Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
2003 26' Land Yacht-"Bud"

coarsegold , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferboy1 View Post
That is pretty cool. I had no idea they made something like that. Now if someone would come up with a butane Chi.

Like this?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #16

coarsegold , California
The Next Stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa View Post
...snip...I DO KNOW that I want to get at least 2000w, continuous of pure sine. I think I want to go with 12v using 4 6v; 2 in parallel and 2 in series. But I'm not sure about any of it (except my use level) until I hear some more of your experiences.
Looks like I made a deal on a pure sine 3600w (9000w surge) inverter. I think I can fit four 6v's in an area that will work. The inverter has no charger or switch, but it's got a lot of juice. Anyway, the inverter is now not in the question stage. I'm looking to hard wire the inverter into a box by the shore power plug and plug it in (using the shore power cord and plug) when necessary. So...no switch necessary...Maybe later. But if I use 4 6's, what charging set and charger(s) up do you all recommend? I'll put a remote on the charger (or is it "chargers) and only turn it on when on shore power. And does it make sense to go 2 parallel and 2 series to get the 12v? And (I almost hate to ask this) but, what batteries do any of you like. I may have to use an enclosed space under the bed, but open to the basement (rear) storage for the batteries...it's not too far from the inverter site.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
Mine is wired inline as Batwing described and catches a couple of plugs in the kitchen area, the front of the coach which supports the TV and electronics and a plug under the dash I use for the computer. It is wired to 4 house batteries and has a solar panel. It will power the MH 3 to 4 days if you manage the power well, you can run the generator an hour or so a day in the mornings when power useage is high useing blow dryers, coffee pots, electric water heaters, microwave and such. I got a coffee pot with an insulated carafe because the warmer would really drain the batteries. Good luck, an inverter is a great option when you don't have to use air conditioning.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
It seemed like every time I used my MH one of the house batteries was bad. I don't believe any of them lasted more than a year. After years of problems with high dollar batteries I decided to get a set from Wal Mart for ease of exchanging them. They have been in there over three years without a problem. If you go six volt golf cart batteries Sams has them for a resonable price.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Food for Thought

Hey magwa, I saw the list of electronics you had listed in post 4. Electronic things like that will use power even when turned off. Be sure to unplug them or have a way to turn off / disconnect the inverter so the electronics don't kill batteries with a ghost draw when not in use.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
i stupidly plugged in a small electric heater into the inverter outlet because i am still new to the tech. suffice it to say it tripped it off as i tested the other inverter outlet and it is out as we have a total of 2 inverter outlets. where/how do you reset the inverter. i am in co. camping and would like the outlets to work. thanks if anyone has a rescue.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #21

coarsegold , California
I'm no Expert, But I'm Getting Preety Informed

You're camping...At least you have internet.

Which inverter are you running? What MH/TT? If there is no reset on the inverter, you possibly blew a circuit breaker when you overloaded. A simple flip of the circuit breaker switch should do it....without the heater plugged in.

Did you try the socket on the inverter (after a "cooling down" period for you *and* the inverter) with something within the inverter's load range? I'm assuming your batteries are charged adequately.

Again, I'm not the one with good answers...I have mostly questions for the Veteran members here. But I'm on line and would be happy to help if you need me to look up the inverter stats to see if there's a "reset" button or something.

First, I'd start with the above.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
i have to get to the inverter under the dinnette seat and see about that switch you mentioned. i will never do this again so it was a great lesson to a newbie. none of the circut breakers were tripped off that i could see behind the brown door under our closet they were all switched on. the 2 inverter outlets were not listed as being on a breaker like that as far as i could see but this is an adventure and we are hooked to shore power and all the other outlets are working normally.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #23

coarsegold , California
Finished The Install

Sure enough. I ended up with the Airpax Dimensions 3600N hooked to two 12v Northstar batteries hooked in parallel. These things are 131 lbs each, 170.8Ah deep cycle, and made for the telecom industry. The charger is a Go Power 10 amp, three stage that I have wired in immediately upstream of the shore power plug.

In the bedroom on the wall, I'm using a remote on/off for the inverter, a 110 switch for the charger. I'll turn it "off" when on inverter power. The simple "manual" switch for the inverter/shore power: I get out, open the electrical bay, plug into either shore power or inverter power using the 30amp plug.

I tested the heck out of it and two hours with TV, lights, plugging a mini-die grinder in and turning it on and off, running the air (just for a minute)....all work well and almost no "measured" drop in battery storage. Of course, (also on the bedroom wall) I only have a mickey-mouse volt gage that I'm running remotely. If anyone knows of a good digital gage, that would be a help. All I can find on EBay are garbage Chinese units that are panel mounted.

Anyway, until I report back based upon actual use, "all systems are go". Thanks again to all for the help.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Good to know
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What camera

What Webcam did you use to take that picture of you and the kids?!!!! Amazing quality....[QUOTE=magwa;744801]So, I've been researching the inverter stuff and find many available that will work. I added up the wattage requirement of the "stuff" that The Boss uses...
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #26

coarsegold , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
What Webcam did you use to take that picture of you and the kids?!!!! Amazing quality....
It's the one that came with the Apple computer. So easy, *I* can even use it!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
My Apple does not have the camera in it...I think that came out the year after i bought mine....Everyone was using the isight which I don not have.. Really nice quaility
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
76' 31' Sovereign rear bath Wants INVERTER

We want to be able to run our electric fridge while running down the hwy. So we are looking at an inverter of some kind as well. It would be nice if it could power the Tele/DVD as well....I guess I need a list of what I will need and how to hook it up....That sounds so simple doesn't it?