Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
I too would like to replace the analog CRT TV in the dash of my Land Yacht with a digital flatscreen, the R&R would be the easy part. What i need to know is this; when i turn the ignition key on the tv becomes a rear view monitor, how would i connect the new tv without losing this function? anyone deal with this situation yet? Thanks, Mark

Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
MrFixit,
First of all, you would need 120 v ac running to the tv. I don't think I've ever seen a tv the size of one that would fill up the space there that runs on 12v dc. Usually, they are smaller.

That would mean you would have to run your generator when backing up or have an awfully long extension cord. Otherwise, all you would have to do is plug the back-up camera into a different input than the antenna/cable input, turn on the tv and access the correct input when backing up. I'm sure it could be done. Cool idea.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
padillab, First of all, the existing factory installed tv IS 120 v ac powered by a factory installed inverter. 2nd, the the input automatically switches to the rear view camera when the ignition is switched on since it is illegal in most places to have a functional television in view of the driver.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixit View Post
padillab, First of all, the existing factory installed tv IS 120 v ac powered by a factory installed inverter. 2nd, the the input automatically switches to the rear view camera when the ignition is switched on since it is illegal in most places to have a functional television in view of the driver.
Well, it's good that you have 120v already there. That solves that problem. Not sure how to get the tv to automatically switch on. Does your owner's manual have any wiring diagrams to look at? I'll check mine and see if I can find anything.
Michigan
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
So... What is stopping the new TV from working exactly as the old CRT one did?

If all connections are the same, shouldn't it be a direct replacement both physically and functionally? If you use the same connections, you should get the same results.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Most tv's, when ths power is turned off, default to a situation where you have to press a button on the tv or remote in order to turn the unit back on. So I think that you would have to bypass this function on whatever you install.

BTW, I did take a quick look at my owners manual for the back up monitor and found that it runs on 12 volts (at least mine does). Not sure how you would integrate the 12v and 120v systems.

Let's keep this going, we'll figure it out.
Michigan
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab View Post
Most tv's, when ths power is turned off, default to a situation where you have to press a button on the tv or remote in order to turn the unit back on. So I think that you would have to bypass this function on whatever you install.

BTW, I did take a quick look at my owners manual for the back up monitor and found that it runs on 12 volts (at least mine does). Not sure how you would integrate the 12v and 120v systems.

Let's keep this going, we'll figure it out.
Aha, good point, Bob: the OP may have to try the line-in type connection on the TV, many of those will "remember" how they are set.

Failing that I see two options:
  1. if the poster wants to have the unit be a television, the most simple solution might be to simply turn on the TV by its remote and tune in ch 03 (or line in, or whatever).
  2. OR, (and this is what I might do, to avoid any potential police questions about having a TV up front) buy a computer monitor for this purpose, and have the signal wiring adapted to the level need to drive composite inputs on the computer.
If the original wiring was designed to go into an RF input (such as a TV tuner), it shouldn't be difficult or complicated to adapt.

The computer monitor's power switch could be bypassed and put into always on, thus allowing the original system to trigger it. Or, the monitor could merely be turned on when the vehicle is started, and left on. A monitor, with no signal, will only show a dark screen.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
I too would like to replace the analog CRT TV in the dash of my Land Yacht with a digital flatscreen, the R&R would be the easy part. What i need to know is this; when i turn the ignition key on the tv becomes a rear view monitor, how would i connect the new tv without losing this function? anyone deal with this situation yet? Thanks, Mark
Somehow, you would have to use the 12v wire that powers the old backup 6" CRT monitor to acitivate an electronic switch that would allow 120v electricity to turn on the new flatscreen. (As mentioned previously, you would also have to bypass the on-off switch of the new flatscreen.)

Also, the camera attached to the rear of the MH would have to be plugged into the new flatscreen tv. Next, the new tv would have to have the correct input selected so that the camera view would be displayed.

Finally, If your were parked and just wanted to watch tv on the new flatscreen, then you would need another separate switch in order to turn on your new tv. This sounds kind of messy, because then you would need some sort of transfer switch like that used with your generator so that you won't fry any of your other electronics. (This is getting very complicated.)

One thing I don't understand is where does the 120v electricity for the new flatscreen come from? I have two ac flatscreens in my MH and neither of them will turn on unless I am hooked up to shore power or have the generator running. In an earlier post, it was mentioned that there is an inverter that supplies 120v to the old CRT tv. I am not sure this is true.

If the MH electrical system cannot turn 12v dc into 120v ac to supply the new flatscreen, then all of this exercise is for naught.
Michigan
Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab View Post
One thing I don't understand is where does the 120v electricity for the new flatscreen come from? I have two ac flatscreens in my MH and neither of them will turn on unless I am hooked up to shore power or have the generator running. In an earlier post, it was mentioned that there is an inverter that supplies 120v to the old CRT tv. I am not sure this is true.

If the MH electrical system cannot turn 12v dc into 120v ac to supply the new flatscreen, then all of this exercise is for naught.
Post #31, padillab; he told you directly that he has an inverter in the rig. Why would he lie about that?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Post #31, padillab; he told you directly that he has an inverter in the rig. Why would he lie about that?
I didn't mean to come on so strong. Sorry for any hurt feelings. Just nosing around for clarification. I'm no expert on inverters. If you're using 12v dc through an inverter to power a 120v ac tv, how much strain does that put on either the house batteries or the alternator? And, more importantly, can the old CRT tv in the Mr Fixit's MH be turned on when not on shore or generator power? If not, then that's another problem to be solved - how to get power to the new flatscreen while driving.
Michigan
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
200 LY TV Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
My was TV held in by screws and plastic surround, screws covered with plastic buttons, easy to see front ones but the side two had 3 inch screws with different covers so may have been added by someone else.

My relay is above the motor under the doghouse left side of firewall just to the right of drivers gas pedal foot, but for the fans high speed someone fixed by adding a 30 fuse and wire in front of the radiator.

Will be on the road for the rest of the month testing all my fixes and modification or should I say improvements

Dave
I am in the process of replacing the tube TV in the front. I see that DaveFL has a similar rig as mine and would like to hear from him and any tips on his refit.

Steve
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Hi Steve,
If I was to do it again I would, but with some of the new sets at 20 inches and 12v instead of a 110v 22 inch, I don't think the extra two inches makes up for the extra inverter I put in to be able to use the set without running the generator or be plugged in. Also added after the first trip a velcro holddown strap across the front to keep it in place, haven't found a satifactory catch for the swing arm, bungees didn't do it. It gives access to the space behind, have used it a couple of times for A/C improvement and the wires behind the dashboard.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Hi Dave

In my rig I put a 20" in the back on a swing arm which sits in the original box and mounted on two 10" shelf brackets attached to a 1/2" plywood piece to which the swing arm is attached. When in motion, I secured the TV with a flat bungee cord which is about an inch across and two eye bolts. This is a heavy duty type. This worked well on our trip last year. Still need to do some wiring work to use the existing coach speakers and the headphone thing adapter as the wiring is mono only and would be nice to have stereo. I will upload a couple of photos later. I will contact you from is.chowa@gmail.

Regards

Steve
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #42
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
CRT replaced with Flat Screen

We replaced the old CRT TV with a Flat Screen. Here is a brief description.

When you remove the old style CRT TV there is quite a bit of space in the hole it was in. I built some shelves to hold the satellite receiver, the Xbox and the DVD player/recorder.

They now set in the bottom of the hole left by the old TV. I was going to make a bracket device so the new flat screen TV could be lowered over this equipment when we where under way, but it turned out that it was not necessary. The new TV is not in the way just permanently mounted above the other equipment. There is strong metal structure just above the hole the old TV was in that holds the new flat screen very securely even on those roads in Oklahoma City.

I will try to help with any questions you may have.

Tags
rear view tv, motorhome, replace