Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
2003 26' Land Yacht-"Bud"

coarsegold , California
Hello...But a Question, Too!

Well, here we go. I retired in September and the Boss is calling it quits 11/1. The 26' 2003 LY will be picked up this Saturday. We're calling her "Bud"...The name of my wife's (The Boss) father who passed away last year at the age of 95. It the fruits of all of our labors, including his that allow us the new-found freedom.

We have flat space out here. As we get more deeply involved with the AS world, we'll offer up some space if anyone is interested in their pass-through to Yosemite...Very near our home.

The question(s): Does anyone know if it is feasible to jettison the dinette and install a couch that may be suitable for sleeping. In the time we would both eat inside, I see us on a couch with trays rather than in the bench seats.

If anyone has done this conversion...I'd love to "go to school" on your experience.

Finally, I see that there is basic good humor and positive attitude, rather than one-upsmanship on this Forum. I appreciate that. I also see the tongue-in-cheek fiberglass/aluminum saber rattling.....As we used to say in my early days of motorcycling, when someone would demonstrate an elitist perspective about brand/horsepower, color, whatever: "The Only Real Disease, Is Not Having Your Knees In The Breeze".....

I don't ride anymore. But I have a new "breeze"....

Bill "Magwa" Keener (Irene's the Boss)
Coarsegold, CA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	84406  
magwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Magwa,

Welcome! We are approaching our fifth year with our LY and it certainly been interesting. I bought a used one and much of the ongoing maintenance was deferred. Unfortunately to me! Most things are now in working order, some side wall work needs to be done from window leaks, but that is longer term and with the leaks repaired, the walls can wait. Added Banks Power to the Cummins diesel and feel I "saved" the engine from catastrophic failure. All of you who have this engine and exhaust system may need to check the muffler as AS hid a catalytic converter internally inside the muffler. Mine was near 90% blocked and resulted in high engine temps and no power. Most everything else was small stuff, but annoying. May take you up on the stopover, as we want to see this area in the years ahead. Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa View Post
we'll offer up some space if anyone is interested in their pass-through to Yosemite...Very near our home.

is feasible to jettison the dinette and install a couch that may be suitable for sleeping.
If anyone has done this conversion...I'd love to "go to school" on your experience.

Finally, I see that there is basic good humor and positive attitude, rather than one-upsmanship on this Forum

Bill "Magwa" Keener (Irene's the Boss)
Coarsegold, CA
Congrats on purchase.
Thanks on offer of parking.
Sorry last item hard to answer as we have a 30 which is actually 31 ft so they installed a dinette and couch in ours.
The dinette in ours converts to a bed but has been used as a couch with extra cushions. Also the seating back has electrical stuff in it so would be hard to remove, but in the archive I did see where someone removed built in dinette to change to a place for a recliner.
Dave
No boss but do have a navigator without buttons to control
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have been retired and Airstreaming for the last 3 years. We've spent 450 nights in our dear Lucy. We have pulled her almost 50,000 miles, and have been in all of the lower 48.

It's really a great life style. We are indeed "living the dream"
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
downey , California
Hi. . . My 2004 26ft LY has a couch, an option in place of a dinette. There are two "holes" in the floor in front of the couch to place some posts and a table top on the posts. It works but it's a hated thing! It leavs very little room to get around, is a pain to remove from storage under the couch. I wish I had a dinette. Think about it!
Chuck
cfanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

coarsegold , California
Dinette

Chuck,

Thanks. I'm now learning to live with the dinette...$$$$$$, of course. And sage advice from folks like you.

I appreciate your input.
"Advice taken"!!!

Bill "Magwa" Keener
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Bill,

Can't help with the dinette question, when we recently bought our AS, one of the key factors was that it had to have a dinette!

For some reason we just enjoy our meals in a dinette (maybe its a nostalgia thing for diners!) and also use it for board games, computer work, writing postcards, etc etc.!

Sorry to hear that you no longer enjoy life on two wheels! I got back into it after a hiatus ot many years once I retired (10 years ago) and haven't looked back since.

I'll likely only give it up when I sense that I'm becoming a danger to myself - or more importantly to others, meanwhile "Ride it like ya stole it!" is the motto!

I'm off tomorrow morning for a few days riding with a couple of mates!

Cheers ........... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #8

coarsegold , California
Riding HD's and then BMW's

Forty-five years of riding. I had a ton of fun. With only a few bruises and broken things along the way. Nothing that ever kept me off of two wheels.
But I slowed down and then stopped having fun. It happens.

That was when I knew it was time to "put the Boxer to bed"....When it's time, it's time.

Here's hoping fun and more fun for you, Brian. Not too much better way to spend time, I'd say.

And, "Dinette it is!" Thanks for the nudge in the correct direction.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
WE love our dinette. Great in the rain and to have 2 more in for dinner.
You can make the dinette convert to a sofa with big pilllows however that is why we bought our gal. We use it for computer, to eat, chill and I think it is not difficult to take out the dinette and put in a sofa bed, if you are handy.
welcome! fun fun fun and great people
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
The dinette is a personal preference IMHO. I removed mine as i don't entertain all that much and have plenty of counter space. Though I had both a dinette and a couch, took them both out and built custom cabinets.

In the end you just have to think it's your living space and whatever works best for you. Unless of course you plan on selling it anytime soon. renovations/remodels can affect resale value but what the hey... There is no right or wrong just whatever you prefer.

tbro

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote