Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
hubbardston , Massachusetts
hot water woes

92 36ft ly
taking showers , water goes hot to cold to hot to cold,,,
seems ok at faucets but not steady warm in shower ????
why???
kevin
kepko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you have a pressure compensating shower valve, the water pressure may not be strong enough to activate it when you turn the shower down while soaping up and the water can turn cold. It happens sometimes to me—when I turn it on full force it gets hot again. I just get out of the way of the shower until I'm ready to rinse, but it isn't pleasant. If it happens when the shower is going full force, the valve may be defective.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Leaving the shower on to your setting and installing a shower head shutoff valve cures it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does this happen when using the pump or hooked to city water or both?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Could well be that you have an uncharged or underpressurised accumulator tank. In our '94 LY this is totally buried behind the kitchen sink. Little mention in the manual, but essential for maintaining flow in your water system. We had symptoms like yours, and rather than mess with the accumulator tank I bought one of these

Flojet R4525743A 4.5 GPM VSD Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive

Although more expensive than other pumps, this one provides constant pressure, and only pumps when that pressure is lowered, i.e. when you turn on a faucet. It made a world of difference to showering.

I just left the accumulator tank in place, as it does no harm to do so. The whole job of replacing the pump took under half an hour.
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
RV shower heads have a setting that reduces flow to save water. That may reduce pressure and does reduce flow. A pressure compensating valve has a part that moves back and forth between the inlets for cold and hot water as pressure in one pipe or the other goes up or down and it evens it out to keep temperature constant. I am guessing reduced pressure or flow at the outlet (shower head) is not enough to move that part properly and you get too much hot or cold water, though in our case it is almost always cold. When I replaced the shower head, the new one does not restrict flow as much and quick temp changes happen less often. You can install a shut off valve where the pipe comes out of the wall and turn it off entirely—something I only think of when I'm in the shower. As soon as I get out, it goes into forgettery.

Perhaps some Airstreams came from the factory with accumulator tanks, but ours didn't. It performs the same purpose as a pressure tank if you have a well pump or in a hot water heating system—to keep constant pressure in the system instead of pulsating pressure directly from the pump. It has a bladder in it where water pressure compresses air and then the air expands as pressure starts to drop and boosts the pressure until the pump turns on again. RV accumulators must do the same thing, though they are a lot smaller than those in well systems and a bit smaller than ones for hot water heat.

Gene

Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Perhaps some Airstreams came from the factory with accumulator tanks, but ours didn't. .....

Gene
Gene, yours is a 2008, whereas we're talking early 90's. My belief is that all LY of that vintage had accumulator tanks. I didn't know I had one for 2 years, but then tried to solve the poor flow problem, and read the manual in detail. The problem is that Airstream for some unknown reason located this tank, that needs to be repressurised occasionally, where it is quite inaccessible: you have to take out all the drawers in the kitchen area.... ALL the drawers, and then would be operating with arms outstretched to do anything to the accumulator. Easier to ignore its existence and get a constant pressure pump, which is what later models like yours very likely already have. The test is, when you switch on the pump, does it keep on buzzing as long as it's switched on? If yes, then it's NOT a constant pressure pump. If on the other hand it buzzes for 20 seconds or so, then goes quiet until you run water, it IS a constant pressure pump.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Punch, you didn't get the arm stretcher that came with your model? Nice to learn I have a constant pressure pump; never knew that.

Gene

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Punch, you didn't get the arm stretcher that came with your model? Nice to learn I have a constant pressure pump; never knew that.

Gene
That must have been an option I didn't get, along with the double reversible elbow joint to turn the valve under the bathroom sink that shuts off the outside faucet.... some things AS did so well, others so DUMB.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
hubbardston , Massachusetts
thanks guys
i did have rv dealer put in new pump last year
coincidence ,,, had problem after???
turn on pump switch and it runs for 15 seconds and stops
didnt know about accumulator
like extrol tank on well ???
will try connecting to city water