Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Excessive heat through firewall?

When we test drove our 96 LY30 gas, it was a pleasant 65-70F winter day in Phoenix. Drove it 15-20 miles down the freeway, and while it got a little warm inside, it was not a problem.

Flash forward 6 months (where we have replaced a lot of running gear, suspension, roofing, etc), and it is now 100-105F outside. We just (today), replaced most of the dash air system (which is putting out maybe 70F air, but that's another story), and driving down the freeway I am cooking from heat from the dash area. At 70F the dash air is useless. The H-Valve for the engine heat to the heater coil is closed.

The steering column near the floor must be 120F; not too hot to touch, but plenty uncomfortable. Holding my hand at various places below the dash, there are 3-4 subtle airstreams from the firewall area (with ratty sections of carpet covering various objects), and from the TV screen area, heat is just radiating out. I pulled the TV to replace with a sub-woofer and stereo awhile ago, but right now it is just a hole.

There is maybe 1/2" of foam with foil facing on the vertical surface behind the TV hole, but the horizontal platform above the vertical that extends from one side to the other is just bare steel, as is the vertical surface the AC evaporator is mounted on. It's like one big radiation oven...

We have a x-country trip coming up real soon (like, days) , that has been a bit delayed due to the MoHome being in the shop a couple weeks for dash AC, alignment, and brake bleeding.

Unless we delay this again to the dead of winter, we are going to have to keep our t-shirts wet to gain some cooling effect due to evaporation. Don't laugh, this actually works great on a motorcycle... not so sure about the leather seats in the Landyacht...

Anybody solved this? Did a search, and found nuttin. But unless there is a relatively easy fix for this, I am not looking forward to spending 8 hours/day of this from Tucson to Maine...at least until temps drop below 70. Or 60. Or 50.

Dang it. I had an edit, did it, the "Captcha" thing came up, I checked "I am not a robot", and I was taken back to a blank screen. Refresh. blank. refresh. blank. refresh. blank. Back. Back. back. Back, and I am at my original post, all edits gone. Without others taking umbrage at my complaining,,, seriously, is there any way to fix this?
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I had a similar problem but it was not engine heat, it was outside air coming in under the dash on the left side. In summer I was cooking.....in Montana last October my left foot was frozen. Neither heat or AC could keep up. I start sealing up every hole and crack I could find on front end then noticed a wide gab between the fiberglass body and metal frame. Stuffed some regular pink ceiling insulation into it and the outside air problem stopped. AC improved too.

Now...that's with a rear pusher. Years ago my Dad had a Southwind Class A that was a sauna going down the road in Florida. We opened up the engine compartment and used a combo of spray foam and the flex metal insulation found in high heat compartments. After a weekend of sealing everything, it worked.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote