Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
House battery master switch

Is it safe and/or a good idea to turn the house battery master switch off when plugged into shore power? Except for a few hours a day to refresh the charge on the batteries (2 Exide Stowaway ST31DC205s)?

I have noted a loss of battery electrolyte in recent months, and suspect that my (less than two year old) Parallex 7345RU converter/charger is overcharging my batteries.

How might I check that?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The house battery switch should be left on. That way your 12 volt devices run off the batteries. Otherwise your charger will run continuosly. It is important to check the water levels in the batteries often, at least once a month. I check mine every 2 weeks as I'm a fulltimer & need the batteries.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
3 Dog Nite

Thanks. I was afraid that would be the answer.

Have you ever heard of or seen a timer for the charger?

Magnetek is a single stage charger, and puts 13.8 volts to the batteries at all times. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new converter/charger.

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Have you checked the output or just quoting the manufacture?

I would check it with a good voltmeter. a charger putting out more than 13.8 volts will tend to boil off the battery. Also I would remove the ground wire from the batteries and check them. Make sure they are balanced and one does not have a bad cell.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Howie,

Just quoting manufacturer. I can check it though, and will when I am using external AC again. MH is "resting" now, in preparation for our Everglades trip next month.

I am annoyed that CW didn't tell me that it was a single stage converter/charger. Don't know what to do about that -- I really would prefer a 3 stage converter/charger.

Thanks for your advice & help.

Safe Travels,

FRank

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I believe the Magnatek unit can be converted to a three stage charger with the addition of a chip. These used to be available from Camping World but several years ago they changed the product and included the chip. Check with Magnatek. You definitely need a multi stage or smart charger. By the way you can become the smart part of the charger by simpy unpugging it on a regular basis. Monitor the state of the batteries on a weekly basis and set up a regular un-plug the charger cycle. Not easy but definitely cost effective. Main potential problem is you cannot let the battery freeze since this will destroy battery. This can happen if you let them completely discharge and then freeze.

Howard
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Howard,

Thank you for your advice. I'll contact Magnetek Monday and see if there is a way to convert my 7345 to a three stage charger. It is only two years old, so maybe that will work -- would be nice if it can be done.

In the meantime, how do I unplug the charger? I gather it is a separate, easily identifiable part of the converter/charger? If it can be unplugged, that suggests that a cut off switch (or a timer) can be installed, either of which will make it much easier for me to manage my battery condition.

No danger of freezing the batteries. I am in Florida, and we leave on our annual trip when the temps up Nawth are well above freezing. We are "reverse" snowbirds -- winter quarters in Florida and summer quarters in the MH wherever it is not 95 degrees and 95% humidity!

Safe travels.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Frank,
Where is the magnatek located on your 33, I am in the process checking as many parts as I can before our first trip. New machine with unknowns is not relaxing or wanted if someone else is doing the repairs, po had systems screwed up due to "experts" at the dealership.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Dave,

The power distrubution center is located under the sink on the street side of my MH. It is in a brown metal roughly 12" square container with cooling vents on the FRont. There are four screws that hold the FRont panel on. Converter/charger is behind that panel on bottom of power distruibution center; AC circuit breakers are on the left upper and the DC fuses are on the right upper panels.

Safe travels,

FRank

Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Try a timer

Check out my "Great Ideas" column in the current Airstream Life magazine. I use a heavy-duty lamp timer (must have a 3-prong outlet) and a short, heavy duty extension cord to run the converter part-time while in storage.

I use just a single battery in my Classic since I do not boondock. I set the timer to charge for 1/2 hour, twice a day. When I am using the trailer, I can either increase the charging time or simply bypass the timer by plugging the converter directly into the extension cord.

In very hot weather, the battery will lose water even when the trailer is in use. This happened to me at the Perry International trip before I installed the timer.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Pahaska,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Does your trailer have a Magnetek converter/charger? If so, where can I find the power cord for the charger?

Safe travels,

FRank

Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Pahaska,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Does your trailer have a Magnetek converter/charger? If so, where can I find the power cord for the charger?

Safe travels,

Frank
Mine does have the Magnetec.

In must conventional layout Airstreams, the power cord from the converter plugs into an outlet on the front wall of the trailer. I know that the 30 Bunkhouse and perhaps the current front bedroom models may be somewhat different. At any rate, the converter comes with a fairly short cord so that there will be an AC outlet fairly close to the converter. I had to half-raise my couch to reach the outlet in my Classic 28.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you very much! As I think about it (MH is in storage at present), there is a 115 v outlet under the sink. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Appreciate the tips!

Safe travels.

FRank

Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Frank, on my 33' the converter is behind the carpeted panel under the dash, in front of the front passenger seat. The outlet sets right beside the converter,both are mounted on the right side wall.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
gloran,

Thanks. I'm presuming that for whatever reason, AS changed the electrical system component locations. As I stated in an earlier post, my AC/DC distribution panel is located under the left side of the sink, which in 1990 was on the street side of the MH.
Your galley is on the curb side, I believe.

My house batteries are located under the step at the entrance door. Where are yours?

Safe travels,

FRank

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Smile converter and inverter location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
Frank, on my 33' the converter is behind the carpeted panel under the dash, in front of the front passenger seat. The outlet sets right beside the converter,both are mounted on the right side wall.
Thanks, my thirty does have the carpeted panel, and found the two screws to take it off, they were buried in the carpet. Tv is plugged into the inverter in the same area.
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Frank, All my batteries are located under the hood left side,two house and the one coach.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
gloran,

I guessed as much. That explains why your converter/charger is in the front of your coach.

Does anyone know if the Xantrex XADC converter/charger will fit in the space the Magnetek 7345 occupies? Dimensions are very close.

Thanks to all for their help and insight re: my charger/converter.

FRank

Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Frank,

I installed a Xantrex (2.0) last summer and while they are similar in size, the Xantrex needs much more free flow of air. I posted pics on here back in the fall. I love this system and all battery problems have been eliminated. Just make sure there's no restriction on air flow and use minimum of 2/0 cables and minimal length runs to batteries. I can send you a quick install sheet if you like to decide if you want to go this route.

John

penworks2@juno.com
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Gunworks,

Thanks. I'd very much appreciate a copy of your install sheet. Email to fdavis03@earthlink/.net, please.

Safe travels,

FRank