Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
How do you calibrate the auto leveler?

How do you calibrate the auto leveler? Mine does not always get it level, I have to do some tweeking with the manual controls. I think level to my fridge/freezer plate is not the same as the counter top.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If your coach is not leveling properly, I would give HWH a call and ask for Frank.You may not be able to speak to him right then, but he will call you back before end of day. I don't think it would be a calibration as much a a part not performing as intended. Their very good on service, at least they have been with my experience with them. HWH # 800-321-3494 or 563-724-3396

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The leveler sensor is a white disk and is located under the coach along the center line near the rear wheels (on mine). There are three screws around the edge that are used to level the sensor. The screws have springs that keep the sensor pushed up against the screw head. Just turn the screw to raise or lower that edge of the sensor. Level the coach manually and then adjust the sensor until all the yellow lights are out.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the fridge EXACTLY level. Most fridges will operate several degrees off center. The shelves in the fridge may not be a good indicator of level either. I'd level it based on the floor and let it be. Counter top should be a good point of reference as well. Just don't use the table in the dinette area.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I was always under the assumption that you level your coach according to the freezer plate or floor
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
The leveler sensor is a white disk and is located under the coach along the center line near the rear wheels (on mine). There are three screws around the edge that are used to level the sensor. The screws have springs that keep the sensor pushed up against the screw head. Just turn the screw to raise or lower that edge of the sensor. Level the coach manually and then adjust the sensor until all the yellow lights are out.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the fridge EXACTLY level. Most fridges will operate several degrees off center. The shelves in the fridge may not be a good indicator of level either. I'd level it based on the floor and let it be. Counter top should be a good point of reference as well. Just don't use the table in the dinette area.
Actually, the specifications for older absorption fridges specifies that a level be placed on the floor of the freezer compartment to ascertain the level orientation of the unit. Newer units (after the mid to late 90's) require that the vehicle be 'comfortable to walk in' as a guide for properly setting the level for fridge use.

The older fridges required to be precisely level due to the nature of the gas/absorption process and it's use of gravity to aid in the proper flow of the 'refrigerants' within the tubing of the cooling unit. Newer models have been 'improved' to operate satisfactorily without being perfectly level.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Actually, the specifications for older absorption fridges specifies that a level be placed on the floor of the freezer compartment to ascertain the level orientation of the unit. Newer units (after the mid to late 90's) require that the vehicle be 'comfortable to walk in' as a guide for properly setting the level for fridge use.

The older fridges required to be precisely level due to the nature of the gas/absorption process and it's use of gravity to aid in the proper flow of the 'refrigerants' within the tubing of the cooling unit. Newer models have been 'improved' to operate satisfactorily without being perfectly level.
My refrigerator was manufactured in 1992 , which level then. I would hate to ruin a perfectly good fridge
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
2 to 3 degrees is well within Dometic's specs for a 92. If your fridge is more then 2 degrees off your floor/counter top (either front to back or side to side) I would be very surpriesed. My point is that a small variation (a couple degrees) in slope will not kill your fridge. If you feel that it's manditory to level it exactly to your fridge, then by all means adjust your sensor so that it matches your fridge. Just letting you know where the sensor is and how to adjust it.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just a side note: The sensor is not exact.

From HWH:
The sensing unit has an accuracy tolerance of ± 5.4 inches front to rear and ± 1 inch side to side on a 36 foot vehicle.

So you may find you still have to adjust the level manually to get the "bubble" in the exact center.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
That is probably why , Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Our MH almost never levels out completely using the "auto" button.

I always tweek it a little using the "manual" function.

It's part of the ritual of setting up camp!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On my CLIPPER, the level system 'brain' is mounted on the ceiling of the main cargo bay, between the frame rails, forward of the water tank at the center point of the coach. It works well, but some stops don't always involve deploying the jacks.

If we overnight at a rest area or similar unplanned stop, I will try to park in a flat area so that when the air is dumped the body is not being torqued by the frame to axle contact.

I have wall and window bubble levels but, they are only as accurate as the position they are mounted and, they tend to get disturbed when window cleaning. They are also hard to read in the dark.

The easiest way I have found to determine level after dark at these locations is by using a marble on the center console on the CLIPPER.

Many times in the past, when I would ask my navigator if everything was acceptable and level, I would get the "I don't think so" answer. So for a simple confirmation now I use marble technology.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Auto Level Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Our MH almost never levels out completely using the "auto" button.

I always tweek it a little using the "manual" function.

It's part of the ritual of setting up camp!
And after a few days in the same location the MH typically settles a bit.

So we'll retract the jacks and reset them.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I seems there should be a check when the jacks pump to a point.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
My refrigerator was manufactured in 1992 , which level then. I would hate to ruin a perfectly good fridge
I would use the old method (level the freezer floor) to be on the safe side.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
The coach will pump up side then stop and bleed down to a point and repeat until I stop it.