty and out poped the brushes and springs too. Well about two hours later after thouroughly cleaning and lubricating the motor shaft and housing and many attempts to get it back in place with the springs and brushes installed and the cover firmly in place, the steps now work better than they did when I picked up the rig two years ago. What had failed was the thin rubber gasket that was suposed to keep the motor dry. I don't intend to take this motor apart in the future as I noticed there wasn't much brush size left (less than 3/16"), and since the gasket is shot, believe I will just JB Weld the housing back in place. Who knows this may last another ten years, but I doubt it. Next time it will be a motor replacement. I'm thinking of just ordering the motor now, because you know Murphy and his stupid law. Most often it applies to me!