Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Fuse Voltage Loss for Chassis

I think I may have caused a short somewhere when testing for live wire in my fuse box. After probing/testing a live wire dangling I heard a clicking noise. The next day when I was testing some fuse locations I noticed there wasn't 12v power in some of them. I tried to start the motorhome, 1995 LY Airstream 30', and the ignition buzzed but it didn't roll over. Is there a large fuse that powers the fuse box that I may have shorted? If so, any idea of where to look for it or where it's located? There is a new battery, alternator is fine, and there is some voltage in some fuses. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Tim Eagle
Dark Nest Travels

Dark Nest Travels : Blog (if you'd rather read our ramblings and history)
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Hi Tim,

On the gas models there are fuses inside the cabin and in the engine compartment. If you do not have the service/owners manuals for the model, go to the Airstream Corporate web site and they have files you can download and print if needed.

Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Thanks, Mike. I know the fuse box imside cabin, that's where there is only partial power, I'm assumimg I grounded out a main fuse that powers that box. I guess I have to open the doghouse. I'll snoop around and see what I find before reaching out to the web site or my mechanic, lol. Thanks so much for the information. I'm glad we're not fully part timing, yet, and have until the end of July before the Mothership's second journey. I appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Tim Eagle
Dark Nest Travels

Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's rare for a DC fuse box to have multiple feed fuses. Normally if you hit the main bus, the whole box goes dead. Having some, but not circuits open is more likely caused by multiple fuses blowing.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Bob,

There don't seem to be full power to the main fuse box. I'll double check. So there is a main Bus fuse that I could have grounded out in my ignorance?

Sincerely,

Tim Eagle
Dark Nest Travels

Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi
(
If there is no power at all to the fuse box ( = all fuses are dead ) the next thing to do is check the input lug with your multimeter. ( if you don't have one, spend $20 and get one ) . Assuming the feed is dead, then it's a matter of working out where that feed line goes. It's got to get to the battery somehow. It is common in the newer layouts to have a breaker (rather than a fuse) between the battery and the rest of the world. Assuming they followed that approach on your MH, there is a feed fuse. I'd bet it's close to the battery in question.

Bob
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Thanks, Bob. I'm going to surely post my updates when I stop procrastinating and get out there.

Sincerely,

Tim Eagle
Dark Nest Travels

Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Resolution leads to another question. I journeyed out to the Airstream and turned the key. It didn't roll over. It was a battery discharge situation. I charged it and it fired up!

Now my question is, since the battery is new and has been sitting for a couple months, how did it drain? I have had the MoHo plugged in. I did have the battery switch inside turned "off" while plugged in. Would this drain the battery? I also noticed a breaker with a fuse that was off in my breaker box. This might have been what reset when I tested those dangling wires?

So to avoid this in the future should I keep the battery position to "On" when plugged in? Maybe when the breaker with the small yellow fuse on it popped it forced my battery to be used by a 12 volt source somewhere, draining it. Please advise if I haven't confused everyone. Thanks so much, Bob and Mike.

Sincerely,

Tim Eagle
Dark Nest Travels

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One very simple answer - pull the batteries if storage will be in the "couple of months" range. A pickup truck can go battery dead in a few months. If you are leaving them in, put a trickle charger on each set of batteries. Yes, there are a bunch of other ways to go. To a great extent they revolve around knowing exactly what has been done to the RV and being sure that ever system is running properly.

Bob
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
Tim Eagle

Sandusky , Michigan
Gotcha...thanks, again for the answers, Bob. The best thing is that it was a zero dollar fix. I love those fixes!

Tim Eagle

Dark Nest Travels