Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
1995 Land Yacht TV replacement and blower fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porourke View Post
Well Everybody I got the shroud that holds the tv in off but to get it all the way off and let it hang by the cable that feeds the switches on the left hand side I had to remove 4 screws out of 8 that hold the instrument panel part of the dash out so I could lift the right side of the panel up just enough to get the tab part of the tv shroud out from underneath it. Had to do the same thing to the glove...

To make a long story short I still need help in getting to the blower and relays!
Do I have to remove the left side of the dash to get to it?
I thought I'd share my experience in the TV area of the dash board. First I am wondering what chassis your coach is built on. The reason I ask is that ours is on a Ford chassis and the fan is not in the dash area but in front of the firewall and accessible through the front hatch where the radiator and starting battery live. In other words we don't have to remove anything from the inside of the coach to access the fan motor.

We replaced the CRT (Tube) type TV with a Sony 24" flat screen. I built some shelves that fit in the space where the old TV lived and the shelves hold our Satellite receiver, DVD recorder-player and the Xbox. I hope I am attaching a picture.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Ours is on a Chevy p30 chasie. I dont intend to redo our tv setup. We never use the one thats there. What I am trying to find out from any of the menbers that might know Is on my 1993 Land Yacht MH is were the high speed fan relay for the dash AC is located and what do I have to do to acess it.

Thanks - Pat

PS. Your mod looks good! I saved it to the HD so We could blow it up and take a closer look.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Flat screen TV

I have a 1996 Land Yacht. Made the conversion from the old tube type to a new flat screen.

First try and figure what and where any bolts and screws that are holding the TV in place. I was able to find all except one. The TV wigged but wouldn't come out. Finally I decided to just pry it apart since I was not going to keep the old set any way. Turned out to be a bolt through the chassis that had its head covered by insulating material (typical Air Stream construction).

Then the fun part, shopping for one that would fit. This turned out to be one of the "lucky" projects! Found one that fit like a glove and was a 20 inch. Shopped Ebay fo new audio and S video cables and ran them because I like an excellent picture.

Fabricated two small brackets to hold the TV in the original hole.

Picture enclosed. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	83648  
Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #18

1995 34' Land Yacht LE
La Mesa , California
Pacer: Nice work. I have a 95 and want to do the same. Is that a 110V TV? Do you know the model number?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #19
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
On my '95 the TV is a Sony Model No. KVL S23A10, it's a 2005, so probably not on the market any more.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Front TV

Dave,

It's a Phillips 20PF5120/28. It will run off AC or DC but be careful when purchasing a DC TV. Make sure that it will run off 12 VDC. Most require somewhat more voltage. This Phillips requires 16 VDC.

I use the AC converter either on AC when available or via the inverter when dry camping. The TV and satallite receiver will work for around 4 hours on fully charged house batteries.

Doubt if you can get this same model as it was discontinued. No digital tuner. I use mine with Dish Network and their receiver provides digital input so no problem.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by porourke View Post
Ours is on a Chevy p30 chasie. I dont intend to redo our tv setup. We never use the one thats there. What I am trying to find out from any of the menbers that might know Is on my 1993 Land Yacht MH is were the high speed fan relay for the dash AC is located and what do I have to do to acess it.

Thanks - Pat

PS. Your mod looks good! I saved it to the HD so We could blow it up and take a closer look.

Well its been a good while and its working OK! The Hi Seed fan relay is behind the drivers side dash be hind the instrument panel. I am almost 70 years old. Too old to stand on my head to get to it so I disconnected the Battery and pulled the dash panel off. The relay was there hanging by the wire harness it was plugged into. Removed it and pried the cap off of it and the Normally open ones contacts, the ones that feed the motor in hi speed were cooked. replaced it and left the cover off so I could see how much arc I got when I turned it off or changed speeds and it was a bunch! This was the third time I have had this same problem since we have had it but had other people work on it because I didn't have time. The arcing is coming from the back- emf spike the motor generates when you try to break the contacts feeding it. To eliminate it I put a 1n4007 diode hooked up backwards across the motor leads right at the motor. Now when you open the contacts and the field on the motor starts to collapse the voltage polarity on the motor leads reverses, the diode conducts and shorts the arc out to ground. No arcing on the contacts this way. I also lengthened the wires and moved the relay and the speed resistor block out from behind the dash and mounted everything on the metal partition just to the left of the TV. Easy to get to ___

Not trying to toot my horn just hope this will might keep someone from going through what I had to!

Thanks A Bunch -
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Steve (spat61) asked how I converted my old CRT (Tube) TV to a flat screen. Here is a brief description.
When you remove the old style CRT TV there is quite a bit of space in the hole it was in. I built some shelves to hold the satellite receiver, the Xbox and the DVD player/recorder.
I am attaching some pictures, I hope.
They now set in the bottom of the hole left by the old TV. I was going to make a bracket device so the new flat screen TV could be lowered over this equipment when we where under way, but it turned out that it was not necessary. The new TV is not in the way just permanently mounted above the other equipment. There is strong metal structure just above the hole the old TV was in that holds the new flat screen very securely even on those roads in Oklahoma City.

I am including a wiring schematic that you may find helpful.
I will try to help with any questions you may have.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
OK _ I wanted to replace the front TV for a while now
Last year took it apart could not fiquire out how to remove the tv.
Then this christmas I bought a 26 in tv with the WiFi card installed in it
I mounted it up high, by the three glass flip up doors - I removed the middle glass door and made an oak door that swung to the left and mounted the tv betweeen the existing glass doors. Went to FLA liked the tv.
Came home and tried to remove the old tv, there where 4 screws in the front however that was to secure the brackets to the frame, I had to remove the brackets in order to remove the tv thru the opening,-- well after 3 hours I just got out the saw zaw and in 5 mins the tv was out, no damage to the frame the old tv was scratched a bit - I didnt mind whats a 10 year old sony worth ???
any way so nowI have a cavity to fill - Ideas ? Wine cooler? little fridge ? cabinet ?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
See attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00011-20110105-1857.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	121227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00002-20110105-1644.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	121228  

Name:	IMG00003-20110105-1645.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	121229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010-20110105-1857.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	121230  

Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
more pic's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00007-20110105-1649.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	121232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00008-20110105-1649.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	121233  

Name:	IMG00006-20110105-1645.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	121234  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
last one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00009-20110105-1649.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	121235  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Alexandria , Virginia
Dash TV Project - '92 LY 36" TAG

Have finished a box that I made from scrap that will fit into dash TV space. Decided not to put a TV there because I have mounted a new, very lightweight, thin 24" one on the back of the table between the two barrel chairs. In addition, I scrapped the rear TV and mounted a bracket to the bottom of the enclosure to which I attached a 20" LCD/DVD combo unit that fits flush against the enclosure, with two bungees for travel. The new box in the dash is roughly a foot square and will house a number of things: a 7" GPS, a new CB (the old one is shot) and maybe another component or two, plus storage, and provide quick access to the inside of the dash for repair work. I would like to modify the electrics that went to the old AC/DC TV so that it works when the key is "on", and so I could use it for other stuff, but I haven't yet figured out how to do it - suggestions will be appreciated!! D&D
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
I like the Idea of storage and also running DC power to the area, For cell phones, GPS etc..
As to your question, I would think the power inverter that powered your odd TV was tied into some type of relay that when the Ignition is on it told the relay to kill the power to the inverter. I would think you could elimiate this relay.
Just thinking out loud - I am usually wrong in these things

Tags
rear view tv, motorhome, replace