Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We just upgraded to HD with Dish and I researched the "Tailgater" with them at the same time. I intend to purchase it in the Spring. Dish informed me that I can put it on my current account. They also say that you can purchase coverage for it by the month if desired.

We used to travel with a single horn dish antennae, and take our receiver from the house. Gets to be a hassle. The Tailgater sells for $500 and includes its own receiver as well as the antennae. You can also buy just the antennae.

The antennae is automatic in that its finds the satellites for you.

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-ou...search_results

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I have the Dish Tailgater and love it. Like Cooperhawk said, the antenna will auto find three sats (110, 119, 129) by it self and uses the VIP211K receiver for full HD. The receiver will detect the Tailgater and automatically setup the switches. Takes about 7 to 10 minutes from power on to watching your programming. If you tell Dish where you are they can even spot beam your local programming to you. They will enable and disable your receiver on a month-to-month basis so you don't have to pay for the months that you're not using it. Once purchased, there is no charge for using the Tailgater and if you use your house receiver there’s no cost for the receiver either so your billing doesn’t change at all. If you do pick up a dedicated receiver then it’s only a $7/month charge to put it on your account and only for the months you are using it.

I picked up my Tailgater for $325 shipped on sale and a used receiver for $60. I love the flexibility of deciding location. When in clear site of the southern sky I just put it on the roof near the ladder. If I have no clear view I can move it anywhere within a radius of 100' of the LY.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Dish Update

Hello, I wanted to share an experience. My brother-in-law upgraded his dish to a HD Directv dish and GAVE me his in-motion Winegard MiniMax. I was happy as can be until I installed it and the motor that makes it spin was burnt. We took our maiden voyage from PA to FL over Thanksgiving and watched over the air when we parked and it was fine. I was able to contact Winegard and it was covered under warranty which was great. They sent me a refurbed unit and it only cost me when shipping the broken unit back. At first I was quoted $70/hr plus parts, but apparently the problem I had was common. It was technically out of warranty. Great customer service and overall I got a great deal. Now my rig is under a cover for the winter and the satellite dish is ready to go when it thaws out here in PA. I plan on using an H20 from my house which is HD, so I'm not quite sure how to program it at this point. Stay tuned...
jpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Has anyone been able to use the tailgater when visiting Canada?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Not the Tailgater, but we have used a dish in Canada. The satellites are very low on the horizon so you need to either have a clear horizon to the south or elevate the antennae.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
There are some issues with using the Tailgater on SAT 129 in the Northeast regions of the US. Check up on Dish's web site for the Tailgater and you'll see a coverage map.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Sorry, should have been more specific, does the tailgater work North of the 48th parallel?

I am quite aware that the "look" angle is further to the horizon the further north you go.

Just lookin for someone with experience using one.

Steve
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We have Direct TV at home, and a ( 3 y/o ) 3005 "Traveler" from Weingard--- which has just advertised some new products. Great reception with HD. Roof mounted. Problem free.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Note: The Tailgater® only works in the 48 contiguous United States.

Tailgater - Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Take TV Outdoors With DISH!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific, does the tailgater work North of the 48th parallel?

Steve
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I cannot find that note. Where does it say that on the web page?

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Click here for details.

Setup.

The Tailgater® Portable HD TV System consists of a fully-automatic, portable satellite antenna and an HD solo receiver. It's easy to set up and automatically finds the right satellite for your DISH signal. Portable and lightweight, it's easy to carry from one outdoor activity to the next.
Note: The Tailgater® only works in the 48 contiguous United States.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
I cannot find that note. Where does it say that on the web page?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I would be disappointed if travelling in Canada and not able to receive signals due to some limitation in hardware pointing devices. programming And vice versa.

Basically if you are seeing the satellite and know where it is from your particular geographic location and you have a valid subs and able to point to it you get the programs.

I was just wondering if the Tgaiter was purchased in Detroit MI and crossed the bridge to Windsor ON CA would it work? Or is there some magic border guard switchig off the ability to use it there?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Does the Tailgater mount somewhere? What do you do with yours? What about security?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
You can buy a locking ladder mount for it. Otherwise it only has a cheap plastic tab you can lock it with. Some have run a cable under the handle that's more secure.

I don't think it will just stop working once you're in Canada. I think it's more of an issues with how low the Dish SATS are on the horizon.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
Tailgater in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
.........I was just wondering if the Tgaiter was purchased in Detroit MI and crossed the bridge to Windsor ON CA would it work? Or is there some magic border guard switchig off the ability to use it there?
That's a good question! I know that whenever we use the Ambassador Bridge or Detroit-Windsor Tunnel to go to Windsor the cell phone knows immediately. The calls instantly become "International" and so do the charges!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Living in a border town I get roaming charges even if not in the US and have to have these reversed by the cell provider. It is a regulatory arrangement between Canada and the US where it is "illegal" to receive one another's sat signals in the other's country eg if I am subscribed to Bell, Starchoice or Shaw legally in Canada then I would be branded a "criminal" for doing so for receiving those in the US. Remember prohibition? Yet it is not illegal to get OTA signals with an antenna. Go figure.
This means that the US sat provider cannot advertise in Canada nor the Canadian sat provider in the US, for their services an International treaty arrangement.

I could go on at naseum on this topic. Below are a couple of links which may be of interest for some.
AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator and TV Fool for ota reception.

Regards and Happy Viewing
Steve
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
update

I moved my LY into a garage for the remainder of the winter, which seems to be never ending here in PA. 6 inches of snow today as we speak. I was able to reinstall the dish that I received from Winegard and had no issues. I pulled her out of the garage and voila Directv in all of its glory. I can get the local channels within 100 miles from home, but using the antenna is better anyway since they are HD over the air. I updated the front TV to an LED and I'm not sure what to do in the back. I think I'll leave it for now and just watch the satellite. I was originally going to use an H20 box from home, but decided to just purchase an SD box. That's a whole other story...bought one on Ebay and when I called about it they said it was a leased unit and I should throw it away. Called Directv back later and haggled a new box for $50. I wanted to update my dvd player as well and lose the VHS combo to save space. Scrapped that idea because they just don't make DVD players with screw on coax outputs anymore. Anyway I am pleased with the entertainment situation for now. Now I'm just waiting for this snow to go away to get on the road. Thanks
jpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #38

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
FYI Dish will be releasing a new 211 receiver that will work with the Tailgater. It will be dubbed the 211 Z. The major improvement is that it is much smaller than the current 211 K receiver. I just had some work done on my home system and the service person gave me a $25 off coupon. He told me to wait for the 211 Z. It purposely was designed to deal with the footprint issue that is important for many of the RV users.

He also showed me a neat iPhone app that can work also on an iPad with camera and GPS. It's called "Dish For My Rv Satellite Finder". It sells for $5 from Apple. It turns on your camera and you point your phone to the sky. It will show you the positions of the satellites superimposed in the camera's view. It's really cool and will tell you i instantly as to whether you have a clear view for your dish. Note that this software only works with Dish network satellites.

My problem is I don't have an iPhone, my wife's iPad 1 has a GPS but no camera, and my iPad 3 has a camera but no GPS.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
UPDATE: I got my ViewCube and hooked it up to my Directv in my LY. Works great. Very easy to hook up and be watching TV in minutes. It will get a workout over the next three weeks. We leave tomorrow from cool but clear Lafayette, LA to Middle Tennessee where it is snowing and cold. Go figure........
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Looks like the 211Z is available.
DISH Network ViP 211z MPEG4 High-Definition HDTV Satellite Receiver / Tuner (ViP-211z) from Solid Signal)

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote