Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Done lurking, time to buy!

I've reading & learning a lot & getting close to buying. I want a 30' LY. What are the opinions regarding 2001 chassis or older? 454 vs 8.1? Are the only options paint vs decal, all leather vs just fronts, levelers, multiple awnings vs 1?
garypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings From The Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
You didn't say -- slide or no slide. I can't tell on my driver and passenger seats what is leather and what is vinyl. I only have one awning; would prefer to have on all windows, but not a deal breaker. I think they all came standard with leveling jacks. Older rigs had TV in the dash. Newer, at least 2004 and up, had TV in kitchen/living area and the center dash area was used for storage behind two glass doors. My impression (don't take as fact) is that the 454 has less HP, torque and fuel efficiency than the later 8.1. Again, personal opinion, from what I have seen, the full paint jobs have been excellent. Ours is a 2004 and with an annual wax job, I still get asked if it has been recently repainted. Be aware of the factory stated towing limitations (as I recall, it is 4000 pounds). Again, in my opinion, the year of the rig is less important than its condition and how it was maintained. Best to find a well maintained rig; many out there have very low mileage. Do lots of searching, make a spreadsheet of each unit listing year, miles, options (very few options on these rigs), condition, etc. Take your time. Go to a rally and talk with owners. You have a local WBCCI unit in Denver and they have a Rally scheduled in Yuma, CO in early Sept. Also, there will be a Region rally (covers CO, AZ, NM, UT in Sante Fe, NM in mid-September. Ask lots of questions on the list.

Welcome to the list and keep the questions coming. In the 70's when we lived in Golden, we went to Lafayette to a little Italian restrurant. Don't remember the name.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to sort out what was optional on these to fix a value. This will be our 1st MH & if we like it there may be another so I will be careful of what I pay. Many sellers look at NADA & add what I'm finding was standard. That's also why I'm thinking of staying in this century. I've seen them w/o levelers & w/decals but what else? slide would be great but I think it adds a lot of value, more than what I want to pay, from what I've seen. I am looking all over the country so it's 1st trip will be to Colorado. And Sam the restaurant was probably the Blue Parrot? Gary
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I have a GMC Savanna van with a 8.1L engine and would love to have it in my LY. The 8.1L engine is a dream to drive. Tons of power and decent fuel economy. Given a choice between it and the 454 I would go 8.1 any day.
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Lake Odessa , Michigan
Smile 1998 land yacht p30

I have the 454 engine and have been very pleased with this engine. I avg 10 mpg. I took it around Lake Superior and it performed well. As for a slide out, if you are going to stay in one location for a period of time a slide out is nice. If you are doing a lot of one or two night stays you don't need a slide out. I don't have a slide out and really didn't want one because they are just another maintenance item and a source of leaks. I also don't have hydraulic levers and just use leveling blocks. However, this being said hydraulic levelers would be nice but not a must have. The land yacht is a terrific motorhome.
btuinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypk View Post
I've reading & learning a lot & getting close to buying. I want a 30' LY. What are the opinions regarding 2001 chassis or older? 454 vs 8.1? Are the only options paint vs decal, all leather vs just fronts, levelers, multiple awnings vs 1?
454 was used for a lot of years before 2000, right after 2000 they switched to Workhorse, others mention 454 as a great engine, my experience is that it is enough power to handle the load, but as you go up in years, hp is increased and towing capacity too. All options cost, AS buyers generally bought the options, mine came with awnings over most window, except front and back the two A/C handle the load much easier with them. 50 amp was an option but few have it, and it take 50 to run both a/c's simultaneously, with 30 you have to alternate or use the generator to run both at the same time. Leveler are nice but most campgrounds are level and if you don't mind the movement not really needed.
You can upgrade engine, towing capacity, wiring, tv's, everything is available but only you can say what is needed vs what is nice to have. Price plus options and don't forget you will need tires and all rubber goods, if original.
It took two years of looking before I found my perfect AS, and still managed to upgrade tv, toilet, wiring, tires, window treatments, replaced all brake pads, flushed systems, and still can find things to do.
Chef informed me she would like new back splash behind stove, getting it together at this time, while at it running in a new outlet at stove and fixing the hood vent. All jobs entail more than meets the eye.
Good Luck on finding the perfect RV.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Thanks Dave! Yours sounds & looks close to perfect,why dont'cha bring it on over here?LOL Do you have a build sheet on yours that says what was standard & optional from the factory? Gary
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypk View Post
Thanks Dave! Yours sounds & looks close to perfect,why dont'cha bring it on over here?LOL Do you have a build sheet on yours that says what was standard & optional from the factory? Gary
Attached specs from a 1999 very few changes from mine, if not listed then it was an option, by the way being a custom maker they would add anything possible if the buyer wanted it, so specs for options may not exist

I was under the misconception tow capacity of mine was 3000 pounds but this list shows 4000, my hitch is 5000, but I can tell the difference when pulling my Fit or my Ranger by the time it shifts. 2500 vs. 4000.

Still have west on the to do list, had been waiting for good weather, now it is the finding the time between fires.

ps. checked txt attachment and it added a lot of strange stuff, in the conversion from pdf to txt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airstream specifications 1999.pdf (800.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: txt airstream specifications 1999.txt (5.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Gary, this rig is on a list at the present (2004 Airstream Land Yacht 30' Gas Motorhome (C) | ViewRVs.com) No slide and twin beds. Twins can be a deal breaker, but if you like twin beds, it may help the price. I think prior posts covered what might be optional equipment on the Land Yachts. Awnings was a big ticket item for an option, as was 50 amp service. Both ACs are standard as are the hydraulic levelors and two TVs on newer rigs. If you are going to be in the hot weather much, it is good to be able to run the second AC. A separate 20 amp feed can be added to feed the rear AC. I haven't looked at the NADA prices in a long while, but when I was in the market, they seemed to be fairly accurate for MHs, if they had not double dipped on the options. Some people would take the base price that includes all the standard equipment and then add items like ACs as an add on to the price. We stay in one place for extended periods and really like the slide. It sure openes up the living area. My wife is sensitive to movements in the rig, so we always deploy the hydraulic levelors. As a suggestion, when you find an interesting unit, ask the seller to send you a copy of the window sticker (build sheet). Also, 26 ft LYs are the least expensive to get into, but the corner bed is a problem for some. As a plus, the short lenght and lighter weight makes this a very peppy rig.

Sam
Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Yes I saw that thanks. Actually been communicating w/ owner of 2001,full paint,full leather, multi awnings & levelers 42000mi, asking 20000. Trigger finger got stuck, he just called me to tell me it's sold. I will find mine!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Our 2005 LY had a visit to Banks by the PO and some suspension add-ons. I have no comparisons but have no drivetrain performance problems. I was just looking, but the options list is not scanned right now, but I have 2004 and 2006 owner's manuals.

The 8.1 has been very reliable but with only ~20K miles I had to replace the cat converters to pass smog last year. The rest is the usual stuff when you have a home on wheels, and we have not gone for long runs yet since I am still working full time.

When you do get up into the northern tier, make sure you get to the backside of Mt. Rushmore--it is a cheeky view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt. Rushmore...Canadian side.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	217192  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Dave, how about a picture or description of your new backsplash?
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelygoode View Post
Dave, how about a picture or description of your new backsplash?
Back and side splash was Chef's idea, all I did was the work
The new outlets replace single duplex and PO's addition of an electric bar, we only need one for the coffee pot which we had but I wanted to be able to monitor both circuits of the new 50 amp service, so one duplex is the normal ground faulted at breaker box and second one is the ground faulted at the duplex but is on the second circuit that is feeding the rear a/c.
Formica sheeting flatest surface without grooves for easy cleanup of the galley by Chef or even me.
Found a partial sheet at cabinet shop, used liquid nails for bathroom surround to stick it to existing vinyl covered plywood, I did put in a couple of screws just to make sure(hidden behind hood. Trim wood supplied by AS, reused two 4 inch pieces found in outlet box they used as a filler.
You will notice the hood light is different, LED subtituted for poorly installed halogen bulb that only lit the floor in front of stove not the dark back corner of the stove. While I had the microwave out I moved the refrigerator thermometer to the front.
Marine refrigerator magnet placed on the only metal surface in the AS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000216.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	218160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000693.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	218161  

Name:	P1000697.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	218162  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
That all looks very nice, thanks for sharing. We noticed you also shortened the lambrequin. Good idea! How did you cover the screw hole on the right hand side of the window? Our '97 LY is new to us, we've already done some mods, more to go! So we enjoy seeing what others have done. Thanks again!
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
DaveFL, I really like the LED hood light. Would you share information on what LED you used? That extra light is great.

I sure like the second circuit for feeding the rear A/C. I just installed mine in the Spring, but immediately found it was great for keeping an even temperature front to back.

Sam
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I sure would have liked the extra circuit as well. Any circuit diagrams available that would help in doing the install myself? I'm assuming it's nothing more then adding a transfer switch between the 20 amp leg and the generator output so that it switches out the genset when plugged into shore power on the 20 amp cord.
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...er-120210.html

Thats how i did mine. Its worked out real well. So nice to have the option of running the rear air off of shore power. No problem what so ever kerping the cach vety cool.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I sure would have liked the extra circuit as well. Any circuit diagrams available that would help in doing the install myself? I'm assuming it's nothing more then adding a transfer switch between the 20 amp leg and the generator output so that it switches out the genset when plugged into shore power on the 20 amp cord.
Circuit diagrams for my unit was for 30 amp service, AS used two 30 amp 120v transfer switches to do what one 50 amp 240v transfer switch can do. I pulled out the two and bought a 50 so I could have genset transfer it's two outputs with one 240v switch matching the new 240 cable coming in to the transfer box. Leaving the tranfer box my new circuit was routed to the line feeding the rear a/c, meaning I could then remove the galley switch and wire them direct to the a/c. that left me with the input wire from the old transfer switch which I used for the outlet in the galley, adding a circuit breaker at the transfer box and using a ground fault duplex. So the two duplexes in the box at the hood are separate 120v circuits.
I used 50 amp 240v cable but will only pull 50 amps off one line, and 20 amps off the other. Set up this way I can plug into 50 amp service or using an adapter, pick up 30 on one and 20 on the other if available. You will do the same by bringing in two lines, some places might object to you plugging in with two wires and the other reason I went this way is to keep it simple and take advantage of 50 amp service when available. Label all wires when you take them off, much easier when installing new stuff.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
As an aside, the circuitry for the transfer switches, at least in my 2004, is behind a panel to the right of the rear trunk. The panel can be removed with, I think it was, four screws. All the wires were labeled from the factory, so it was easy to see where the wires went.

I just added an option for feeding the rear A/C; I can feed it from the factory 30 amp plug, or from a separate feed from a 20 amp outlet. My solution looks to be about the same as referenced by MAYCO in the link above.

I like Dave's solution better, but I had already gone down my pathway.

Sam