Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Congratulations, Garypk on your new acquisition, and welcome to the airstream world!
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypk View Post
Now starts the adventure! Bought the '98 has jacks & extras.36000mi. Well cared for in great shape. 1800 mi away-flying in to NJ tomorrow & after a few days there getting to know it better, driving back to Colorado. Excited!
Good choice, best idea to hang around a couple of days, only the po will be able to give you a quick answer when you find a minor problem or question after purchase.
1800 miles first trip takes a lot of courage, but will be less stressful with a tow policy in place and tools for all minor adjustmemts.

Did you check the age of the tires? Michelin gives them 8 yrs, I had problems trying to get a few extra years when thread looked like new.
Have owner show you where the spare can be cranked down.
Good luck on your adventure, don't forget to use the cruise control, if it is running quiet and smooth, it is easy to go over the speed limit
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #43

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
New Port Richey , Florida
Washer/Dryer

Thank you all for your input concerning my washer/dryer question.
sakiracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Cool

The adventure update; picked it up on Monday, drove to PA border to brothers house. PO put in a new start battery after testing all 3. He also filled the gas & propane. His wife cleaned everthing, had bedding dry cleaned,bought us new sheets & pillows!Nice guy! Dash air doesn't work ,hasn't since 2001 leaks out the charge in 1 season. Hagled price walked out 11000 lighter. plugged in after 2hrs wife called in a panic co detector going off. Run back (out - errands)1 house battery 3 cells dry & gassing. Let em cool filled water try again- ok. Ck all systems, launch thurs am for Colorado 1800 mi. Get on rt 80 rides accelerates handles great, rain & all. Happy! 900mi in power loss- feels like fuel pump,filter,or vapor lock. Did I mention I'm a mechanic? Or that since we flew last minute all my tools are at home? Yeah. Waited 1.5 hr, tried again ok for about150mi. Took a nap. Rest of the way into Omaha ok.Showers brd down @ KOA hope to finish last 650mi tomorrow.I really like this thing!
garypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Made it in sat afternoon around 4. Wife drove from Julesburg (NE corner of CO) all the way home. No issues other than a little more vapor lock. I'll tackle that soon enough.
garypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
@garypk, great first drive, a nice adventure with enough minor issues to make it an adventure but not traumatic. since you are a mechanic. I blew the top off a house battery a couple years ago on the way to a rally, sounded like a blowout! the electrolyte was just bubbling away all weekend, so now I am more careful about proper charging. I like your exterior colors too, should be great fun.