Old 03-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
HDTV channel antenna ?

Do these work on my existing antenna ? I just like to get local programming/news.
Winegard Wingman for Sensar UHF/VHF improvement - $20.89

Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
All this will do is improve the performance in the UHF band. Your existing antenna is perfectly good for receiving HDTV signals in the VHF band but may not be great in UHF. If you're looking at Evans, WV it looks like all but 1 of the channels antennaweb.org considers local to you are in the UHF range (RF channels above 13) so it may help you some.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The price is pretty reasonable, too.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mixed results.

Hi, my brother put one of these on his Class "A" motorhome and said that he could not tell any difference. He also stated that it is only connecting plastic to plastic, so what can it do? [decoration] Since I bought a new digital TV instead of the one that needed a convertrer box, I don't even have to raise my antenna anymore.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I tried an experiment with mine when I took it off the old SOB to be installed on the AS in my drive. All though I don't recall the precise numbers, I got nearly twice the number of channels after installation than before. In Chicago suburbia, it was something like 17 before and 30 something after. (we have a lot of obscure stations around here including a lot of small Spanish stations) Point is, they work to reach out further for signals. They don't improve the picture quality, per se, but will pull those fringe channels in more clearly than without. In other words, you "circle" of reception is larger.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Rich: The "Wingman" isn't a booster or an amp, it's an antenna whose shape is optimized for UHF, as opposed to the regular "batwing" thing or an old-school Winegards that are optimized for VHF. Most of the extra channels you received are probably RF channel numbers of 14 and above (regardless of what their HDTV channel is... HDTV divorces the actual RF channel from the displayed channel, sometimes it's the same but often it's not.)

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
DBK, I understand, I'm just saying my choices of viewing are more numerous with the Wingman. I think (as I recall) almost ALL the channels are 14 and above. I do think it does capture some of those UHF channels better than before and certainly there are more channels. I am fully aware that there is no additional booster or amplifier.
All I can say is, I have more choices for not a lot of money.

When I am closer to full timing, the answer is a sat system, but I still have to work awhile and I am sure the technology will be cheaper and better by that time.

Until that time I like the performance of this cheap add on.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Thanks for the replies I don't think I'll get one at this time
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Going Places , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
Thanks for the replies I don't think I'll get one at this time
We limped around without a Wingman for a few years and then we had one installed on a fluke when a technician was on the roof for some other repairs. I am amazed at the difference. With the Wingman we definitely receive more channels - many times the channels are in the UHF band and this gizmo helps - it really helps. Maybe it's magic, who knows... but we definitely receive more channels.

In addition it helps when pointing the antenna toward the signal. We point the Wingman in the direction we find via www.antennapoint.com and get reasonably good reception on the first try. Sometimes we do some adjusting with the direction but antennapoint.com (with the smartphone app) is amazing.

I previously used antennaweb.org but antennapoint.com is much better IMO.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I don't know how well this might work inside the A/S: I put one of these on the second floor of my house & got great results at low cost. I may try one in the moh, but it is fiberglass, not pretty aluminium: Winegard FlatWave FL5000C Translucent Digital Flat Antenna - Available Exclusively at Costco!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Wingman

I was having problems with reception with the roof top Wineguard, so I purchased the wingman hoping to improve it. I discovered that the coax cable was nearly broken off where it connects at roof line and bottom of antenna, so that was the real problem. But it does get good reception now, just can't tell how much better if any because of the previous connection problem. You might run into the same problem I had if you decide to install the wingman, because our coaches are similar in age and length. With the wingman attached to the side of the antenna, and where the antenna is located on my roof - it no longer had room to lay down flat on the roof, it hit the galley skylite. I tried several different ways and could not find one that would allow it to lay down and be secure enough to travel down the road. Then I came up with the idea to make a cradle stand that it could fit into to hold it secure and high enough so as not to hit the skylite. This is what I came up with, I custom cut out of a piece of sound deadening plastic foam to make the cradle and glued it to the roof with Dicor caulking. The weight of the antenna helps hold it in place, nothing will rust, and no roof penetrations. See pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2019.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	181108   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1892.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	181109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1891.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	181110  

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
I don't know how well this might work inside the A/S: I put one of these on the second floor of my house & got great results at low cost. I may try one in the moh, but it is fiberglass, not pretty aluminium: Winegard FlatWave FL5000C Translucent Digital Flat Antenna - Available Exclusively at Costco!
I don't have an antenna for my Tradewind. Has anybody tried one of these mounted in a window inside your Airstream? If it works I like the weight, no penetrations, cost, etc.

Dan
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Good job Gloran. It doesn't always have to cost big $$$ to work.

Dave

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
A search of the Costco Website does not show the Winegard Flatwave TV antenna. Is this available only in warehouse locations?