Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Help finding Satellite dish

Hello, I just purchased a 2005 Land Yacht and haven't even brought it home yet. I spent the last few days scouring the site and can't find what I am looking for, so here's a post. When I went on the roof of my new LY I see that it is wired for satellite and there seems to be a mount and wire, but no dish. I haven't had time to ask the previous ower and I can certainly do that, but I figure someone here would know. What kind of dish can I put there without making new holes in the roof? The mount has 3 arms spread out evenly from the middle. Is the mount a standard feature. Also the wire is just laying there and you can see it comes up from the cabinet where the entertainment switch is. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?
Thanks in advance. Not my first motorhome, but certainly the most interesting and nicest one I've owned.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Mine has an antenna on the roof, but no dish. It has a crank on the inside directly below it - about in line with the door, toward the curb side from the centerline. I don't know if our coaches had a satellite option or not - I haven't seen anything in my manual that might indicate they did.

Safe travels,
Marion

Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Are you looking for just the dish or the the whole assembly? Do you have a picture?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
With the new technology I would put a 360 degree HDTV antenna on the roof and if I still needed satellite, I would go with dish on a tripod with a 100 foot cable. By the way when I bought my MH it had a dish and hardware, never used it as most sites we get are in the shade, and when MH is at home it is under cover so dish doesn't work.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Go to www.motosat.com for one solution that works very well for us on our roof. Push a button and you're done.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The problem with a mount on the roof is that have to pick your sites carefully to make sure you have that southern sky view. Once you park the vehicle you may find that you can't get the dish aimed correctly due to obstructions. That setup sounds a little to restrictive to me. What I am looking at is a satellite system from Dish network called the Tailgater. MyDISH Upgrades | Products | Tailgater - MyDISH Customer Support

What is interesting is that I'm already a Dish customer so the investment is in the outdoor unit and the receiver. Technically the receiver can be used at home with your existing satellite hookup. Or if you want to keep it in the trailer/motorhome, you can call Dish and have the service turned on or off for partial periods of time. It has HD service capability and assuming you can secure the outdoor unit, you have a lot of ability to move the dish around in order to optimize your satellite view in the sky.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info. Once I take delivery I'll take a picture. I'm assuming that since it's an '05 I need to update the tv situation due to the digital change. Maybe I need to converter or update antenna? I don't necessarily need satellite (Directv at home) because we are definitely recreational travelers although the goal is to travel more. All original entertainment components are there. I'll be devoting next weekend to dig in and learn about my new coach.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeabody View Post
Thanks for the info. Once I take delivery I'll take a picture. I'm assuming that since it's an '05 I need to update the tv situation due to the digital change. Maybe I need to converter or update antenna? I don't necessarily need satellite (Directv at home) because we are definitely recreational travelers although the goal is to travel more. All original entertainment components are there. I'll be devoting next weekend to dig in and learn about my new coach.
The crank up antenna you have should work just fine for digital. The original antenna on our '65 Caravel brings in great Digital High Definition.

Think about getting a portable dish and bringing your Direct box from home.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeabody
... I'm assuming that since it's an '05 I need to update the tv situation due to the digital change. ...
Hopefully the tv has a built in digital tuner, if not you'll need one of those digital converter boxes. That's one more thing that needs a place to live in your trailer between the antenna and the tv. The antenna you have will be just fine for digital stations. You'll know more after you take delivery.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm sure I'll know a lot more after next weekend. I'm looking forward to getting to know our new RV and my wife is looking forward to cleaning it...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I have the Dish network "Tailgater" and love it. I have dish at the house so all I need to do is take my VIP211K receiver and connect it to the Tailgater. Tell it what state I'm in and 10 minutes later I have all my programming with no aiming. If you don't have a dish account you can buy time one month at a time. You just need the Tailgater and a VIP211 receiver. Wont work going down the road, but it's convenient and relatively affordable at $400 for the dish and receiver.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeabody View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 2005 Land Yacht and haven't even brought it home yet. Not my first motorhome, but certainly the most interesting and nicest one I've owned.
Welcome to the forum and the ranks of ASLY owners from PA; at least that makes two of us. But seriously, the folks here are tremendous and I'm sure you'll receive all the help you'll ever need.

Best of luck with the new rig,

Randy, Pam & 🐕
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
I am contemplating simlar issues. We just bought our 2000 LY 30' in December and are trying to figure the TV issue out. The unit has a huge old TV mounted in the dash. We hope to replace that with a flat screen on a swivel maybe mounted under the cabinet behind either the driver seat or passenger seat. I have no idea yet where the cable/sat connections are. I hope to convert the hole in the dash left when I take the monster TV out into a storage cavity for Maps, Next Exit, etc. The TV in the bedroom will stay in the same general location but I hope to upgrade it to a flat screen too. We camped with a A/S 30' travel trailer for years with a sat dish on tripod and Direct TV receiver. Other than the pain in the neck of setting up the tripod and dialing in the signal it worked pretty well. I hauled my tripod and satdish in the truck so I think I want one of the smaller new cube style satdish that is easier to store.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
I am contemplating simlar issues. We just bought our 2000 LY 30' in December and are trying to figure the TV issue out. The unit has a huge old TV mounted in the dash. We hope to replace that with a flat screen on a swivel maybe mounted under the cabinet behind either the driver seat or passenger seat. I have no idea yet where the cable/sat connections are. I hope to convert the hole in the dash left when I take the monster TV out into a storage cavity for Maps, Next Exit, etc.
If it helps, '04 and '05's handled the storage and TV placement like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0216.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	178137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0215.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	178138