Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
First night boondocking with the new pop up dish and receivers! I'm in a walmart parking lot in Montana and this is one of the main reason I went with the pop up dish (the real reason is I'm lazy)... A tailgater just isn't convenient in situations like this, not to mention bad form I suppose. The dish went up tonight and I was a bit worried about some trees nearby but it locked onto signal even though it looks to be pointing right towards one.

I have the Hopper plugged in rather than the 211z to see how fast it drains the battery. It may be a wash between receivers as I've figured out how useful another fantastic feature is... The sling technology built in. This lets me use my ipad as a fully featured TV to access anything on the hopper... Live or DVR! So i have power savings not having to power a regular LED TV but I eat some power using the hopper with spinning drive vs the 211z.

A side benefit is I can watch TV in the bedroom or even on the throne! With Sling, I won't need a receiver in the bedroom even if I get a regular tv in there (will just use a sling player device).

If I am really hurting for power I can just watch Netflixor some dish on demand content on the ipad if I have room in my data plan to do so, which is usually the case.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #82

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post

A side benefit is I can watch TV in the bedroom or even on the throne! With Sling, I won't need a receiver in the bedroom even if I get a regular tv in there (will just use a sling player device).

If I am really hurting for power I can just watch Netflixor some dish on demand content on the ipad if I have room in my data plan to do so, which is usually the case.
I've got the external Sling connected via USB to my home Hopper and like you say it's really neat to watch via the laptop o r the iPad. The quality is remarkable. I remember being down in Destin Fla watching the noon St. Louis news coming from the home Sling through Panera Breads WiFi. Also works great through my Verizon MiFi.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I am eager to try watching my hopper in the trailer from Starbucks or friends/family home. That would be pretty cool. I tried the other day but the airstream wasn't parked in a great location for mobile Internet. Or maybe the network wasn't setup properly. I just redid the setup tonight.
WBCCI #1711
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
A tailgater just isn't convenient in situations like this, not to mention bad form I suppose.
Exactly what do you mean by this? I've been using the tailgater for a few years and can't imagine anything more convenient. I have an external connector in one of the lower compartments that I simply connect the cable to and then place it anywhere that has a direct line of sight view of the southern sky. What is "bad form"?

A few weeks ago I was in a campsite that was covered with trees. Nobody near me with a roof mount antenna could get their satellite system working. I simply connected a 100' cable to the tailgator and moved it out of the tree line. Within 10 minutes I had my satellite system working.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post

Exactly what do you mean by this? I've been using the tailgater for a few years and can't imagine anything more convenient. I have an external connector in one of the lower compartments that I simply connect the cable to and then place it anywhere that has a direct line of sight view of the southern sky. What is "bad form"?

A few weeks ago I was in a campsite that was covered with trees. Nobody near me with a roof mount antenna could get their satellite system working. I simply connected a 100' cable to the tailgator and moved it out of the tree line. Within 10 minutes I had my satellite system working.
Whoa... Not generalizing about the tailgater. Just talking about it being bad form to set up camp at walmart. At least the advice I've heard is that you shouldn't set out chairs, awnings, etc. when there, and it would seem like the tailgater would be one of those things as well. Unless you could do so discreetly like in the bed of a truck.

I likely will be setting up my trailer to use a tailgater in situations like what you describe.
WBCCI #1711
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The tailgator can be setup as a semi permanent antenna by using a removable ladder mount made by King Controls for the VuQube. The tailgator sits in the mount while driving, but can still be easily removed and repositioned when needed. The part number is MB400. Gives you the best of both worlds. Here's the mount I'm talking about:
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote