Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
Galley slideout

I just bought a 99 Airstream Land Yacht 355XL on a Ford Chassis. My Galley slideout quit working, and seems not to be getting electric power to the controller box under the slide. Airstream tech help was unable to help me find the fuse to it, which we suspect is the problem. The motor works and starts the slide moving if I directly connect the battery to the leads with a long wire. Has anyone had to locate the fuse before and can you help me find it? Also my right rear Power Gear jack is leaking slightly-can the seal in it be replaced? Are parts readily available?
tebreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
Sigh, I guess the fuse is well hidden. Anyway, further investigation shows power gets to a relay just beside the controller but not to the controller. A direct hookup from battery + to the "batt" terminal on the controller lets the slideout work. Anyone have any idea what this relay is for? It has 2 large wires (power) and 2 small wires to it. I kind of suspect some sort of safety mechanism to prevent opening the slideout while under way, but don't know what controls the relay.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If your switches are similar to the trailer setup, then the second switch is for the bat ears that swing out and contact the side panels as a lock when the slide is in. On my unit, if the "ears" aren't fully retracted then the circuit to the slide motor remains dead. I suspect the 'fuse' you are looking for does not exist and the issue is your locks.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
Hey, thanks. I will look.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Our slide will not work if the engine is running or the key is turned at any setting other than off. (Might be obvious to most, but it caught us by surprise one time.)
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
Interesting. I finally figured out that my galley slideout will not work unless the ignition key is turned on. The owners manual says this is true for the leveling jacks, so I finally decided to try this with the slideout, and it worked. The bedroom slide, however, does not require the ignition key to be on. I haven't yet tried the slideout with the engine running (the jacks won't work that way) or the transmission not in park or neutral (again the jacks require park or neutral) or with the parking brake off (again the jacks) but this makes me wonder if the slideout and jacks are somehow on the same circuit??? Sure would be nice if the owners manual would tell me some of this.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
That is interesting & the opposite of ours! Leveling jacks work with the engine running, transmission in park & the parking brake set/on. Then the engine is turned off & the slide can be operated.
Could you test if yours are on the same circuit by unplugging & turning off the battery switches one at a time? Our slide is connected to the house battery. The jacks to the chassis battery. Just a guess. Someone here must know.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote