Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Good Sam CSP

If any of you are thinking of buying the Good Sam Continued Service Plan, think again. Just put mine to the test as my A/C compressor locked up and had to be replaced (frozen clutch and locked bearings in the compressor) on '95 Landyacht. This is a commercial compressor and cost $553 to replace, add to that, dryer/evaporator (no warranty on compressor with out new one), shop labor, freon and we are up to about $900.00. Called the friendly people at CSP and they wont cover the compressor stating that only the clutch needed replaced (they weren't in the shop) and they would not cover the cost of new compressor and since the compressor wasn't being replaced, then I didn't need the dryer/evaporator either. Since I have a $500 deductable, they said I had no coverage. Seems that they will go to great lengths to keep the bill just under the deductable (and they have over$1000 of my money for the insurance). I then politely informed them that they could place their CSP in a specific orifice and I would tell as many rv'ers as possible to avoid this "service". So now you all have been warned!

gunworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Why not write the Good Sam magazine column that gets the money for people who have been wronged. This would be interesting to see what they would do.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
It’s insurance. What did you expect? If you rolled your trailer they would have happily repaired your ac and ignored the crumpled trailer body. Sounds like a rather normal insurance policy.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Having worked with these companies both in the auto and motorcycle repair industry I can tell you with out looking at you policy that your repairs most likely would be covered had you followed the procedure as stated in said policy. I might add you are not the first to do this so don't beat up on youself to bad. Here is how this should have been handled. I might add that if the repair facility had ever done busness with an extended warranty company they knew better.
Procedure as follows.---
number 1--call the warranty company BEFORE any one looks at it or at least before a wrench is on it. Tell them example, "my ac quit cooling and I'm at ABC repair facility. The folks here say it looks like the compressor is looked up and the clutch has come apart". "IS THIS A COVERED ITEM???" All of it? Part of it? Can I have this company proceed with a diagnoisis?? Most likely they would tel you to diagnois and call back with an estimate. The technicians could tell if the compressor is locked with minimal labor. At that point before ANY repairs proceed should they deny coverage I would insist they send an adjuster to look at it to conferm the need for a compressor. If you start a repair or have a repair facility take it apart to diagnois it, they WILL DENY Coverage!!!! I have never seen a policy that did not state that. What ever repairs are agreed upon should have a confermation or purchase order accompanying it, preferably with a faxed or E mailed copy.----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I agree with pieman...we had to play that game with an extended warranty on a Ford Exploder we used to own. I got real tired of that game, because we needed it fixed and fixed now, not the 3 weeks it ended up taking. Plus the cheaters only gave you so many days of rental car based on the orginal diagnosis, not how long it took to play the game. Needless to say we made sure we did not buy the next long term warranty from that company.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
The process you described is almost word for word what I attempted to do. The only difference is that they would not discuss repairs with me directly but only the repair shop. In the end I just got frustrated with the whole thing and canceled the policy. Initial contact was made one week prior to actual repairs beginning. After their refusal to cover the new compressor, I just went ahead and covered it myself. I learned a valuable lesson that will not soon be repeated.
gunworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Hi All,

Sorry about your bad experience, but I have to deal with these folks on a regular basis. I had one 'senior claims advisor' even tell me that a furnace didn't need a new control board when it wouldn't run, even though she as not there to see it and all of pieman's routines were followed (I know how the game is played). They only read from their computer screen and when you ask them technical questions about the repair, they will say it's not covered just to cover their a*s rather than say they don't know!! They also get very indignant when you ask for a supervisor or try to go over their heads.

In almost every instance that I have had to deal with secondary insurance companies, they have left the customers VERY dissatisfied with their coverage and about 50% of them cancelled their policies after their bad experiences.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Grove , Oklahoma
Thumbs down CSP coverage denied

Have had a similar problem with Good Sams CSP. I have a 1998 RV on a Ford Chassis. Recently had a failure of the top tank of the engine radiator. Took to a Ford garage who was familiar with contacting CSP. Was informed that the radiator was not covered, only the water pump, heater core and several other minor items. The advertisement for CSP indicates it covers major systems for parts and labor, a "no loopholes coverage". Now tell me, if the radiator is not a major system component what is?

I did contact Action Line of the Highways magazine explaining the situation. The followed up and CSP issued a check for the full amount over the deductable saying it was done for good will. I have since cancelled the coverage due to the fine print. If you really get into it only the parts that don't normally fail or are low cost (below the deductable) are coverd. It certainly isn't worth the annual cost of the policy.

Bill Miller
Miller74344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
CSP from Good Sam

They made the offer sound so good, I sent it in for a quote and was told they wouldn't cover my coach because it was over 10 years old.
Keep in mind that if they really paid for expensive repairs, the cost would be real high.
Our plan has always been to fix everything that we suspected BEFORE we
go on the road and pay for repairs as needed, no extended warranty. We've always heard more horror stories than success stories with any
aftermarket warrranty, Repairs are the price of a used coach.

"The Roadhouse" our Land Yachts name
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote