Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Fuel leak

I recently went o fuel my 2005 airstream 33' land yacht motorhome, and while i was fueling, i was leaking fuel from underneath. I was unable to continue to fuel due to this leak. Upon examination, I thought that it may have been due to the recent cold weather that we have experienced in South Florida, and that the fuel hose had separated from the metal tubing. I tightened the hose clamps, and added another one, and went to put fuel in from a 5 gallon can, and I am still leaking fuel. I must have a rupture in the hose between the fuel door entry point, and the metal piping under the coach. I cannot access the areas where the hose would be without cutting open compartments. I have removed the fuel door completely, and am unable to access the hose, as the fuel entry has a pipe which feeds downward to where the line meets up with the hose. Has anyone had a rupture in the fuel hose in this area? I have concerns about doing this repair myself at this point in time, and I have gotten no response from the rv mechanic I have used previously for other minor repairs. I need a qualified airstream mechanic in south florida, or some helpful hints to get this fixed. thanks, norm pearson

normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Sound like a fuel pump leak.Replace the pump.Mine leaked before the pump broke.

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Fuel Leak

You said "a rupture in the hose between the fuel door entry point, and the metal piping under the coach"
I assume you men before it goes into the gas tank. While mine is diesel, not gas, it's not the same. However, my fuel filler in on the left side of the coach and that filler tube is accessable by removing the couch and the lower interior wall panel on the left.
Paul - in St Petersburg.
"The Roadhouse" our Land Yachts name
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
pembroke pines , Florida
the fuel entry point is on the streetside, and above my dump station port. the area of the hose is behind sheet metal which essestially protects the fuel hose. I just have concerns about removing the rivets, and possibly having to cut the sheet metal to access the hose. i don't want to mess the esthetics of the original equiptment that is behind the door to access the panel.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
pembroke pines , Florida
fuel leak resolved

after many bruised and torn knuckles, i have repaired this fuel hose myself. the repair entailed removing some sheet metal from the access area to where the fuel hose ran, and also getting underneath the coach to access the other end of the hose. there was only about 6" of room behind the sheet metal to work the hose on and off from the fill port. It took alot of pushing, prodding and pulling, but it finally came off. under the coach was difficult, but not as difficult as the area behind the sheet metal. the original hose was deteriorating and in the curved area to come out of the protective box that held most of the hose, it was leaking. the hose is designed not to leak, but with the stress that was put on the hose, it was not surprising that there were hairline cracks which leaked fuel. i spent at least 10-12 hours removing and re-installing the new hose (after 2 trips to parts store). it was frustrating, difficult work for someone who is not a mechanic. the bright side is that i could not find a mechanic to repair it, and i saved a small fortune doing it myself. i have fueled up the coach and there were no leaks upon fueling. i repaired the sheet metal area, and re-installed the hatch light to a satisfactory level. all in all, i am fairly pleased with myself that i was able to get this done. there was nothing that i could find in this site that would help me to repair it. so i guess that any other land yacht coach owners that have this problem can now refer to my posts to get their repair done. thanks to those who did reply and try to help me.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Norm, congratulations on your DIY project. Did you by any chance think to take photos of the process? If so it would make a great addition to this happy ending story.
As you are the first to do this tough job a little more detail may help others who have the unfortunate distinction of having this happen to them.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
Besides bruised and torn knuckles, I always find myself muttering words that never existed before while in the process of repairing the unknown, especially in cramped quarters. Sure is a good feeling when job is completed.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Good Job, You probably saved $1,000 Labor charge and look what all you learned

John H. is offline   Reply With Quote