Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
good sam club? alternative?

hello, we're getting our first MH, 2000LY. what road service do you recommend/why? any caveats out there? thanks!
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I've got Good Sam emergency roadside assistance. Mainly because many RV insurance companies give Good Sam discounts on their insurance rates— my discount is over $400 per year— and if I had the Good Sam membership anyway, it seemed prudent to get the emergency roadside assistance, too.

Haven't needed to use the roadside assistance yet, so I can't say whether it's worth the money, though.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Had AAA for years but never used it for airstream. Switched to Good Sam because it was cheaper and I thought they would be better for airstream if we had a problem. Our car broke down 40 miles from home. Good Sam would not tow it home to local mechanic, only to nearest facility. To be fair, I understood that provision when I signed up with Good Sam. Very inconvenient though when something happens near home. Went back to AAA which has a 100 mile range. Added AAA RV insurance to AAA membership. Have heard that AAA RV roadside assistance quality will vary by location so only time will tell how that decision will play out.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Had AAA for years but never used it for airstream. Switched to Good Sam because it was cheaper and I thought they would be better for airstream if we had a problem. Our car broke down 40 miles from home. Good Sam would not tow it home to local mechanic, only to nearest facility. To be fair, I understood that provision when I signed up with Good Sam. Very inconvenient though when something happens near home. Went back to AAA which has a 100 mile range. Added AAA RV insurance to AAA membership. Have heard that AAA RV roadside assistance quality will vary by location so only time will tell how that decision will play out.
When I broke down on the way to Denver, they wanted to tow me to a gas station in the mountains instead of the dealer in Denver. I paid to have it towed to Denver and then contested the charge which they reviewed and reimbursed me.

Good Sam has changed their rules on this and will now tow to location of your choice within 100 miles.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Yep, I use Good Sam Road Side for piece of mind.
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Had AAA for years with the rv endorsement on it, never needed them until on our way home from North Carolina, my left rear tire went flat at Love's station in the Tehachapi mountains. The tow/repair truck showed up and the guy replaced the flat with the spare. All was good, until the guy said he was all done and held his hand out for a tip, he told me that it was a normal $100 tip for this service, after a little go around he left with $50 in his hand. Paid for service for years and then had to pay when help was needed. Came home and reported the tip issue to AAA and switched to Good Sam, we again have not had to use them yet and hope we never do need them.
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingers View Post
Had AAA for years with the rv endorsement on it, never needed them until on our way home from North Carolina, my left rear tire went flat at Love's station in the Tehachapi mountains. The tow/repair truck showed up and the guy replaced the flat with the spare. All was good, until the guy said he was all done and held his hand out for a tip, he told me that it was a normal $100 tip for this service, after a little go around he left with $50 in his hand. Paid for service for years and then had to pay when help was needed. Came home and reported the tip issue to AAA and switched to Good Sam, we again have not had to use them yet and hope we never do need them.
I'm pretty sure that could still happen with Good Sam - both companies work with local independent shops for the most part. (I think only in large cities does AAA have their own fleet of tow trucks and battery replacement trucks; otherwise they contract with local shops.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingers View Post
That guy had his (you know what) up your butt.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had AAA since our first RV in 2002.

Used it several times for that one, also for the car, never for the Interstate. We love AAA, not just the service but the many discounts you get at hotels, museums, etc.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Good Sam - for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
hello, we're getting our first MH, 2000LY. what road service do you recommend/why? any caveats out there? thanks!
I've had to use Good Sam for the motorhome twice...HIGHLY recommend them.

When you call to request services they ask the same questions in various ways to first determine that the driver and occupants are OK and no medical services are required.

They then determine what is to be towed and if any other vehicles are involved (tow vehicle, MoHo toad, etc.).

Then, and most importantly, they contact the closest tow company with the proper truck to tow your rig. This is important since tow requirments seem to always happen on the weekend and when you do not have a complete listing of towing companies in the area.

Don't rely to chance and have a 3/4 ton mini tow truck show up to service your whoppadoozie MoHo or one-ton behemoth towing a 34'er.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Don't rely to chance and have a 3/4 ton mini tow truck show up to service your whoppadoozie MoHo or one-ton behemoth towing a 34'er.
Good point! Check your motorhome's owner's manual for towing restrictions. If you need a flatbed tow, best to know that in advance, and ask for it up front.

In the case of my Interstate, it requires a flatbed tow, but the number of flatbed tow trucks that can handle a load that is 23 feet long and 9'8" tall is limited.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Three years ago my wife and I spent the better part of a day in an old Walmart parking lot South of Memphis waiting for Good Sam to send help. After calling back and learning somehow our original call had been deleted they finally sent a guy with a tire from West Memphis, Arkansas. We have had AAA on the cars for decades so we dropped Good Sams and added the RV endorsement to AAA. So far I have only used it once and AAA sent help quickly the problem fixed and we were on our way in less than two hours. Love AAA - Good Sams not so much.
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Thanks for the frank and open discussion.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
yes, we appreciate the info, and especially the kind way you express yourselves. i can see that rv people are a special breed! but we suspected this by how friendly other campers were to us, regardless of how long it took us to set up/break down the popup!
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote