Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
Erratic Speedometer

I have a 1995 Airstream Land Yacht LE thirty. My speedometer moves while applying gas in neutral. My oil gauge and voltage gauge give inaccurate readings as well. I think it is a bad ground, but dont know where to begin looking.

Another bit of information- I took off the dash cover for the TV to check the dc plug on the right side of the tv. It was not working. It turns out that the white wire from the plug was disconneced. I assume that is the ground for the plug, but am unsure. I plan on replacing the TV and want to repair that as well when I change out the tv. Any help would be appreciated!!
mcm9970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
It was a bad alternator diode that only would fail if the dash A/C was on. When the air was on, the alternator would not charge the battery and would eventually die. Since we had dash issues, we did not see a drop in volatage on the dash. We figured that out about halfway into a 1000 mile trip. We replaced the alternator and everything is working properly now. This was our first trip, so hopefully we worked out all of the bugs.
mcm9970 is offline   Reply With Quote