Franklin NC , North Carolina
In February we're headed to FLOIRDA.

"The Roadhouse" our Land Yachts name
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We do this all the time, here are a few things that have helped us.

1. Heated water hose
2. Set furnace to at least 54F. In our airstream the furnace dumps hot air to the storage tanks to keep them liquid
3. Get an electric dehumidifier. We have an Eva-dry was about $50 I think
4. Good down blankets for when hanging out, we got the Eddie Bauer ones, big enough to curl up under.
5. Get a good comforter. Some people even go for a heated blanket...

We survive just fine for 3 nights with nighttime lows around 20 and day highs around 32.

Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #17
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Micro fleece for your body, and something warm for your feet, also makes a tremendous difference,

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Water system

[IMG]http://You are invited to view this photo album:

This album is shared from the Android app "Shared Picasa Album Viewer", which is also recommended for viewing this album. Check it out from:[/IMG]
What is all this?
kdullea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Albuquerque , New Mexico

Water system pic. I guess they are all drain valves?
kdullea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Great Falls , Montana
Everyone has a winter story so here is my in a 97 LY diesel pusher. I got a job transfer to Montana in October so lived in the Airstream for about 6 weeks till I found a house in Great Falls.

First is to understand where your water and holding tanks are located. On gas models the fresh water tank is usually under the bed. On diesel models is outside midway between the frame rails behind the diesel tank. Both holding tanks are behind that closer to the area under the stove and toilet. The furnace heats both holding tanks so always make sure it functions properly, especially at night. Its very noticeable because the bath floor will be warm to the touch.

Due to issues with water hoses on city water lines freezing, I decided to keep my water tank full and use onboard pump. Problem I had first occurred over Thanksgiving weekend when the temps dropped below 0. Morning after found my freshwater tank had frozen and nothing but a drop coming out of faucets. Used bottle water for drinking cooking and filled some liter bottles at the laundry to use in toilet when flushing. Took about 3 days for it to thaw out but everything went back to normal once temps got up to 40. No internal damages. With temps that cold, make sure to keep cabinet doors under sinks open so warm air circulates. Both my roof units have electric heat so in daytime would switch to them and save the propane. Had I stayed on the Airstream through winter it would have helped to enclose the exterior base with insulation board and put a light into the sewer compartment to keep drain handles from freezing.

Winter living in any RV up north can be an experience. Live and can be fun but expensive too!!

Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote