Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St. Germain , Wisconsin
Door closer and left lean, 2005 30 LY

I need a new strut ( closing mechanism on the main door, anyone know the proper strength (lbs)? Also my unit leans left, any experience with springs or air bags that would help this problem?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Rolltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
What exactly do you mean by leans left? If the whole unit is sinking on one side I'd think frame problems or uneven loading?..... Why did the door break? Was that an accident or more evidence of a problem?

Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St. Germain , Wisconsin
Front end has been reworked before alignment, frame checked, rear springs seem weak loaded or not. Strut is just a gas operated shock absorber that wears out like those on the rear window of a pickup topper.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
I removed the strut on my entrance door and got a similar strut at Camping World. Been a couple of years ago and I don't remember the rating of the strut, but the one I got is too strong. My wife has a hard time closing the door from inside the MH.

Would suggest taking the MH to a shop that specializes in truck suspensions. You may have to install a new leaf spring on the low side or add an additional leaf to the existing spring. (Rear springs are leaf and front are coil) Has anything been modified inside the MH to alter the loading? Another thing you could do for general interest is go to a truck scale and weigh each corner of the rig. This is good information to have to determine the air pressure in the tires at each corner.

Enjoy your new rig and be sure to get a spare RGS for the Bendix AutoPark system.

Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote