Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Front wheel bearings

In getting new front tires yesterday, I was bugging the tire guys. Wanted to check for wheel motion with the front end lifted off the ground. I have always done this; good training in my formative years; although my wife calls it something different....

Anyhow, right side fine; no play.
Left (drivers) side... DANG. I got about 3/16" of play between (it looks like ) bearing and spindle. Crawled underneath and had the tire guy move the wheel. Ball joints/A-arms have no movement; so I am guessing the bearings are gone. Sigh: another project added to the list. Might explain some of the wandering going down the freeway...

So. Did a search, and no threads on replacing these. Looking at the P32 Chassis Manual I just got from ebay , it looks like a standard automotive type assemble. Inner race pressed onto the spindle, bearing, outer race pressed into the hub, outer bearing.

If anybody has ever changed these, any tricks? I am assuming (per usual) a cold chisel can deal with the inner race, and a long punch can dispatch with the race pressed into the hub.

I stopped by a RV Repair place in Tucson before I headed home yesterday. They are booked solid for 2 weeks; and their shop rate is $100/hour.

This is not complicated work. The biggest problem for me is getting the Coach off the dirt (yea, dirt...) far enough to get the wheel off. I picked up 100' of air hose yesterday so I can reach the area where the coach is parked with my air impact wrench. Can't move the air compressor, and can't get the Coach up the hill closer to the house. Also picked up some heavy duty 12"x12" jack pads from Camping World to give the levelling jacks a higher place to start and distribute the load of the jackstands to the dirt.

Figured to lift the front end with the levelling jacks (rear is chocked) just far enough to get jackstands under it, pull the wheel, then go on about the bearing project.

Did some searches on google on THIS topic (levelling stands for jacking), and my take-away is that a) not recommended due to liability, and b) lots of folks seem to do it.

Any recommendations before I dive in???

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Used levelers to lift and put jack stands and 4x4 lumber stacks, loosen wheel lugs before you jack, mine needed a very long handle to get them loose. I didn't need to replace bearing but they sure needed grease. Took longer to make sure it was safe than the job, I'm on gravel over sand and jack pads put a 1 inch depression at the rear even with 2x12x15 pads, not as noticeable at the front.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't have much productive to add at all, but I did live in Benson as a child....

Talis gentium ceciderunt.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote