Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
from your description, sound like at one time there was a dome shape roof mount antenna by Weingard. Check them out. The PO might have taken it with them, or ????

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
I am contemplating simlar issues. We just bought our 2000 LY 30' in December and are trying to figure the TV issue out. The unit has a huge old TV mounted in the dash. We hope to replace that with a flat screen on a swivel maybe mounted under the cabinet behind either the driver seat or passenger seat. I have no idea yet where the cable/sat connections are. I hope to convert the hole in the dash left when I take the monster TV out into a storage cavity for Maps, Next Exit, etc. The TV in the bedroom will stay in the same general location but I hope to upgrade it to a flat screen too. We camped with a A/S 30' travel trailer for years with a sat dish on tripod and Direct TV receiver. Other than the pain in the neck of setting up the tripod and dialing in the signal it worked pretty well. I hauled my tripod and satdish in the truck so I think I want one of the smaller new cube style satdish that is easier to store.
One thing to remember is those cube units are made by the same company. The difference is that the unit from Dish will support HD. The Direct unit will not due to how Direct transmits its HD signal.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
True but we have DirectTV at home and have a DirectTV receiver on that account for the MH. I have been very happy with that arrangement I just got tired of setting up and leveling the dish. Also when we sold our Excella and bought the Land Yacht the dish and stand required storage I didn't have. One of our WBCC unit members has the Vucube and is very happy with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
True but we have DirectTV at home and have a DirectTV receiver on that account for the MH. I have been very happy with that arrangement I just got tired of setting up and leveling the dish. Also when we sold our Excella and bought the Land Yacht the dish and stand required storage I didn't have. One of our WBCC unit members has the Vucube and is very happy with it.
That makes sense. In my case we were considering going to Direct but we found that the lack of HD (we already have an HD TV in the trailer), and the higher cost of the Direct cube vs. the Dish was the deciding force for us. Does Direct allow you to cancel the service for the Land Yacht when you aren't on the road? I know we can do that with Dish so that will minimize the cost off season.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Satellite TV Antenna

jpeabody,
welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase! We bought the tailgater and are having good luck with it. If you put an antenna on your roof it really restricts your parking locations. Good luck with your decision.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Jack I don't know if DirectTV will let you pay when you travel and not charge you when you don't or not. We live south of Interstate 10 in Lafayette, LA and use our direct TV receiver often enough that we had one for our trailer that we now leave in the MH. We are still working on the Land Yacht and are anxious to get it out soon. Our Mardi Gras rally is next weekend.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We just upgraded to HD with Dish and I researched the "Tailgater" with them at the same time. I intend to purchase it in the Spring. Dish informed me that I can put it on my current account. They also say that you can purchase coverage for it by the month if desired.

We used to travel with a single horn dish antennae, and take our receiver from the house. Gets to be a hassle. The Tailgater sells for $500 and includes its own receiver as well as the antennae. You can also buy just the antennae.

The antennae is automatic in that its finds the satellites for you.

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-ou...search_results

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I have the Dish Tailgater and love it. Like Cooperhawk said, the antenna will auto find three sats (110, 119, 129) by it self and uses the VIP211K receiver for full HD. The receiver will detect the Tailgater and automatically setup the switches. Takes about 7 to 10 minutes from power on to watching your programming. If you tell Dish where you are they can even spot beam your local programming to you. They will enable and disable your receiver on a month-to-month basis so you don't have to pay for the months that you're not using it. Once purchased, there is no charge for using the Tailgater and if you use your house receiver there’s no cost for the receiver either so your billing doesn’t change at all. If you do pick up a dedicated receiver then it’s only a $7/month charge to put it on your account and only for the months you are using it.

I picked up my Tailgater for $325 shipped on sale and a used receiver for $60. I love the flexibility of deciding location. When in clear site of the southern sky I just put it on the roof near the ladder. If I have no clear view I can move it anywhere within a radius of 100' of the LY.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Dish Update

Hello, I wanted to share an experience. My brother-in-law upgraded his dish to a HD Directv dish and GAVE me his in-motion Winegard MiniMax. I was happy as can be until I installed it and the motor that makes it spin was burnt. We took our maiden voyage from PA to FL over Thanksgiving and watched over the air when we parked and it was fine. I was able to contact Winegard and it was covered under warranty which was great. They sent me a refurbed unit and it only cost me when shipping the broken unit back. At first I was quoted $70/hr plus parts, but apparently the problem I had was common. It was technically out of warranty. Great customer service and overall I got a great deal. Now my rig is under a cover for the winter and the satellite dish is ready to go when it thaws out here in PA. I plan on using an H20 from my house which is HD, so I'm not quite sure how to program it at this point. Stay tuned...
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Has anyone been able to use the tailgater when visiting Canada?

Steve
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Not the Tailgater, but we have used a dish in Canada. The satellites are very low on the horizon so you need to either have a clear horizon to the south or elevate the antennae.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
There are some issues with using the Tailgater on SAT 129 in the Northeast regions of the US. Check up on Dish's web site for the Tailgater and you'll see a coverage map.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Sorry, should have been more specific, does the tailgater work North of the 48th parallel?

I am quite aware that the "look" angle is further to the horizon the further north you go.

Just lookin for someone with experience using one.

Steve
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We have Direct TV at home, and a ( 3 y/o ) 3005 "Traveler" from Weingard--- which has just advertised some new products. Great reception with HD. Roof mounted. Problem free.