Old 05-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Drivers wheel well air panel removal

I have seen a post of someone painting one of these (driver side engine are deflector) but cannot find it.

In doing some front end work, it appears the PO shredded a front tire, or ???. The damage bent up the engine air deflector panel under the driver door. This panel has 2 bolts to the structure forward, 2 bolts visible when is bolts to the frame aft... and maybe at least 1 or 2 bolts up into the floorboard near the drivers foot area.

Here is the driver foot area:

Unfortunately, I cannot find them from below. So thinking they might have been installed from the top, I pulled the driver foot area carpet.

Did not find any bolts, but I did find a hole between the chassis and the coach almost big enough to pass an un-opened tube of industrial sized caulking through:

The only thing filling this hole was the flooring carpet inserted into it. At least now I have solved a bit of the reason as to why the driver side are gets so warm going down the road in 100F weather... This hole is big enough for a mouse, a rat, and probably for a medium sized squirrel or skunk to pass through... Gosh, what were they thinking?

Lesson here: make sure you use thick carpet if you are redoing the driver, and I assume the passenger side cab area...

Note: I would personally consider "Gosh" to be a trifle understated invective to be uttered/posted/hurled at the unknown dumb___ Airstream worker responsible for this failure, I have been cautioned that using dollar signs to replace the last 2 letters in a 3 letter alternative word for a donkey that starts with an "a" is inappropriate.

So. Back to the original problem. Has anybody removed this panel, and were there bolts into it from UNDER the plywood? At this point my options are to cut the floor out to investigate, or try and hammer the distorted panel back in shape and re-bolt.

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Great Falls , Montana
Wow that's a huge gap!! I have a problem with outside air getting into the driver footwell also but its coming from under the dash, sorta behind where the CB radio is mounted. The view from inside the front hood compartment appears to show a gap between the frame and the fiberglass curved body. My plan is to fill it with expanding insulation foam before the next trip. Its also somewhat visible forward of the left wheel from the bottom.

Good luck getting that gap fixed. Its going to make a HUGE difference once repaired.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote