Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
RANCHO CORDOVA , California
Angry Fuel pump access '96 Land Yacht 33ft

I have a fuel pump problem. Has anyone ever cut a hole in the floor to access the pump. Seems that would be easier than dropping an 80 gal tank. My Revcon had a access plate in the floor.
zagos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
Smile Fuel pump change.

Well I did it. I replaced the fuel pump without removing an 80 gallon tank with 50 gallons on fuel. After some accurate measurements we determined the fuel tank access was under the floor 15 inches in front of the bed in the center of the isle. We cut a 6" square hole through the floor and there was the access plate. The fuel gauge sender unit and fuel pump came up through the floor with ease. CAUTION if you try this, use brass tools to open the tank and close it again. NO Power tools. Even with the hole open there was no weakness in the floor.
Airstream made a good 2" floor. After replacing the pump plugging the hole I put a aluminum plate over the hole. I made 2 cuts in the carpet back in the bedroom so you cannot seen any cut in the carpet from the galley area of the coach. The old pump had an overheated brush spring so only one brush was making good contact inside the pump. Remember if you try this BE CAREFUL You are working with gasoline and no sparks. Brass or wood tools
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Do you have fotos? The 15" is this measured to center of cutout?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
Do you have fotos? The 15" is this measured to center of cutout?

Steve
Did it on our MH, measured, measured again, drilled 1 inch hole to triple check location and clearance of wires, cut hole and made it accessible for future reference. Year later I needed to check fuel gauge wiring and used it. We can roll the carpet back from the doorway, cut the padding, then drill the floor, multi tool or shallow depth jigsaw will do to make a trapdoor.
Dave
Will look for pictures, but if you use the handle of door to electric panel area and drill about 6 inches toward front of MH you will have the right location.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks Dave.
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
posted picture on gallery

Accessdoor - Photo Gallery

forgot to mention, you will be going thru, press board, insulation(foam), thin sheet metal, make sure you make hole big enough for hand to get in with tools and flashlight, when finished the hole reduces in size when you put in 4 edges of 1x2 for lip to hold access door. You can see the hole drill made that I glued in as a plug.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
Fuel pump access 96 Airstream 33 Ft

I have 4 photos of my cut-out in the floor. I don't have the computer know how to post them. Any help would be appreciated and I will post them. My pump location is different then the pictures just posted. Jim