Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to CapnTom
Electric Window Issue

I have a 2004 Land Yacht Motor Home 30' SO...the drivers door electric window is not working. I checked the fuse and its good. Previously the window would stick after the unit would sit for awhile...all I had to do is kinda push the window down while holding the down button and it would start to work ok for a while...I guess I should have lubed the track to keep it from sticking but I always forgot. Now...the motor doesn't work when I push the switch up or down. Any suggestions? I started to take the interior door panel off to get inside and see what's going on in there but...underneath the panel is the metal door skin with only a hole for the wires to go through so there's nothing to see there unless I remove the interior door skin...hoping I won't have to do that so any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

CapnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Power window

Tom,
I don't know if this will help, but read this and give it a try.
Electric window motors have a tendency to get stuck in automobiles because the button has been held in up or down position after the glass has reached it's destination. This causes a flat or non responsive spot in the motor windings.
Try This: With your finger on the button in the opposite direction of where the window is; SLAM the door. If it resumes normal operation, it's the same as a car and the flat spot has moved.
Worth a try at no cost

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Although not familiar with motorhomes I've worked on many automotive power windows, often the switch itself can go bad, do all the other windows work from the master switch ? If not then the switch or power feed is a likely suspect. If all other windows work, still suspect the switch as the drivers window and switch are generally most often used. You can find a wiring diagram and attempt to bypass the switch for the final diagnosis, just short the correct wires on the backside of the switch and see if the motor operates, if the motor does work then the switch is probably bad and should be replaced or if you're really broke/bold you can carefully dis-assemble the switch and clean the contacts of the switch just beware springs and copper tabs will probably spit out and require much work to get all back in place. The true way to confirm a bad motor would be to apply power to the motor from an independent 12v source like a battery and confirm the motor is shot, polarity is not important, it just affects the direction the motor turns. Last, generally you should be able to access the motor after removing the interior door panel although I have run into some saturns that require removal of the OUTER door skin to access the window mechanisms.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, like the above poster, I have made a living fixing electrical parts on cars. As for power windows, I would first try the window switch while looking at a dome light. If the dome light gets slightly dimmer when you push on the switch, it is most likely a bad motor. If the light only dims in one direction, you have a bad switch. A bad motor will sometimes work if hit with a hammer, but this doesn't fix it, it will still most likely need to be replaced. If you can hear the motor running, but the window doesn't move, it could be stripped gears. If the window regulator looks like an "X" try to get the window all the way in the up position and remove the motor in the door. If you remove the regulator with the motor attached and try to remove the motor from the regulator you can get badly hurt. There is a strong spring that will make this regulator snap like a pair of scissors. This happens when you remove the motor from the regulator. If your window regulator has a tape or cable drive, in most cases, you have to replace the whole thing as a unit. GOOD LUCK.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would use a battery charger for the 12 volt power source to check the system. If there is a problem with the wiring, you could smoke a lot of stuff by using a battery as a power source. And as we all know: When you let the smoke out. Electrical stuff doesn't work any more.