Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #71

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yeah, I was on their site yesterday and didn't see any 211z's. I'm not sure if they ran their supply ran out or whether Dish wants them to push the 211k units to get rid of inventory. Last April Dish wouldn't sell me a 211z and Solid Signal did. I wonder if there were some issues there. Bottom line I am extremely happy I got the 211z vs the 211k.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Well I should have the Z on the way - just have to figure out the hopper equipment. Really hope I can get it leased and also the 1st year savings. Have calls into a dew local installers.

WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #73

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
Well I should have the Z on the way - just have to figure out the hopper equipment. Really hope I can get it leased and also the 1st year savings. Have calls into a dew local installers.
Great let us know what you find!

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I think everything is working out now with Dish via 3rd party independent reseller. I won't post the name as I don't want to cause trouble for anyone but a local installer or Internet retailer is the way to go for people finding themselves in the same boat where you don't fall into the normal situation where dish insists on an installer hookup. PM me if help or info is needed.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quick update - I have the 211z installed with my winegard Trav'ler (the motorized roof mount pop up dish) and I also hooked up a 2TB external hard drive so I could use it as a DVR. I paid the $40 one time fee to dish to activate the feature on the account.

I also have a Hopper on the way, and I'm glad for that and that I went for the full size dish that can support multi tuner DVRs as I can tell I am going to be frustrated by the DVR limitations of the 211z. It only has a single tuner so you can't watch one live program while recording another (thought it would be sufficient but now I don't think so). Also, the number of scheduled events you can have seems quite limited. I'm hardly into choosing programs for "season pass" type stuff and it says I'm at the limit!

I'm new to dish but I'm assuming and expecting that the Hopper is a lot more robust. As a full timer, I think the extra money for the whole setup was worth the expense. If I'm going to have TV in my life, I want good DVR features to try to have it somewhat on my terms. I was reasonably happy with my directv DVR in my sticks and bricks and I hope the hopper compares to that experience or I'll regret not springing for the directv pop up dish.

I didn't have much TV at all for the first 6 months of full timing, and i hardly missed it after getting used to it. I was actually kind of excited to be "free of the spell" that TV held over my life! LOL so I feel a bit like I've fallen back into a bad habit.

I still think that I will use the 211z and/or the over the air antenna when boondocking as it will be easier on the battery than the hopper.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #76

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:

I also have a Hopper on the way, and I'm glad for that and that I went for the full size dish that can support multi tuner DVRs as I can tell I am going to be frustrated by the DVR limitations of the 211z. It only has a single tuner so you can't watch one live program while recording another (thought it would be sufficient but now I don't think so). Also, the number of scheduled events you can have seems quite limited. I'm hardly into choosing programs for "season pass" type stuff and it says I'm at the limit!

I'm new to dish but I'm assuming and expecting that the Hopper is a lot more robust.

I still think that I will use the 211z and/or the over the air antenna when boondocking as it will be easier on the battery than the hopper.
Just a couple of FYI's. The 211z and the Hopper can both support external hard drives. Note however, that the format used for storage for the 211z and the Hopper are not compatible. So if you plug your hard drive that has recordings from the 211z into your Hopper, you will not be able to view recordings and vice versa.

Since our home has the Hopper, if we have an Internet link, we can still access the Hopper to either watch it or to watch programming that is recorded on its hard drive. The good side is with only a single satellite tuner on the 211z, any conflicts will be covered by our Hopper at home.

Keep in mind that from a power standpoint, the Hopper hard drive is always spinning, even when the unit is turned off. (obviously removing the Hopper from power will shut down the drive). Try to make sure the Hopper gets air flow since it does normally runs somewhat warm, even if it is turned off.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Awww bummer I was hoping to get lucky to be able to swap the external back and forth though I realized being able to do so was a long shot.

I am wondering how the receivers will react to having the hard drive added and subtracted, and if they will gracefully allow that to happen without a lot of configuration. I expect to use the external drive only when stopped for longer periods but will have to see how usage materializes. I got a drive that uses 12 volt power in case I want to try to run it from batteries, however.

As it is now, when i am off shore power I will have to use my inverter to elevate the dish and for the receiver. I am going to order a 12 volt TV so I won't need it for that. If I really want to save power I will just try to use over the air signals. Next step up will be the 211z, without hard drive attached, if I find that my battery capacity and solar allow for reasonable usage. Hopefully since it doesn't have moving parts it will use less juice than a DVD player, as I know I have gotten good usage watching DVDs on my battery capacity and solar.

KVH has a 12 volt tuner for directv... Wish I had one for dish! I can set up the dish to elevate on 12 volts with a step up transformer so if a 12 volt tuner existed I wouldn't need the inverter for any of it. I'm somewhat tempted to try hacking the 211z!
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #78

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Awww bummer I was hoping to get lucky to be able to swap the external back and forth though I realized being able to do so was a long shot.

