Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
I have put a TV on the wall behind the bench seat and table I need to get the antenna

I have a 1998 land yacht 30.
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
I have a 1998 land yacht 30.

I don't know what that is all about but that's not all I typed
I need to move the antenna wire to the passenger side in the
closet I need the best route if anyone can help.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
You may want to consider going down through the floor, under the coach and back up. You may also be able to use one of the ceiling seams but I think that may be more problematic. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Trident:

There is a channel with wires going from CS to SS that you can snake the antenna cable thru. Assuming that the dinette is curb side and the closet is there as well. I used an electrical type snake to do mine. Remove the hatch cover below the closet to access and feel around the other end winds up below the reefer access hatch SS.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
Trident:

There is a channel with wires going from CS to SS that you can snake the antenna cable thru. Assuming that the dinette is curb side and the closet is there as well. I used an electrical type snake to do mine. Remove the hatch cover below the closet to access and feel around the other end winds up below the reefer access hatch SS.

Steve

This is good useful information, I found the channel under some installation right were you said it would be. I have a snake to the other side now I can put in the tv coax and add a speaker for that side and pull a string that I will leave for future projects. I hope you can use that tv mount I came up with.
Thanks again
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Do you have pictures? This is where we thought we would like to put our TV, but, like you, were unsure of how to get the wiring figured out, so went to plan B of putting an LCD where the old CRT is.

How big a TV were you able to put there?

We have a Landyacht 30, 1997.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelygoode View Post
Do you have pictures? This is where we thought we would like to put our TV, but, like you, were unsure of how to get the wiring figured out, so went to plan B of putting an LCD where the old CRT is.

How big a TV were you able to put there?

We have a Landyacht 30, 1997.

I bought a 22 inch LED I could have bought a 24 inch I think it would work without moving anything like the thermostat or outlet.
I wanted a 12 volt because I only want to crank up the antenna and reach for the remote. This one has a cd built in ,Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400217237.193699.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	212019Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400217296.357206.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	938.2 KB
ID:	212020Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400217337.146440.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	962.0 KB
ID:	212021Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400217373.831617.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	991.7 KB
ID:	212022can be a
computer monitor , USB and other features. The mount I came up with holds the TV only 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the wall good in that location but it still slides out to make connections or for better viewing. Yes this is a better location but now I have a large hole in
the dash, any help with what I might do with it would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
I bought a 22 inch LED I could have bought a 24 inch I think it would work without moving anything like the thermostat or outlet.
I wanted a 12 volt because I only want to crank up the antenna and reach for the remote. This one has a cd built in ,Attachment 212019Attachment 212020Attachment 212021Attachment 212022can be a
computer monitor , USB and other features. The mount I came up with holds the TV only 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the wall good in that location but it still slides out to make connections or for better viewing. Yes this is a better location but now I have a large hole in
the dash, any help with what I might do with it would be appreciated.

The parts to install the tv this way are at Amazon, look up Accuride 3832c or equal.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Looks great - just what we were thinking of! But we just picked up a 110v unit, never thought of 12v, good idea, and nice with built in CD player.
As far as the hole in the dash goes, I have see pictures where doors to match the rest of the cabinetry have been put on to make a useable storage area.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
AS 2004 or 5 models have tv where you mounted and a cabinet in place of tv in dash.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
If you decide to use the drawer slide mount, I used a thin metal plate over the mounting holes on the tv for a little added strength.
I think if makes the two slides act more like one and that makes it all stronger. See the plate in the picture.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Here's what I did when I removed the TV in the dash on my 92 LY:

I made the cabinet and had the door custom made for around $35. All solid oak and very functional.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Very nice! That's what we are planning to do, now that we have the TV wall-mounted (copy of Trident's installation).
Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
TV mounted!

Well we returned the original TV we bought to replace the original front dash TV, and bought a larger (24" with DVD) one and mounted it to the wall behind the dinette. It involved raising the thermostat (fortunately there was enough extra wire from the original installation).
We still haven't 'snaked' the antenna wire - found the channel running under the floor from the closet to the fridge, but aren't sure how to get from there to where the booster is (and then to figure out which piece of coax it is…..)
There is coax attached to the booster, but also 4 other coax wires behind the fabric on the end of the cabinets by the drivers seat.
Is there a channel somewhere?
Any help on this, Trident?
At any rate we can now watch a DVD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	212307  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Well we returned the original TV we bought to replace the original front dash TV, and bought a larger (24" with DVD) one and mounted it to the wall behind the dinette. It involved raising the thermostat (fortunately there was enough extra wire from the original installation).

We still haven't 'snaked' the antenna wire - found the channel running under the floor from the closet to the fridge, but aren't sure how to get from there to where the booster is (and then to figure out which piece of coax it is…..)

There is coax attached to the booster, but also 4 other coax wires behind the fabric on the end of the cabinets by the drivers seat.

Is there a channel somewhere?

Any help on this, Trident?

At any rate we can now watch a DVD!

That 24 inch good choice, did you go with12 volt ?

I ordered my tv cable to hook up to the booster next to the booster switch the same place I hooked up temporarily a 12 volt CRT 13 inch tv that was in the bed room. I am planing to run the cable up from the channel turn right at the micro wave and tuck it in side the back of the cabinets out of sight.
I will let you know if it works. Hope this helps.

I replaced the bed room TV with a stunning 1080p monitor flat panel that I got at a garage sale it's not a tv but it is a very nice monitor for blue ray CDs. O yes I put in surround sound I made from a computer speaker system with a powered sub woofer great place to watch pandora or I am legend for the 14th time just kidding . The trouble is it's all 120 volt in there but it is nice.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Ooo - great idea with the flat screen monitor! We have one we aren't using, so replacing that CRT in the bedroom would be perfect! Did you remove the housing the 13" CRT was in? We haven't had our unit long enough to check what's in, around, behind everything yet, but if that cabinet is only up there for the TV it would make it easier getting around in the bedroom if it was gone!

Keep us posted on the antenna cable - it sounds like you are starting from the TV and going to the booster switch. Somehow we were thinking of going the other way…..

No, we didn't do 12v. It hadn't occurred to us, and where we bought the TV they didn't have it in 12v. (we returned the original and swapped for the larger one).

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and for keeping us posted on how it is going. Glad to get ideas!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Ooo - great idea with the flat screen monitor! We have one we aren't using, so replacing that CRT in the bedroom would be perfect! Did you remove the housing the 13" CRT was in? We haven't had our unit long enough to check what's in, around, behind everything yet, but if that cabinet is only up there for the TV it would make it easier getting around in the bedroom if it was gone!

Keep us posted on the antenna cable - it sounds like you are starting from the TV and going to the booster switch. Somehow we were thinking of going the other way…..

No, we didn't do 12v. It hadn't occurred to us, and where we bought the TV they didn't have it in 12v. (we returned the original and swapped for the larger one).

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and for keeping us posted on how it is going. Glad to get ideas!

We kept the housing but mounted the monitor on a hanged 1/4 inch board so we can and do store stuff in the housing. I got that mounting idea off this site ,I don't remember the title of the sight but it was a good idea. I think you would have a damaged wall to deal with if you remove the housing.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Here's what I did when I removed the TV in the dash on my 92 LY:

I made the cabinet and had the door custom made for around $35. All solid oak and very functional.

Is this something your cabinet person would be interested In doing for others ? We wouldn't need the box behind the raised panel door and frame I think I could handle that, jest the raised panel and frame jest like yours. Would you let us know ?
Thanks in advances .
Trident
Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Actually the frame is part of the box in the back and I was the cabinet maker that made it. The door was a custom unit made by a company that does mail order custom cabinets. The company's name is RawDoors.net. You can go onto their web sit and custom make any door you want. You choose the wood type, the style and the dimensions. They then make you the door to those dimensions and then ship it to your home. Price was very reasonable.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:

I got the antenna wire in. Yes from the new tv location to the booster. It went by way of the existing conduit under the floor comes up under the refrigerator then behind the microwave (so be sure to reseal any holes in the frig compartment to keep out fumes) behind the cabinets then up to the booster. Yes it was hard and I do that kind of work for a living. But if you have the time it can be done.
Tv likes the signal and I can as a added bonus hook up to outside sources if I find them at a camp site.