Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Its Official and I have questions

I am pleased to report that we are official Airstream owners. Just got home this evening with our new to us 2005 Land Yacht. Of course I have question after our shake down drive:

The driver window rattles in the track and it can be stopped with a folded business card inserted, but that's just not yachty? Anyone had this problem and whats the fix?

The passnger window has a whoosh wind noise that goes away if the window is slid open. I suppose this means new gaskets?

Generator fires right up and seems to run well, but makes a real racket when starting. Haven't looked at it yet, but maybe a loose shroud?

Thanks to all in advance, we look forward to a long relationship with all of you! Chris
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Course View Post

Generator fires right up and seems to run well, but makes a real racket when starting. Haven't looked at it yet, but maybe a loose shroud?

The metal air deflector shield over the exhaust pipe in my old 310 broke loose due to metal fatigue and rattled like hell, so yours could sure be something like that.

Enjoy, enjoy!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums. Sounds like minor problems that will be solved with time and investigation. Always take lots of pictures of your problems and solutions as we like pictures.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Welcome!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Welcome and best wishes to you and your new found friend.
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Welcome to the group. Keep us posted on problems, questions and new discoveries.

We just got back home after about 6000 miles in the last six months in ours. We can attest that our rig does work for extended living.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Off Course,

Welcome to the forum shipmate!
Everyone here is knowledgeable and very helpful.
cesalie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Welcome Newbie

A doubled over business card? I'll have to try that, I use a square tooth pick. If that's all that's bugging you, you'll fit right in here.
Search the Forums for Generator issues and you might find something like
a worn starter bendix, but rest assured you are not this first. Keep coming back here and you'll learn stuff you thought you'd never need to know.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #9

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Welcome! You got it just in time to hit the road! We just finished our 1st trip last week & heading out Friday to the Northern California Air Forums Rally at Cassini Ranch. Hanging out with Air Forums folks in person is more fun than than the forum (believe it or not). Don't forget to become a supporting member to get your Air Forums stickers.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
When I first got my Land Yacht,had a lot of issues with the drivers door. Wind, rattles, just not a good fitted door. When I took it to the nearest AS dealer for help, the service Tech. told me this is a common problem with the LYs. I didn't have a problem with the window seal as much as the seal around the door. They put a new door gasket on but it didn't help. I ended up purchasing different types of rubber gaskets made by 3M and finally got it quieted down. I was just thinking about posting a question myself asking others if they have had problems with their doors to see if it really is a common problem. The window gasket sounds like the right fix in your situation to start with. Maybe others will have ideas on it also.
Welcome to the Forum

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
When I first got my Land Yacht,had a lot of issues with the drivers door. Wind, rattles, just not a good fitted door. When I took it to the nearest AS dealer for help, the service Tech. told me this is a common problem with the LYs. I didn't have a problem with the window seal as much as the seal around the door. They put a new door gasket on but it didn't help. I ended up purchasing different types of rubber gaskets made by 3M and finally got it quieted down. I was just thinking about posting a question myself asking others if they have had problems with their doors to see if it really is a common problem. The window gasket sounds like the right fix in your situation to start with. Maybe others will have ideas on it also.
Welcome to the Forum
Mine has noise too, it seems to be coming from the forward side of the door.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
Generator

OK, generator issue has been resolved. Turns out I had almost dead batteries and the noise I heard was the starter trying to start with low voltage. New batteries and wa'la she fires right up as she should. Thank you all for the kind welcome. Were having out first weekend away this week. I'll post photos on our return.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Drivers side door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
A doubled over business card? I'll have to try that, I use a square tooth pick. If that's all that's bugging you, you'll fit right in here.
Search the Forums for Generator issues and you might find something like
a worn starter bendix, but rest assured you are not this first. Keep coming back here and you'll learn stuff you thought you'd never need to know.
Paul, does your 1994 have the driver side door? Or just a power window on that side. Do you know what year AS stopped using a door on the widebody diesel MHs? Or if it was allways available as an option? I've seen some 94's with drivers side doors, but have noticed newer year models without. Do you have an opinion on which style you think may be better.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Congrats on your purchase, that exact model and color was the first AS MH we looked at, at the time they were still in production, and priced low from new but beyond what we wanted to invest. Loved the round sink and galley design, didn't need the room of the SO so kept looking for one without SO and at the right price, found it in the 2000. Still happy with our choice, as I am sure you will be after you fix the minor problems.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
2005 ly

Dave

Nice to see ur also from fla. we're on our first weekend trip in okeechobee. So far so good. Rear air is blowing a breaker, but we can have that looked at upon our return. Set up went well and so far we love her. Thanks for the kind words. Chris
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
Chris,
Congratulations on your purchase!
We live in Michigan and just returned from Florida.
Drove the MH 2150 miles. It was a blast.
Check your PM. Feel free to call.
Bob

(BTW, our driver's side door definitely is noisy in a cross wind. Replacing the weather stripping is next on my list. Our window doesn't rattle, but the door does. And the generator does make a lot of racket when you shut it off.)
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
My driver's door window is not just the cause: it is the horizontal piece the window closes in to. I had chronic issues with the door window sticking and not lowering: the glue in this top horizontal piece had weatherstrip glue that got on the window and "glued" it closed. Cycling the up/down usually got it to release until the mechnism detached from the glass inside the door. Then, of course, the window releases and dropped down.

The window is actualy only glued in to the mechanism and keeping the window top clean and lubricated prevents the glue from sticking and holding the window in the "up" position. I have not tried to fix the rattle yet, thinking of injecting some sealant in the ends and letting all sit up and "reseal." The weatherstripping on that door is also loose, so...another project!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Beside to let the generator run for a few minutes before turning on the front and rear ac units. We also have issues with noise from the front of the drivers door on our 05 LY.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
Keep coming back here and you'll learn stuff you thought you'd never need to know.
I think this should be our tag line at the top of the forums!!!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote