Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Giant hole behind Marker Lights?

Another first time something has apparently been done...
The search function on this site is terrible; an although I have been using google to search for "topic - then appended with airforums, it also turned up nothing relevant.

In pulling my first front right marker light, I discovered 2 things. No screws holding it in - only goop. AND AS drilled a bigass hole behind the light to allow the recessed bulb fixture to fit into the fiberglass.

The 3rd thing I learned is that new LED lights are all now mostly flat, so they have no need of the bigass hole in the coach. They ALSO do not come with a gasket. I tried a local truck stop, Napa, CARQUEST, and cannot find ANY LED Marker lights with a rear gasket/seal/mounting rubber.

So other than using Eternabond tape UNDER the new fixture, with about a pound of Dicor per Marker light, any ideas how to seal the 1" hole behind each light?

This is at the leading edge of the coach, so going down the road at 65mph into a rainstorm does not make this a critical application, or anything...

I took this pic to wander into town yesterday to try and find a correct sozed Marker light. I'll post a pic of the hole later today.

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
These should be a direct replacement in LED.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Maxxima-Amber...dRp6ai&vxp=mtr

If you look, there should be other brands available.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Thanks.
I had not found that in my previous searches. That would indeed work.
But I was really looking for a surface mount LED light, WITH a gasket or some means to seal the 1" hole.

Think I'll make up some 2x4 oval stainless plates will match the LED shape), match the LED light holes, attach the LED to the plates, and then caulk the plates before securing to the motorhome. That'll do it. Just one more thing...

Actually , it's just 10 more things; 5 amber up front, and 5 red in the rear.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
email that seller on ebay, as I think I bought mine from him. They were LED and fit flat to the roof. I just used adaquate caulking behind them and have had no problems now for 8 years or so.
I can't find the post where I had the original information posted.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Home depot has in the plumbing section small sheets of rubber like gasket material in different sizes which can be cut with to any shape you need, also most auto parts stores sell gasket material.
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Los Gatos , California
TruckLite 2675 Red & 2675A Yellow are LED lights that are exact replacement for the incandescent marker lights on my 95 Land Yacht. They come with rear mount gasket. When I replaced my front incandescent markers two years ago, I used clear RTV sealant and so far no leaks. Bought through local NAPA Auto Parts, but they had to order, took two or three days. If I recall correctly, the guys in store did not find in their system right away, they had to do some looking. So, don’t give up easy on NAPA. Photos try to show the detail and rear structure. The large protrusion on rear of LED housing fit exactly into the large hole in fiberglas front cap on the Land Yacht. I used lots of sealant around that hole too.
Photos are of the spares I bought at same time for replacing rest of markers (soon).
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkerLite_A.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	261061   Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkerLite_B.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	261062  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkerLite_C.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	261063   Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkerLite_D.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	261064  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf MarkerLite_Catalog.pdf (186.6 KB, 50 views)
cruzaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Pago have you done yours yet? I'm thinking of ordering these

Compare
M10C-x2

Rectangle LED Truck and Trailer Lights - 3-3/4” LED Side Clearance Lights w/ 2 High Flux LEDs and Chrome Bezel - Pigtail Connector

Show Details
Available LED Colors

LED Quantity
2 LEDs

Connector Type
Pigtail

Mount Type
Surface

Dimensions: 9.525cm(3.75") x 5.715cm(2.25") x 1.854cm(0.73")

PC Rated
No

View all specifications

This 3-3/4” rectangle LED with chrome-plated plastic bezel meets DOT FMVSS 108 requirements for use as side lights and clearance lights. The light surface mounts—1-1/8” flush mounting hole required— and includes two 6” pigtail leads. Each light boasts 2 high-flux LEDs that operate within a wide 9-14.8V DC range and consumes 90% less energy than incandescent lamps. Sonically sealed polycarbonate lens and weatherproof housing. The truck/trailer lights are available in red and amber. Lifetime warranty on all truck/trailer lights. Dimensions: 3.77”(9.576cm) x 2.26”(5.741cm) x 0.63”(1.600cm
From a site called superbriteleds. Search led marker lights these & others come up. These were 8.00 ea
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Los Gatos , California
Garypk, I replaced the front top 5 about 2 years ago per my previous post with the led lights shown. No signs of leaks after two rainy seasons. They are exact fit for the existing mounting holes in body and look just like original. Plenty of sealant around the large rear protrusion even though it had gasket, just to be double sure. Then same sealant around outer sides before seating and screwing home.
Regards,
Cruzaire (Tim)
cruzaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
garypk,

Those look like a perfect fit.
I've not had much time to work on the RV in the last few weeks. Work has been killing me lately. Salary can sometimes suck.
Hope to take the weekend off and get some roof waterproofing done before our monsoon season hits - marker lights included.
I found some great flat, bright LEDs, and picked up the stainless backers today. I'll hopefully be able to post some pics this weekend.

Here's what I ended up with:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

13 LEDs, lifetime warranty, flat back, appears really well built. I've used a bunch of their stuff for motorcycles and have been happy with their quality so far.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Success! I did not have to go into work today...

Did one of the lower marker lights first, as its easier to get tools and drill holes whilst on the ground...

Here's the parts:

And the almost completed install:

Still have to finish wiring, as the AS +wire is corroded back at least 18". I always solder, but corroded wire is tough. Have to get some acid tomorrow to clean the wiring first.

The SS backer covers the Big A... sorry, the GIANT hole in the coach side for the original marker light, and I have the power wiring routed through a 3/8" hole in the SS with a grommet that lines up with the GIANT hole... I'll post a before and after "lites on" pic when I get er' done. The stainless backers are about 3/32" type 304, that I then had polished. I think it turned out great.