Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelygoode View Post
Well we returned the original TV we bought to replace the original front dash TV, and bought a larger (24" with DVD) one and mounted it to the wall behind the dinette. It involved raising the thermostat (fortunately there was enough extra wire from the original installation).

We still haven't 'snaked' the antenna wire - found the channel running under the floor from the closet to the fridge, but aren't sure how to get from there to where the booster is (and then to figure out which piece of coax it is…..)

There is coax attached to the booster, but also 4 other coax wires behind the fabric on the end of the cabinets by the drivers seat.

Is there a channel somewhere?

Any help on this, Trident?

At any rate we can now watch a DVD!

That 24 inch good choice, did you go with12 volt ?

I ordered my tv cable to hook up to the booster next to the booster switch the same place I hooked up temporarily a 12 volt CRT 13 inch tv that was in the bed room. I am planing to run the cable up from the channel turn right at the micro wave and tuck it in side the back of the cabinets out of sight.
I will let you know if it works. Hope this helps.

I replaced the bed room TV with a stunning 1080p monitor flat panel that I got at a garage sale it's not a tv but it is a very nice monitor for blue ray CDs. O yes I put in surround sound I made from a computer speaker system with a powered sub woofer great place to watch pandora or I am legend for the 14th time just kidding . The trouble is it's all 120 volt in there but it is nice.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Ooo - great idea with the flat screen monitor! We have one we aren't using, so replacing that CRT in the bedroom would be perfect! Did you remove the housing the 13" CRT was in? We haven't had our unit long enough to check what's in, around, behind everything yet, but if that cabinet is only up there for the TV it would make it easier getting around in the bedroom if it was gone!

Keep us posted on the antenna cable - it sounds like you are starting from the TV and going to the booster switch. Somehow we were thinking of going the other way…..

No, we didn't do 12v. It hadn't occurred to us, and where we bought the TV they didn't have it in 12v. (we returned the original and swapped for the larger one).

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and for keeping us posted on how it is going. Glad to get ideas!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Ooo - great idea with the flat screen monitor! We have one we aren't using, so replacing that CRT in the bedroom would be perfect! Did you remove the housing the 13" CRT was in? We haven't had our unit long enough to check what's in, around, behind everything yet, but if that cabinet is only up there for the TV it would make it easier getting around in the bedroom if it was gone!

Keep us posted on the antenna cable - it sounds like you are starting from the TV and going to the booster switch. Somehow we were thinking of going the other way…..

No, we didn't do 12v. It hadn't occurred to us, and where we bought the TV they didn't have it in 12v. (we returned the original and swapped for the larger one).

Thanks for your help and suggestions, and for keeping us posted on how it is going. Glad to get ideas!

We kept the housing but mounted the monitor on a hanged 1/4 inch board so we can and do store stuff in the housing. I got that mounting idea off this site ,I don't remember the title of the sight but it was a good idea. I think you would have a damaged wall to deal with if you remove the housing.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Here's what I did when I removed the TV in the dash on my 92 LY:

I made the cabinet and had the door custom made for around $35. All solid oak and very functional.

Is this something your cabinet person would be interested In doing for others ? We wouldn't need the box behind the raised panel door and frame I think I could handle that, jest the raised panel and frame jest like yours. Would you let us know ?
Thanks in advances .
Trident
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Actually the frame is part of the box in the back and I was the cabinet maker that made it. The door was a custom unit made by a company that does mail order custom cabinets. The company's name is RawDoors.net. You can go onto their web sit and custom make any door you want. You choose the wood type, the style and the dimensions. They then make you the door to those dimensions and then ship it to your home. Price was very reasonable.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:

I got the antenna wire in. Yes from the new tv location to the booster. It went by way of the existing conduit under the floor comes up under the refrigerator then behind the microwave (so be sure to reseal any holes in the frig compartment to keep out fumes) behind the cabinets then up to the booster. Yes it was hard and I do that kind of work for a living. But if you have the time it can be done.
Tv likes the signal and I can as a added bonus hook up to outside sources if I find them at a camp site.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Can you describe the process of pulling the wires through the conduits? Just wondering what is the best way.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Can you describe the process of pulling the wires through the conduits? Just wondering what is the best way.

How much of the postings on this subjects have you read?
You will want to find at say Harbor Fright an inexpensive fish tape , nylon or fibor glass is good. It's a roll slick cable with a eyelet on the end for tying things like wire. Under the closet like was mentioned, is the beginning of the under the floor conduit get that fish tape from under the closet on the passenger side to under the refrigerator on the drivers side then write me again. You will see the beginning of the conduit under the closet by looking for and following the other wires that are in the same conduit.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
How much of the postings on this subjects have you read?
Every one.

The reason for asking was because I was hoping you had some more detailed insight on the best way to get those wire fishes through the mess of wires that AS installed. The wire conduits on my 36' 93 LY are a complete nightmare to pull wires through. AS used the smallest possible conduit and created big jumbles of wires in the middle. Guess I was wrong.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Every one.

The reason for asking was because I was hoping you had some more detailed insight on the best way to get those wire fishes through the mess of wires that AS installed. The wire conduits on my 36' 93 LY are a complete nightmare to pull wires through. AS used the smallest possible conduit and created big jumbles of wires in the middle. Guess I was wrong.

Did you try the that fish tape I mentioned it was a hard pull but I got it through. You may need a metal fish tape if it's that hard to get thru but you run the risk of nicking a wire so don't force it in and if it gets caught cut it off don't try pulling it out it will damage the wires. Be sure to turn everything electrical off at the source if you decide to go with the metal tape.

Did you see what I came up with to fill the hole in the dash? I would like the opinion of a cabinet maker like yourself?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Pictures please!!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
pictures please!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402858309.439109.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	752.2 KB
ID:	214273
Old 06-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Now that is perfect for a Land Yacht! Very nice, Trident!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Nice job.