I am wondering how the receivers will react to having the hard drive added and subtracted, and if they will gracefully allow that to happen without a lot of configuration. I expect to use the external drive only when stopped for longer periods but will have to see how usage materializes. I got a drive that uses 12 volt power in case I want to try to run it from batteries, however.

As it is now, when i am off shore power I will have to use my inverter to elevate the dish and for the receiver. I am going to order a 12 volt TV so I won't need it for that. If I really want to save power I will just try to use over the air signals. Next step up will be the 211z, without hard drive attached, if I find that my battery capacity and solar allow for reasonable usage. Hopefully since it doesn't have moving parts it will use less juice than a DVD player, as I know I have gotten good usage watching DVDs on my battery capacity and solar.

KVH has a 12 volt tuner for directv... Wish I had one for dish! I can set up the dish to elevate on 12 volts with a step up transformer so if a 12 volt tuner existed I wouldn't need the inverter for any of it. I'm somewhat tempted to try hacking the 211z!
Note the the hard drive must have an external power supply, no USB power. The drive should not have energy conservation/sleep mode. Dish sells one online for $100. It's a Western Digital AV model. Dish has issues waking up drives that sleep.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I did see the AV model but it seemed like it was only available in 500gb and they have not updated that product line for awhile. I ended up getting the same brand and form factor but 2 terabytes in size. So far it seems OK but now that you mention the power saving mode I will have to do more research on compatibility from that perspective while I can still make a return.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #80

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I did see the AV model but it seemed like it was only available in 500gb and they have not updated that product line for awhile. I ended up getting the same brand and form factor but 2 terabytes in size. So far it seems OK but now that you mention the power saving mode I will have to do more research on compatibility from that perspective while I can still make a return.
The one that Dish sells is 1TB for $99 which includes free shipping. That specific model was designed for video purposes. It's USB 2 which is slower technology but Dish has yet to build a USB 3.0 supported receiver. Typical problems reported with the power saving drives is the drive disappearing, which requires you to unplug the drive to power cycle the drive and then sometimes unplugging the USB cable.

The 2 TB Hopper drive reserves 1TB for your recorded programs. The other TB is reserved for Prime Time, on Demand, Rentals, and software overhead.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
First night boondocking with the new pop up dish and receivers! I'm in a walmart parking lot in Montana and this is one of the main reason I went with the pop up dish (the real reason is I'm lazy)... A tailgater just isn't convenient in situations like this, not to mention bad form I suppose. The dish went up tonight and I was a bit worried about some trees nearby but it locked onto signal even though it looks to be pointing right towards one.

I have the Hopper plugged in rather than the 211z to see how fast it drains the battery. It may be a wash between receivers as I've figured out how useful another fantastic feature is... The sling technology built in. This lets me use my ipad as a fully featured TV to access anything on the hopper... Live or DVR! So i have power savings not having to power a regular LED TV but I eat some power using the hopper with spinning drive vs the 211z.

A side benefit is I can watch TV in the bedroom or even on the throne! With Sling, I won't need a receiver in the bedroom even if I get a regular tv in there (will just use a sling player device).

If I am really hurting for power I can just watch Netflixor some dish on demand content on the ipad if I have room in my data plan to do so, which is usually the case.
WBCCI #1711
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #82

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:

A side benefit is I can watch TV in the bedroom or even on the throne! With Sling, I won't need a receiver in the bedroom even if I get a regular tv in there (will just use a sling player device).

If I am really hurting for power I can just watch Netflixor some dish on demand content on the ipad if I have room in my data plan to do so, which is usually the case.
I've got the external Sling connected via USB to my home Hopper and like you say it's really neat to watch via the laptop o r the iPad. The quality is remarkable. I remember being down in Destin Fla watching the noon St. Louis news coming from the home Sling through Panera Breads WiFi. Also works great through my Verizon MiFi.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I am eager to try watching my hopper in the trailer from Starbucks or friends/family home. That would be pretty cool. I tried the other day but the airstream wasn't parked in a great location for mobile Internet. Or maybe the network wasn't setup properly. I just redid the setup tonight.
WBCCI #1711
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
A tailgater just isn't convenient in situations like this, not to mention bad form I suppose.
Exactly what do you mean by this? I've been using the tailgater for a few years and can't imagine anything more convenient. I have an external connector in one of the lower compartments that I simply connect the cable to and then place it anywhere that has a direct line of sight view of the southern sky. What is "bad form"?

A few weeks ago I was in a campsite that was covered with trees. Nobody near me with a roof mount antenna could get their satellite system working. I simply connected a 100' cable to the tailgator and moved it out of the tree line. Within 10 minutes I had my satellite system working.